General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

UAW is now on strike

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueSS-supercharged
YES they did, and how much did GM lose when they did that? how many people were givin an opportunity because of that. i personally know a few guys a few years older then me that took the buy out. 60xxx he took to go back to school and get a better job, sets him back a few years but GM is doing alot of work to satisify there employees.
lol personally i don't think GM really cares about there employees to the point to where the reps and executives will take cuts. becuase they know that the jobs at their plants are wanted. one position opened up here in fort wayne, and they put it in the paper. after 1 week of it being posted they had 37,000 people apply for that job. but am i in no way saying they abuse their employees but they could find replacements in a heart beat, and they know that.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:27 PM

This thread angers me on so many levels. People in here bitch that just because some are angry that they will have to pay more for their benefits, that they are stupid. Have you ever worked for GM? My Grandfather worked for GM in their NY based plant prior to it shutting down and he has permanent disabilities, and they are cutting his retirement plans, and health care benefits.

If ya'll have such an issue with how much people are getting paid and that they have good benefits, then why don't you persue that type of career? Not your choice of job? Then why bitch? All ya'll bandwagon jumpers, if GM did this or GM did that, I'm buying a Ford. Get outta here. I'm 27 and GM is all that I have ever owned and all that I will ever own.

Oh yeah, lets fire all the employees, have the plants completely run by machines and put even more of our own damn people in poverty because of lack of jobs. The problem with our country, is that a good majority of ya'll take **** for granted. No one in this damn country looks out for anyone but Numero Uno, and that includes the corporate ***** that are screwing over the workers. ****, even the damn military is political anymore. I miss living in Italy more and more everyday. Family is number one in their books, you don't have alcohol abuse, or child abuse or rapists or all kinds of people abusing others and ****.

I love America, and I do love my people, otherwise I wouldn't have joined the military to defend any of ya'll, yes...even you pecker sniffers that come onto our Cobalt site poppin **** about the most retarded of things, and you peoples that have nothing but negative comments about GM, and Cobalts, and whatever idiot comments that you throw in that has no bearing on anything. GM has been around for a long time and they're not going anywhere anytime soon, nor are the strikes going to stop. This isn't the first strike and won't be the last. ****, would ya'll be this angry if the Railroad went on strike, or any of the bus companies?? Come on now....
Old 09-24-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1gmfanatik
This thread angers me on so many levels. People in here bitch that just because some are angry that they will have to pay more for their benefits, that they are stupid. Have you ever worked for GM? My Grandfather worked for GM in their NY based plant prior to it shutting down and he has permanent disabilities, and they are cutting his retirement plans, and health care benefits.

If ya'll have such an issue with how much people are getting paid and that they have good benefits, then why don't you persue that type of career? Not your choice of job? Then why bitch? All ya'll bandwagon jumpers, if GM did this or GM did that, I'm buying a Ford. Get outta here. I'm 27 and GM is all that I have ever owned and all that I will ever own.

Oh yeah, lets fire all the employees, have the plants completely run by machines and put even more of our own damn people in poverty because of lack of jobs. The problem with our country, is that a good majority of ya'll take **** for granted. No one in this damn country looks out for anyone but Numero Uno, and that includes the corporate ***** that are screwing over the workers. ****, even the damn military is political anymore. I miss living in Italy more and more everyday. Family is number one in their books, you don't have alcohol abuse, or child abuse or rapists or all kinds of people abusing others and ****.

I love America, and I do love my people, otherwise I wouldn't have joined the military to defend any of ya'll, yes...even you pecker sniffers that come onto our Cobalt site poppin **** about the most retarded of things, and you peoples that have nothing but negative comments about GM, and Cobalts, and whatever idiot comments that you throw in that has no bearing on anything. GM has been around for a long time and they're not going anywhere anytime soon, nor are the strikes going to stop. This isn't the first strike and won't be the last. ****, would ya'll be this angry if the Railroad went on strike, or any of the bus companies?? Come on now....
this is the best comment I've read on this subject. if i could give you another rep for this thread i would...lol
Old 09-24-2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by 07cobaltss
this is the best comment I've herd on this subject. if i could give you another rep for this thread i would...lol
Thank you...I've repped you already too.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:34 PM

Thank you...I've repped you already too.
yeah i noticed i jumped up 34 rep points, i was like wtf! baddass
Old 09-24-2007, 03:36 PM

LMAO!! What can I say, I aim to please...Did that sound gay??
Old 09-24-2007, 03:39 PM

LMAO!! What can I say, I aim to please...Did that sound gay??
lol yeah a little, but i liked it
Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 PM

I vote admins remove a rep pt from each of these guys for flirting.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM

Good post.

If the railroads went on strike, I would be out of a paycheck for a little while but it would be for the better....that is if we had the required government approval to strike.

Kinda sad when this country's number one private employer was at one time (1970) General Motors but now is WalMart.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 06CorvaltSS
I vote admins remove a rep pt from each of these guys for flirting.
lol i'll give you some to
Old 09-24-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
Good post.

If the railroads went on strike, I would be out of a paycheck for a little while but it would be for the better....that is if we had the required government approval to strike.

Kinda sad when this country's number one private employer was at one time (1970) General Motors but now is WalMart.
Thank you..You are right, and what's even funnier about that is that Walmart sells Unrated Movies but has gotten rid of Explicit lyric CD's. Things that make you go Hmmmmmm
Old 09-24-2007, 03:48 PM

Wanna know why?

Here's the deal,
Right now the strike only directly applies to GM plants, like Youngstown and it all over whether or not the UAW will absorb the cost of retirees healthcare. The auto industry is pushing for this (a multimillion dollar annual burden for the unions) in an attempt to salvage their financial situation by pushing this off onto the unions books. It could apply to Delphi and other part manufacturers dependent upon what UAW international saws (which could put their fragile reccooperation from bankruptcy in jeopardy and force lay-offs if it goes on very long.)

Pulled this off the wire: (during the day I'm a newspaper reporter)

"Thousands of United Auto Workers walked off the job at General Motors plants around the country Monday in the first nationwide strike against the U.S. auto industry since 1976.

UAW President Ron Gettelfinger said that job security was the top unresolved issue, adding that the talks did not stumble over a groundbreaking provision establishing a UAW-managed trust that will administer GM's retiree health care obligations. Gettelfinger complained about "one-sided negotiations."

"It was going to be General Motors' way at the expense of the workers," Gettelfinger said at a news conference. "The company walked right up to the deadline like they really didn't care."

Gettelfinger added that the union and GM's management would return to the table Monday."
Old 09-24-2007, 03:51 PM

Nice post Cats..
Old 09-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Fair enough. Continue the love.

Might as well throw my $0.02 out there about the UAW, my father works on the dealership side as a parts manager, someone who is very skilled and has to deal with a lot more stress with meeting quota and keeping the general manager off his ass. Granted he makes more then $30 an hour, he's salary, but I am pretty sure if he were to stike, he'd be S.O.L and they would replace him with someone who could do it for less that would eventually learn the same task. Some of the factory workers jobs are a lot more basic then others, so its hard to say they all thread a bolt here and there. Some are constantly lifting wether machine guided or not, there is skill and strength required, but any homeless or minimum wager would do whatever they could to even make $15 an hour with **** benefits. So if you want to talk benefits, how about the benefit of telling your employer that you can kiss my ass until I get what I want without getting fired. I'll take that over a $50 to a $100 doctor visit here and there.

I lost train of though, ADD up the ying-yang over here. I'm gonna go ride a bike.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honestly, you guys are looking at it from the workers prospective and calling the execs and such evil.

Execs are the top level guys, they got the job based on who they knew or what they could do, and they do it well. Their job is to make the most amount of money possible for the company while keeping everything in order.

you think its easy for the investors and execs to go through this? you think they dont take hard hits, if the company does bad they do bad too.

learn basic business skills then talk bad about the execs and such, their just an easy group for all of you to blame, because their just doing their job just like the UAW and workers.

oh and about the 11 million dollar a year thing, your being hipocritical. your saying they make more then you and they should make less. you stated that was wrong in previous pages
Old 09-24-2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by 06CorvaltSS
Fair enough. Continue the love.

Might as well throw my $0.02 out there about the UAW, my father works on the dealership side as a parts manager, someone who is very skilled and has to deal with a lot more stress with meeting quota and keeping the general manager off his ass. Granted he makes more then $30 an hour, he's salary, but I am pretty sure if he were to stike, he'd be S.O.L and they would replace him with someone who could do it for less that would eventually learn the same task. Some of the factory workers jobs are a lot more basic then others, so its hard to say they all thread a bolt here and there. Some are constantly lifting wether machine guided or not, there is skill and strength required, but any homeless or minimum wager would do whatever they could to even make $15 an hour with **** benefits. So if you want to talk benefits, how about the benefit of telling your employer that you can kiss my ass until I get what I want without getting fired. I'll take that over a $50 to a $100 doctor visit here and there.

I lost train of though, ADD up the ying-yang over here. I'm gonna go ride a bike.
True to an extent. What you're saying is that they should take getting low-balled and stepped on, lying down. Why should they stand up against the bullies that are trying to screw em out of their hard earned benefits when they can just let them take em for all they are worth?? What if the rest of our country just let the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer, and no one ever stood up for what they believed in or defended themselves? We would be another 3rd world country with too many powers that be. I'm tired of going to NY to visit my slowly dying Grandfather tell me about how fockers like them, keep shafting him out of more and more benefits and retirement money. **** that!!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 PM

Damn GM, I might lose my job because of this ****!!! I work for a GM supplier and 50-65% of our business is GM so layoffs and cut backs are coming. So hopefully i'll go to work tomorrow and still have a job!!! So if anybody know's of some decent job openings let me know!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Moza13-
honestly, you guys are looking at it from the workers prospective and calling the execs and such evil.

Execs are the top level guys, they got the job based on who they knew or what they could do, and they do it well. Their job is to make the most amount of money possible for the company while keeping everything in order.

learn basic business skills then talk bad about the execs and such, their just an easy group for all of you to blame, because their just doing their job just like the UAW and workers.you think its easy for the investors and execs to go through this? you think they dont take hard hits, if the company does bad they do bad too.

oh and about the 11 million dollar a year thing, your being hipocritical. your saying they make more then you and they should make less. you stated that was wrong in previous pages
You missed the point. People here were stating that GM was threatening to take jobs overseas because of so called overpaid workers not willing to take concessions. The point was, why should a certain group of workers be forced to take concessions while others are recieving multimillion dollar paychecks and at the same time crying about how broke the company is?

If the company does bad they do bad too. But thats exactly what was trying to be explained, the execs aren't doing bad if they are collecting in excess of 11 million dollars in salaries between the 3 of them. If the company is doing so bad to not want to negotiate a contract then why are these lofty salaries still being paid?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
You missed the point. People here were stating that GM was threatening to take jobs overseas because of so called overpaid workers not willing to take concessions. The point was, why should a certain group of workers be forced to take concessions while others are recieving multimillion dollar paychecks and at the same time crying about how broke the company is?

If the company does bad they do bad too. But thats exactly what was trying to be explained, the execs aren't doing bad if they are collecting in excess of 11 million dollars in salaries between the 3 of them. If the company is doing so bad to not want to negotiate a contract then why are these lofty salaries still being paid?
Like he^ has said before GM is making alot of money. to me this looks like greediness on GM's part due to the fact that the executives are still making 11 million salary

Originally Posted by Moza13-

you think its easy for the investors and execs to go through this? you think they dont take hard hits, if the company does bad they do bad too.

learn basic business skills then talk bad about the execs and such, their just an easy group for all of you to blame, because their just doing their job just like the UAW and workers.

no i think we are saying that if the workers are going to lose benefits and pay... why should the executives make more? or not lose anything? THATS hypocritical.

Last edited by 07cobaltss; 09-24-2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-24-2007, 04:27 PM

^X like a quadrillion or some junk
Old 09-24-2007, 04:36 PM

^
Old 09-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UmeNNis
Dude, that's all it is, jealousy. People get all ass-hurt that some people are smart enough to figure out that they can ask for more money; and get it! Okay, I can understand if someone is pissed about how much teachers make, or correction officers, or something government related (where our tax dollars are paying), but in a business situation, unless you are a major shareholder of said company (GM in this case), stfu. If you don't like it, vote with your dollar, and don't buy the product. I'm done with this stupid thread. 'Nuff said.
Here in Phoenix :

Teacher's : 50K/Yr+
Correction's Officer's : 36K/Yr to start

Teacher's deserve great money and benefits. A bunch of lazy Americans who sit next to a production line and screw in 4 bolts into a seat don't.

I stand by my idea to replace all the UAW workers with robots and make the plants fully automated. **** would get done 60% faster.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Onyxd04Redline
Here in Phoenix :

Teacher's : 50K/Yr+
Correction's Officer's : 36K/Yr to start

Teacher's deserve great money and benefits. A bunch of lazy Americans who sit next to a production line and screw in 4 bolts into a seat don't.

I stand by my idea to replace all the UAW workers with robots and make the plants fully automated. **** would get done 60% faster.
Till you work on an assembly line you have no idea what you are talking about.

07CobaltSS:
I also work at FW assembly with your parents. The general consensus about this strike is that it wont last too long. Mabey a week at most. Hope that's true but we also need to take a stand against GM moving all of their operations overseas. That is what this strike is about. Sadly I'm afraid that it all starts and stops at Washington, and the fact that our politicians we voted into office fail to act and make it a level playing field. Our trade laws allow company's to have most of their production overseas with slave wages and import their products into the US. How can a domestic company compete with that?

We had to draw the line somewhere. This just happens to be the point it's drawn. Otherwise GM would **** us where it hurts, and still move their operations anyway. Our best strategy is to try and hold on to the plants that we have, because once their gone, their gone for good!!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:44 PM

In all, GM and the rest of the American car industry is one step closer to death! The execs. are killing the industry here, plain and simple!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:06 PM

Blame GM and they slow ability to adapt to the market, Blame Gm for building Cost effective cars at the cost of quality, blame your neighbour down the street for driving the honda.. But do NOT blame the UAW for this,
This is not about money wages or anything like , its about job security, health care, The UAW employess have already taken a pay cut to "help out" GM in 2006 the union re-opened an ALREADY bargined contract and made those concessions, This is ppls lives and lively hood on the line here? does anyone care about that? 200 FREAKING DOLLARS a week... But they wanna strike..!! ??
Give your collective heads a shake... NOONE wants this to happen not you, me, GM, or the union its just something that has to happen, and has been for years, For those of you that have no worked in a plant, where conditions are sometimes redicuolsy hot (NO AC, like some of you's who work in an office) or when you GOTTA ASK to go to the freaking Washroom, OR your off work for a month with a displaced disc in your neck due to the repetition of the job.. Unless you have worked their you have NO idea or even right to comment on this...

So when you see a family or friend driving a honda, kia, toyota whatever you blame them for GM'S ailments but bite your tongue when you wanna blame the UAW cause i can assure you its not their fault...!

I work in a GM factory and i can tell ya when it comes down to getting the cars off the line as compared to building them with alittle more care and quality you tell me what GM picks.? and this is why PPL are going elsewhere... So many time cars are just stamped off, sent down the line without parts, windshields, seatbelts, airbags, engines, dashes.. and then its up to everyone else (the workers) to chase down these cars after they are built to fix them.. Well, these cars are big puzzles, we know nothing fit rights when ya do that... I could tell you so many horror stories but its not needed at this point... there is more to this "work action" then what you know or could even understand...!!

My plant is currently laid-off for a week now and one in oct WHY do you ask?? poor sales.. Yu tell me who fault that is??, For sure not the workers..!!

END RANT..!

Solidarity in Numbers...!!!

Quick Reply: UAW is now on strike