General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Talk me into a 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

My All Season Perilli's made my SS/SC 2.0 a Formidible car in the Snow... I pulled up snow covered hills where other stock cards, aka Corollas, Mini-vans, and a Lexus couldn't.
I think the Perelli PZero M&S series is supposed to be pretty good in the snow.

- w
Old 04-25-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Woody
I'm sure the SC owners will be all over me, but I drove a SS/SC at lunch. I was rather let down. I expected the engine to kick my head back when I launched it, and it did not. I checked to make sure the a/c was off, cause I know that will really drag the acceleration on some cars - and the a/c was off. On paper the SS/SC should be faster than my Tiburon, but it did not feel any faster - in fact I think my Tiburon GT feels faster. So either its a very flat curve for torque on the SC, or I am getting more out of my Tiburon mods (CAI, performance manifold intake, Borla exhaust) than I estimated.

I think its time to drive a SS/NA again.

Beleive me, I'm not posting this to put anybody down. This was just my impression. Your mileage (impression) may differ.

- w
Do you know how to launch an ss/sc? Every car needs to be launcehed different.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:46 PM

Yeah, it feels that way man my Eclipse GST feels way quicker than my SS, but my god the the SS hands it to the GST.

I bet if you lined up a SS against your Tibby the SS will put cars on it for sure. I have done it many times. I think the TQ is spread so evenly over our cars it doesnt feel as quick as most cars, when it really is. If you get a Intake and a Pulley on the SS it does come alive.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:46 PM

Yeah I am sure your tibby isn't as quick as an 2.0.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:49 PM

i would rather talk you into the ss/sc as the insurance is the same and the performance is better.........
Old 04-25-2006, 03:52 PM

Talking

Guys,

It may well be a flat power curve. I had an Audi A4 with the I-4 Turbo. I had an ECU job done - I think they bumped it to over 200 hp, but it did not FEEL that fast. The power curve was very flat - no dips or surges. I ended up selling the A4, and getting a BMW 328i - that FELT a lot faster.

- w
Old 04-25-2006, 03:55 PM

LoL dude.

I would much rather have a car that is faster but doesnt feel faster than a car that is slower and feels faster. Just funny to think like that. But whatever. PS that is all jargon for ya.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:17 PM

I'm sure the SC owners will be all over me, but I drove a SS/SC at lunch. I was rather let down. I expected the engine to kick my head back when I launched it, and it did not. I checked to make sure the a/c was off, cause I know that will really drag the acceleration on some cars - and the a/c was off. On paper the SS/SC should be faster than my Tiburon, but it did not feel any faster - in fact I think my Tiburon GT feels faster. So either its a very flat curve for torque on the SC, or I am getting more out of my Tiburon mods (CAI, performance manifold intake, Borla exhaust) than I estimated.

I think its time to drive a SS/NA again.

Beleive me, I'm not posting this to put anybody down. This was just my impression. Your mileage (impression) may differ.

- w
Not sure how you got that impression unless you drove the NA/SS. Even so, I think that the 2.4 is as fast if not faster than a Tiburon GT. I raced one from a stop with my old Accord 4 cyl with nothing on it but injen intake and I was a car and a half ahead at 80.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:20 PM

I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with the car. If you are mostly gonna have it stock, for a daily driver, get the 2.4. If you want some good aftermarket from GM and other major companies for a lot of performance, I say go 2.0.

I spoke to the GMPP dude at SEMA and he basically told me that GM doesn't plan on releasing anything themselves such as a S/C or anything for the 2.4. With the 2.0, atleast you get support from GM with kits and what not.

Also, everyone can say they will do turbo with the 2.4 but there goes your warranty. With the 2.0 you get warrantied stage kits. I realize there are many thing that will void the warranty with the 2.0, but atleast you can get decent performance from the GM stage kits without losing the warranty.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Just curious, but where did you read the 2.4 has oil jets?
Pretty much everywhere it talks about the 2.4.

2.4 is getting some aftermarket for it. Vector Motorsports has several ecu tunes for it, hahn has a kit coming out, and Banks just bought a bunch of motors for testing so its getting some support from the aftermarket.

I love my 2.4 and dont regret getting it one bit. There's not alot of them out there and I like the fact that with a few drivetrain mods and some better wheels and tires, i'll be running with stock s/c's and i'm NA. It all depends on what you are looking for in a car.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:46 PM

get the SS/SC, youll be happy
look how many people here are trading in their 2.4's for the 2.0's
its reality, your gona want the 2.0
Old 04-25-2006, 04:47 PM

Guys,

It may well be a flat power curve. I had an Audi A4 with the I-4 Turbo. I had an ECU job done - I think they bumped it to over 200 hp, but it did not FEEL that fast. The power curve was very flat - no dips or surges. I ended up selling the A4, and getting a BMW 328i - that FELT a lot faster.

- w
It is as you say, a very smooth torque curve. Power build very quickly, but steadily all the way to redline. Check some of the dynos people have posted, usually about 90% of peak touque is from around 3k to 6k rpm. Big engine torque curve from baby engine size.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon97Z

2.4 is getting some aftermarket for it. Vector Motorsports has several ecu tunes for it, hahn has a kit coming out, and Banks just bought a bunch of motors for testing so its getting some support from the aftermarket.

I love my 2.4 and dont regret getting it one bit. There's not alot of them out there and I like the fact that with a few drivetrain mods and some better wheels and tires, i'll be running with stock s/c's and i'm NA. It all depends on what you are looking for in a car.
Ah, did another search and found it, thanks.

Still, though, the 2.0 is built for f/i, and the 2.4 is not. Not saying it can't be done, but it's not necessarily easy or cheap to get it done right. Without upgrading the internals, I'm quite sure the 2.4 will snap before the 2.0.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by k2kwj
id like to see some pics of your car dude because with all of the stuff you have done sounds like you have one bad ss
I will make sure i post some up when I get home from kuwait, I want to come back and put all the rest of my parts that i ordered just while i was here too. I think I have spent like 2 g's since the middle of feb, and that doesn't include what was allready done (aka what's in my sig). I'm getting all excited again, see what you did...I will post some up in a few minutes of when i put my drag radials on...
Old 04-25-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Enhance
Erhm yeah, your calculations are off. 9.9L/100km is only 24ish MPG

http://www.fadainc.com/mpg_100l.html
I was way off, I tried to recreate my results to figure out were I wen't wrong.. I couldn't.. no idea how I got a MPG that high, oh well.. thanks for the link
Old 04-25-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon97Z

WHat exactly do you plan on doing to your car? I seriously doubt it is that easy to run with a ss/sc or alot of 2.4's would be doing it.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:21 PM

It will be soon.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Just curious, but where did you read the 2.4 has oil jets?
Here you go sir. http://www.gmtunertour.com/index.asp...C31FDC66CC75C1
Old 04-25-2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by snowbred
Found it already, but thanks for the link.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:42 PM

Nice things the 2.4 has that the SS/SC dosen't.

1: Variable Valve Timing

2: Available Automatic

3: 17" Polished Wheels (lighter than the 18's)

4: Available Cloth Interior (for those that don't like leather)

5: Available Heated Seats (very nice in the winter)

6: Cheaper Insurance

7: A lot fewer engine related problems

IMHO N/A engines are easier to work with than F/I ones. There are a decent amount of after market parts out there for the 2.4... but for big horsepower you're gonna have to wait a little while for turbos and superchargers to come out.

For the heck of it... here's a list of mods that should make the 2.4 perform like a champ.

1: Cold Air Intake (AEM, Injen, possibly others)
2: Big bore throttle body (saturnmotorsports.com)
3: GMPP Exhaust Manifold
4: High flow CAT and custom 2.5" exhaust (name brand kits are too expensive)
5: ECU reflash (there are a couple of companies offering this now)

Not to mention some "universal" Cobalt mods... DC Sports Strut Bar, Lowering Springs, HID headlights ($$$).

Though the prices for some of this stuff are kinda high b/c of a lack of competition... don't let anyone tell you that there isn't any aftermarket support for the 2.4 yet... and don't forget... this car is still in it's first year of production. The 2.4 has only been on the market since August of 05... where as the SS/SC has been out since late 2004.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SilverStreak

IMHO N/A engines are easier to work with than F/I ones. There are a decent amount of after market parts out there for the 2.4... but for big horsepower you're gonna have to wait a little while for turbos and superchargers to come out.

For the heck of it... here's a list of mods that should make the 2.4 perform like a champ.

Not to mention some "universal" Cobalt mods... DC Sports Strut Bar, Lowering Springs, HID headlights ($$$).

Though the prices for some of this stuff are kinda high b/c of a lack of competition... don't let anyone tell you that there isn't any aftermarket support for the 2.4 yet... and don't forget... this car is still in it's first year of production. The 2.4 has only been on the market since August of 05... where as the SS/SC has been out since late 2004.
You forgot to mention a cobalt ss/sc wing so you can have the better looks.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by cashstacker
You forgot to mention a cobalt ss/sc wing so you can have the better looks.
LOL yeah.... that is true... I must say that the SS/SC does have the 2.4 in the looks department... I just got tired of everyone ignoring my 2.4... so I had to slap a bigger wing on.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by SilverStreak

Will be nice when tuning is available to adjust it

personal choice depending on what you like

18"s handle better but do weigh a slight bit more

Another personal choice

This is nice

Difference is very small, i only pay $25 more for 6 months on my GTO over my SS/SC

most of the ss/sc engine problems are already fixed or will be

8. The SS/SC responds to a smaller pulley so nicely and its a mod that cost under $100 but you get more power out of it than you would anything else.

9. Turbo coming out soo for the SS/SC so you could have a twin charged cobalt that would be insane.

Go with a SS/SC, it mods nicely and you can get a good amount of power out of it. I had all the bolt-ons on mine and that sucker hauled. I raced a mildy modded SS/SC and He didn't have a chance i would just run away from him. Get the SS/SC and have no regret.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:20 PM

I love the staged kits for the S/C SS. Keep your warranty no questions and more power!

But I have the 2.4L so thats just not going to happen for me. Theoraeticaly the 2.4L has tons of potential but would cost alot of money to get the most out of it.

I plan on CAI, ECU retune and maybe exhaust. That will have to hold me over a few years until the Camaro--or maybe the 2.0L Turbo SS (I am thinking that will happen)
Old 04-26-2006, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by cashstacker
WHat exactly do you plan on doing to your car? I seriously doubt it is that easy to run with a ss/sc or alot of 2.4's would be doing it.
The car already has Intake, exhuast, and ecu tune and was dynoed 159hp and 150tq on a mustang dyno. Best 1/8th mile to date is a 9.7 and i know it can go a tenth or two faster w/ more seat time. Header, short shifter, lighter wheels & tires ( I have the s/c 18's) cluth/flywheel and it'll be running 9.2-9.5.

Quick Reply: Talk me into a 2.4