General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Turbo And Supercharged!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo And Supercharged!!!

Has anyone seen an article and/or does anyone have pics of the orange SS cobalt in the March Addition of Modified Mag... I looks like a project vehicle from Hahn Racecraft.... Turbo and supercharged... I'd like to get some more info on it and see more pics but i havent been able to find anything.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:28 PM

Ok this always boggled my mind. Can someone explain to me how this setup works. I understand the concept, but what I don't understand is how can the turbo push air into the engine if the supercharger follows the turbo. I thought the supercharger could only push so much air..?
Old 03-25-2006, 08:35 PM

theres a Cobalt SS in Modified Mag. Damn it made Super Street. Front page of Pasmag and now Modified Mag. not bad
Old 03-25-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by bluecobaltss06
Ok this always boggled my mind. Can someone explain to me how this setup works. I understand the concept, but what I don't understand is how can the turbo push air into the engine if the supercharger follows the turbo. I thought the supercharger could only push so much air..?
Well...there are a few ways to do it. The most common is that the SC inlet will be connected to the compressor outlet on the turbo with a diverter valve between them which leads to the intake manifold. The SC will come online at low RPM's and actually suck-spool the turbo. Once the turbo comes online (producing usable boost), it can feed the SC pressurized air which the SC will stuff into the manifold. This type of system operates on a pressure differential principle. When the engine reached a certain rpm and load, the diverter valve opens between the turbo and SC which allows boost from the spooled turbo to bypass the SC and go directly into the intake manifold. This is the simplest way but it does have some drawbacks from the pumping loss due to the fact that the SC assists with spooling up the turbo.

Another way is to add another diverter valve that bypasses the turbo into the airbox. this makes the system more flexible as you can run SC only, SC sucking thru turbo, turbo boosting only, or turbo boosting into SC into intake...but it is also more complex to install and tune.

I am sure that Twincharged has more insight into this application on the LSJ.

-P
Old 03-26-2006, 12:03 AM

If you want to SEE One you can go to the next SEMA show at Fort Washington PA..I am going and goin to take pics...they are going to have a twin charged 2.0L and Turbo info on Garretts turbo for 2.2L ...hard #s on paper....Ill have tons of pics for when I come home
Old 03-26-2006, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pully Police
Well...there are a few ways to do it. The most common is that the SC inlet will be connected to the compressor outlet on the turbo with a diverter valve between them which leads to the intake manifold. The SC will come online at low RPM's and actually suck-spool the turbo. Once the turbo comes online (producing usable boost), it can feed the SC pressurized air which the SC will stuff into the manifold. This type of system operates on a pressure differential principle. When the engine reached a certain rpm and load, the diverter valve opens between the turbo and SC which allows boost from the spooled turbo to bypass the SC and go directly into the intake manifold. This is the simplest way but it does have some drawbacks from the pumping loss due to the fact that the SC assists with spooling up the turbo.

Another way is to add another diverter valve that bypasses the turbo into the airbox. this makes the system more flexible as you can run SC only, SC sucking thru turbo, turbo boosting only, or turbo boosting into SC into intake...but it is also more complex to install and tune.

I am sure that Twincharged has more insight into this application on the LSJ.

-P
Thanks for the reply and the information. That's pretty sweet, it makes sense now =)
Old 03-26-2006, 04:29 AM

I've always wondered how twincharging works, but it makes sense now that it's been explained a bit. I've thought about doing this to my car down-the-road, but have not decided on it yet.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by 05BlackCobaltSS
I've always wondered how twincharging works, but it makes sense now that it's been explained a bit. I've thought about doing this to my car down-the-road, but have not decided on it yet.
If you want a really cool example of a well engineered OEM system, you should google the new "VW Golf TSI". It has a 1.4L twincharged engine that puts out 170HP and close to 200 ft/lbs of TQ while getting over 40 MPG. There are some good writups on its operation as well as some awsome cutaway diagrams on how it all works.

-P
Old 03-27-2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 9JordonFlex9
If you want to SEE One you can go to the next SEMA show at Fort Washington PA..I am going and goin to take pics...they are going to have a twin charged 2.0L and Turbo info on Garretts turbo for 2.2L ...hard #s on paper....Ill have tons of pics for when I come home

Well let me know when u get the pics lol I live in FL so going to a SEMA show in PA is out of the question.. i dont want to see it THAT bad