General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Thinking about buying

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about buying

Alright guys, I am seriously considering buying this car. I want something that is quick, easy to mod, and not too expensive.

I had my heart set on the GTO, but it is out of my price range. I had the STI and it was totaled in a wreck(let the wife drive it. She is OK) I really wanted to get the GTO, but the idea of having payments the same as the STI did not appeal to me, thought that this might be a chance to get a less expensive car, but with a few mods make it pretty quick.

I am looking at the SS, from what I have gathered on this website, I can expect to have a car that runs mid to low 15's to hight 14's. What I want to know is with a few relatively inexpensive mods can I get the car into the mid 13's?

Any help would be appriciated.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:40 AM

WELL... WE'D LIKE TO THINK SO, BUT THE AFTERMARKET IS STILL DEVELOPING THEIR PRODUCTS FOR THE CAR....TIME WILL TELL...HOPEFULLY ITS A SHORT TIME
Old 08-28-2005, 10:23 AM

[QUOTE=sswhat?] What I want to know is with a few relatively inexpensive mods can I get the car into the mid 13's? [QUOTE]

Define what relatively inexpensive means to you.

I suspect that, unless your definition is a lot more generous than mine, the answer is no.

What is the best R/L e.t right now? Not a drag car, but a street car. That is your starting point.

I doubt very much that you are going to pull a CSS under 14 seconds on a regular basis without some suspension work and s/c replacement. Another 0.5 under that will be very, very tough for cheap.

I would, however love to be proved wrong. C'mon people make me a liar!
Old 08-28-2005, 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=olddude]
Originally Posted by sswhat?
I would, however love to be proved wrong. C'mon people make me a liar!

Wait until the tuner shops get in the computer and actually put a good tune in the pcm . The stock tune is horribly rich , which for GM is smart considering the boost levels . Once the pcm is sorted out , I would about garantee it would be cake to get WELL in the 13's with simple bolt ons and a set of drag radials . Just going of my personal exprirence with mine , Ive ran a best of 14.6@98 mph so far . But , thats with launching at idle to prevent wheel hop and going full throttle till well past the 60 ft . That was also in 90* heat . Plus the stock intercooler is uuuuuuh , lacking . A dual pass intercooler for one would make a HUGE diff . A 2) routing the coolant separate from the entire cooling system would also be of a huge benefit . Im gonna make a resevoir tank for ( theres PLENTY of room underhood to mount one ) with a pump strickly for the intercooler . That will also aloow me to beable to put ice water in there at the track .

Personal opinion , is the SS/SC is gonna resond LS1 well to simple mods if u can get the car hooked up and moving .

sswhat? - right now , there a few cold air kits coming to market , cat back exhaust , header , a 2.8 pulley kit with a piggyback PCM . All fairly simple and all budget mods . Plus the all forged engine is built to take alot more power . A saturn rep told me the stock 2.0 shortblock is rated to take 475 hp
Old 08-28-2005, 01:06 PM

Sounds good, but he wants to drop more than a FULL second off that time. I just do not see it being done with bolt-ons (unless you consider a bigger s/c a bolt-on) and a tune. I think they may well get down that low, but on the cheap? Sadly, I just do not see it happening.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:31 PM

Intake, Exhaust, New Pulleys, and when headers come out get them, or build them yourself. You will run 13's.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post