General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

UAW is now on strike

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stangthang
I pay for doctor visits. Why cant they? What, you have a busy life? I have quadruplet 2 year old girls to take care of. Beat that. I worked my way through college too. So??
Yes, I guess we should all live shitty lives like you. Oh wait, some people were smart enough to figure out a way to get better wages and benefits. Why are you hating? Jealous much?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by g5mike
they should make concessions,Gm is already shifting their workforce to Korea and Mexico.
**** two weeks ago GM layed off thousands in Canada and they make half the American wage, and GM did this to try and save jobs in the states
My point exactly. It is time for GM workers to realize they might have to start paying their share of benefits, just like most other occupations in our country. My wife is a registered nurse at a hospital, think we get FREE visits ther? No way.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:42 PM

I pay for doctor visits. Why cant they? What, you have a busy life? I have quadruplet 2 year old girls to take care of. Beat that. I worked my way through college too. So??
i'm not saying my life is the hardest. i'm making a point.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 07cobaltss
they are separated... but nice try.
800 dollars a week is still a nice payday considering that most of america barely makes 20K a year.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by UmeNNis
Yes, I guess we should all live shitty lives like you. Oh wait, some people were smart enough to figure out a way to get better wages and benefits. Why are you hating? Jealous much?
Did I say my life is *shitty* ?? My life is great. My point was, lots of people bust ass everday. Not all of us make almost $30 an hour threading a nut on a bolt.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:43 PM

+ rep for that
Old 09-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Onyxd04Redline
800 dollars a week is still a nice payday considering that most of america barely makes 20K a year.
That is incorrect; that is below current poverty level.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:45 PM

Did I say my life is *shitty* ?? My life is great. My point was, lots of people bust ass everday. Not all of us make almost $30 an hour threading a nut on a bolt.
30 an hour, sorry they dont make that much. lol

That is incorrect; that is below current poverty level.
lol no ****. how do you live on that? let alone buy a new car?

Last edited by 07cobaltss; 09-24-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 PM

I agree. The wealth of society lives on the backs of the workers. Just like every society, like fuedalism, kings and castles. The upper class needs to realize they have it pretty good, and not take advantege. Otherwise,... revolution.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 PM

Dude, that's all it is, jealousy. People get all ass-hurt that some people are smart enough to figure out that they can ask for more money; and get it! Okay, I can understand if someone is pissed about how much teachers make, or correction officers, or something government related (where our tax dollars are paying), but in a business situation, unless you are a major shareholder of said company (GM in this case), stfu. If you don't like it, vote with your dollar, and don't buy the product. I'm done with this stupid thread. 'Nuff said.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:50 PM

30 an hour, sorry they dont make that much. lol

lol no ****. how do you live on that? let alone buy a new car?
What, like $28.75?? New employees make like $25.00 an hour?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:53 PM

reading the posts makes me more and more happy about joining the military. As long as there is a republican in office i get a 2 to 3% raise every jan 1st.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM

seriously... even though i hate you still.. i feel raped siding with you on this one but god damn
Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM

Dude, that's all it is, jealousy. People get all ass-hurt that some people are smart enough to figure out that they can ask for more money; and get it! Okay, I can understand if someone is pissed about how much teachers make, or correction officers, or something government related (where our tax dollars are paying), but in a business situation, unless you are a major shareholder of said company (GM in this case), stfu. If you don't like it, vote with your dollar, and don't buy the product. I'm done with this stupid thread. 'Nuff said.
Who's jealous, me? Hardly. My Dad gave my brother and I an OK life working at GM. My Mom worked harder for almost minimum wage as a secretary. Some people dont get paid what they are worth, others are way overpaid.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:55 PM

What, like $28.75?? New employees make like $25.00 an hour?
My dad is skill trade tool n die. He has been working for GM for almost 40 years now he makes $38.50 per hour
Old 09-24-2007, 02:55 PM

If you have any GM stock i suggest you sell it now.

wow that was a weak ass comment, how many times have companies gone on strike? i just turned 20 a few days ago, my parents have worked at GM in janesville WI for almost all there careeres, over 30 years each. and with that time i have been alive i have known about at least 4 strikes just like this, they are renegotiating contracts, nothing that i would feel would cause the world to end and GM to not become the worlds largest automaker. this thing is going to be over in a few weeks. most of you are talkin like GM is the devil and stuff. i dont want to get to much more into this, just think alot of you are jumping the gun and getting way to worked up about this
Old 09-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Doc

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
reading the posts makes me more and more happy about joining the military. As long as there is a republican in office i get a 2 to 3% raise every jan 1st.
they union is whining .....try a few years in the military

all kidding aside, hope things get resolved...medical care is a top priority and without it a lot of people can't do basic things in their lives.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSS-supercharged
wow that was a weak ass comment, how many times have companies gone on strike? i just turned 20 a few days ago, my parents have worked at GM in janesville WI for almost all there careeres, over 30 years each. and with that time i have been alive i have known about at least 4 strikes just like this, they are renegotiating contracts, nothing that i would feel would cause the world to end and GM to not become the worlds largest automaker. this thing is going to be over in a few weeks. most of you are talkin like GM is the devil and stuff. i dont want to get to much more into this, just think alot of you are jumping the gun and getting way to worked up about this
yeah they are not going anywhere, i think at every renegotiation they have had a strike.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No jealousy here at all. I work for the railroad, waaaay higher paid with much better benifits then the UAW workers have so jealousy from me is NOT the issue. My issue is the greed of the UAW in general is ******* its workers out of thier jobs. The union thinks its doing a wonderful job but what its doing is driving the jobs out of this country! They speek of protecting US jobs but its directly due to them that the jobs are leaving this country at an alarming rate. After the first UAW strike in the late 1970's look what happened to the US auto industry as a whole. More people bought imports, us cars started to suck ass and just went down from there till recently. Now the wonderful UAW s doing it to us again. I wonder what the next few years will bring, more imports, lower quality of US built cars, more shitty ass cars that noone wanst to own? Its hard to tell but I'm sure it won't be any good for any of us.

I give it 10 maybe 15 years and their will be NO cars made in the US anymore unless by unorganized labor. Way to go UAW! Don't you know when thier are NO MORE auto workers their will be no more UAW?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:01 PM

yeah they are not going anywhere, i think at every renegotiation they have had a strike.
exactly, sure lets join ships with another sinking company, Ford any one? YA RIGHT
Old 09-24-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jackalope
No jealousy here at all. I work for the railroad, waaaay higher paid with much better benifits then the UAW workers have so jealousy from me is NOT the issue. My issue is the greed of the UAW in general is ******* its workers out of thier jobs. The union thinks its doing a wonderful job but what its doing is driving the jobs out of this country! They speek of protecting US jobs but its directly due to them that the jobs are leaving this country at an alarming rate. After the first UAW strike in the late 1970's look what happened to the US auto industry as a whole. More people bought imports, us cars started to suck ass and just went down from there till recently. Now the wonderful UAW s doing it to us again. I wonder what the next few years will bring, more imports, lower quality of US built cars, more shitty ass cars that noone wanst to own? Its hard to tell but I'm sure it won't be any good for any of us.

I give it 10 maybe 15 years and their will be NO cars made in the US anymore unless by unorganized labor. Way to go UAW! Don't you know when thier are NO MORE auto workers their will be no more UAW?
It isn't only the UAW asking for more, it's also the company. One could also argue the company is being greedy by paying too high a dividend to shareholders or paying executives too much in salaries and bonuses at the same time moving jobs overseas.

No matter how much the union will bend over for the company and give concessions, the company will continually ask for more and threaten to take the jobs overseas.

In contract/agreement negotiations, neither party is ever satisfied. Anyone who has actually read section 6 notices before negotiations can attest to that.

Originally Posted by Acidangel_5.0
useless dribble and name calling blah blah.....

i mean ****.. just because you cry doesnt mean you get what you want.. take your diapers off and live with what you got..
So why shouldn't the company, shareholders and executives be expected to live to this same statement?

Last edited by Witt; 09-24-2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-24-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
My dad is skill trade tool n die. He has been working for GM for almost 40 years now he makes $38.50 per hour
Hey, nice paycheck I bet. I am actually FOR the workers at GM, just wish they would realize that these types of jobs are becoming hard to find in the US. I want your parents to continue to make that wage, and all GM workers. They just have to realize that it might be time to give a little to keep a pretty nice job. I doubt they will go homeless or whayever, unless they keep thinking that type of job is owed to them. I love GM, the workers too, "why cant everyone just get along?" Let's not cut our own throats.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
It isn't only the UAW asking for more, it's also the company. One could also argue the company is being greedy by paying too high a dividend to shareholders or paying executives too much in salaries and bonuses at the same time moving jobs overseas.

No matter how much the union will bend over for the company and give concessions, the company will continually ask for more and threaten to take the jobs overseas.

In contract/agreement negotiations, neither party is ever satisfied. Anyone who has actually read section 6 notices before negotiations can attest to that.

So why shouldn't the company, shareholders and executives be expected to live to this same statement?
yeah i dont see the shareholders and executives taking pay cuts, and loosing benefits.

Hey, nice paycheck I bet. I am actually FOR the workers at GM, just wish they would realize that these types of jobs are becoming hard to find in the US. I want your parents to continue to make that wage, and all GM workers. They just have to realize that it might be time to give a little to keep a pretty nice job. I doubt they will go homeless or whayever, unless they keep thinking that type of job is owed to them. I love GM, the workers too, "why cant everyone just get along?" Let's not cut our own throats.
agreed. GM also offered a buy out for the GM employees to help cut jobs, this was a few years ago tho.

Last edited by 07cobaltss; 09-24-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-24-2007, 03:19 PM

yeah i dont see the shareholders and executives taking pay cuts, and loosing benefits.

agreed. GM also offered a buy out for the GM employees to help cut jobs, this was a few years ago tho.

YES they did, and how much did GM lose when they did that? how many people were givin an opportunity because of that. i personally know a few guys a few years older then me that took the buy out. 60xxx he took to go back to school and get a better job, sets him back a few years but GM is doing alot of work to satisify there employees.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:22 PM

Free health care in canada... Toyota is already building a few plants

Quick Reply: UAW is now on strike