General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Warranty Denied...all read

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if someone mentioned this, but go back to the dealership and tell them the magnusson-moss act covers you. This law requires the dealership to provide a written statement of what you have modified that would effect the part that is not working properly. This is like a last step thing to do, but unless they can prove something you have added screwed up your tranny, they have to fix it under warranty.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
we tried that... but I do have a spare tranny... and will probably end up installing it in his car for him free of charge... only thing that sucked is the missed work... but still I can understand clutches breaking.... or axles snapping... but the tranny getting stuck in gear like that is a new one to me.... I've seen diff's blown out the back of the tranny's mounts ripped out leaving grapefruit size holes... but this is the first I"ve seen do this...
Old 09-27-2006, 11:06 AM

by the way... with problems mentioned above... they were covered under warranty
Old 09-27-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobalts are so new that nobody should be experincing these kindas of problems. GM even says you had beat on the cars and they will stand up to it. SS and SS/SC are supposed to be built for racing and performance, yeas service has to prove the the part you put on caused the malfuction. The dealerships just want you to roll over and pay them to fix it cause they will make more money, they will tell GM what ever just to make sure they are on there side.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by vandy0419
I'm not sure if someone mentioned this, but go back to the dealership and tell them the magnusson-moss act covers you. This law requires the dealership to provide a written statement of what you have modified that would effect the part that is not working properly. This is like a last step thing to do, but unless they can prove something you have added screwed up your tranny, they have to fix it under warranty.

Again, he was modified and the dealership can just say "you had more hp then stock and the tranny wasn't built for that." Thus your warranty is denied. It really is that simple.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's hilarious when people race a car, then have a racing-related failure, and then scream for GM to fix it. When in reality, it seems people are mad that GM was correct about it being driver abuse, and they're deception was caught.

GM DOES troll these boards, we've seen pages from the forums printed out for people at Saturn dealers.

There are clear signs when a tranny has failed, and when it has been abused. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Whenever one of these threads comes up, the statement "Yea, but I don't launch it hard at the track...", always seems to come outta the original poster's text.... how odd...

If you have tranny mounts in the car, there's really only one reason to have them...
Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 AM

Sometimes it all depends on the delaership.

I had the ever re-ocurring warped/grooved rotor problem. The first dealership I brought it to resurfaced them no questions asked. When the same problem arised for the second time less than 3k miles later, I figured I could take it back to them and they would hopefully solve the problem once and for all.

Nope......they told me that now it was normal wear. Of course I argued with them but in the end, brought my car to another dealership. This next dealership replaced my old rotors with the GMPP cross drilled/slotted ones and haven't had a problem since. I now take my car there for everything.

All in all, what I'm saying is, you might want to give a jab at another delaership who will give you the time of day, and hope that this current dealer hasn't put a "flag" in the system about you.

Maybe someone can recommend you to a great dealer in your area.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:53 AM

well hell if my tranny could not hold 206 HP how in the hell can it hold 240 from the stage 2?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:01 PM

Thats another thing I brought up with the dealer
Old 09-27-2006, 12:03 PM

Spoon i remember that stuff my RL days. Are you still a mod or admin over there?
But anyway, Inhale, you gotta understand the stuff would not have broken if you were driving the car "normally". so when it comes down to it really is driver abuse. but i am on your side i understand that it is a "sports" car and youd assume that it would be able to handle that kind of stuff right? i would too but unfortunately it can't.
i see your from LI what dealership did you go to? just keep trying dealerships. try out hustedt, or smithtown chevy, or nessenger 112 chevy. you just gotta find the right people to deal with. Good luck man.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by X3r0
well hell if my tranny could not hold 206 HP how in the hell can it hold 240 from the stage 2?

stage II is a different animal. It is GM backed and if they install it GM warrantied. None of the parts this guy has on his car are GM warrantied. That's the difference. In a way there is no difference and I see your point but from a legal standpoint there is a big difference. With stage II Gm says "we designed it to work with this car and the other stock components." While with a dp or intake they say "we didn't design those, they aren't ours, they aren't meant to be with this car and the extra hp created by them is what caused the failure."

See the difference? Yes stage II makes more ponies but GM backs it. If you want to keep your warranty, you have to play by their rules. You can go shouting Moss-Magnusson all you want, but it won't do you any good.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM

hustedt is already denying all warranty work on cobalts (minus normal int **** and slave cylinder issues) his car is at **** right now... I'll leave that for him to disclose
Old 09-27-2006, 01:46 PM

You guys that are saying he abused his car and he modded it and thats why it broke and thats why GM wont cover it you are missing the point that GM has a resposiablity here and they are not living up to it. Laws were created to prevent these exact issues. Thats what SEMA is all about most people this SEMA is just a large vendor show every year. The dealership is one that is manipulating GM and causing you guys to get screwed on your warranty.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:51 PM

there was a transmission out of a red Cobalt SS/SC in a box at the dealership i was at this morning. I was asked to look at it and just say what I saw before they told me anything about it. The clutch disc was heated up pretty good and had been scuffed right down to the rivets. It had gotten hot and suffered a huge load. I moved on to the pressure plat. The fingers on the throwout bearing side were all bent and scored. The disc side was blue-d, as if it had gotten really hot. There were chunks taken out of it. I got to the transaxle and the entire area between bellhousing and differential housing was gone. There were just chunks of diff missing, marks from where grenading metal had punched through the housing... the transaxle was completely destroyed. I was like, whoa.
Apparently, the gentleman that owned the car had been taching the **** out of the engine and dropping the clutch... that was the result.

Ouch. GM refused warranty on the box, clutch, flywheel, starter and axles... over $4000 US!

Scott
Old 09-27-2006, 01:58 PM

DAMN... well his isn't that bad... something cracked the housing and its stuck in gear... but I know his clutch was the only one around here that isn't slipping
Old 09-27-2006, 01:59 PM

Listen to this bullshit.

I had a K and N air filter with the bottom of my air box removed. So one day I go to start my car and it runs and turns off. Sounds and smells like the car is flooded with fuel. Running entirely too rich. So I take it to the dealer. They tell me they cant figure it out. Then they were like oh you have a K and N filter. All of the oil on the filter is all over the MAF which was throwing the readings off causing your car to run really rich. I said well I nearly completely dried off that filter A YEAR AGO WHEN I PUT IT ON. I told them I was not going to pay for the repair because that is not what the problem was. So then they do some more " work " call me back and say we have it documented and a picture taken the air filter was installed wrong. This allowed a gap in the housing and a spider got in there and made a nest. Which was covering your MAF which threw off the tables, which in turn made you run so rich your car was choking itselt. So I was like are you ******* kidding me ? First off dude how the **** is a spiders nest sitting in a tube with enough suction to pull a bowling ball through it when at WOT. Second off , how the **** do you put a filter on wrong ? Last I checked I screw it in there , secure it and done. So he said well due to the fact it was installed wrong this is not warrantied work. So now I can't prove that it was installed right, it is my word against theres. So I pay the $175 for removing my filter, oh and they removed my ngk plugs and said they were bad. Well I checked them before it went to the dealer and they were fine. Lesson learned stealerships are full of crooked bastards. So I talked to the dealership that sold me my car. They agreed to buy it back but could not give me the same deal on another ss/sc. I said I will keep the car until the SRT-4 comes out and I am then going to sell it back to them. As I was pulling out of the dealer my ******* leather shift boot ripped off....... So sweet....
Old 09-27-2006, 02:11 PM

Gm officially voided my warranty before I left the country. "GMPP Stage 2 in conjunction with your aftermarket high perfomance clutch altered the vehicles intended use, thus voiding your warranty." Bullshit! How about GM make a good ******* product for once. Our car was designed to be a tuner car, that your not allowed to tune on though!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:36 PM

I know ain't that some ****
Old 09-27-2006, 02:45 PM

i hope you guys are aware that gm and lawyers do look at this site so if you try to make claims that are anything but the truth and possibly vioding the warranty of any nature they will find out
Old 09-27-2006, 02:46 PM

and that includes signatures
Old 09-27-2006, 02:49 PM

I know... I gave up on the powertrain warranty thing myself... I know thats done... but at least everything else is still covered
Old 09-27-2006, 02:54 PM

i dont give a **** about GM or there craptacular products. I loved this car and wanted so badly when I seen it at the auto show. I always discuss with my dealer what I can and can't do under the law and everything I have done is legit. If I have a choice I will never buy a GM product again. I hope GM and their lawyers read that. My immediate family owns a total of 11 GM vehicles. Everyone of us feel the same. BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA GM WAY TO GO !
Old 09-27-2006, 03:00 PM

This is my 24th chevy and probably my last ... sad to say.... I've owned everything from a 65 impala to a 95 lumina
in my possesion now are my 06 cobalt , 82 vette, and my 86 monte ss
just sold: 65 impala, 93 k1500 blazer, 85 monte carlo ls
and that was just this year....
Old 09-27-2006, 03:26 PM

Here's the reality of the situation: You've got to pay to play.
Here's what's wrong with that reality: The entire drive train of this car is weaker than Michael Jackson at a playground. To the person who says that GM backs all their Stage 2 stuff you should drive into the dealership without rotating their tires and watch them holler abuse. And the transmission obviously can't hold up to stage 2 if we have stock Cobalts blowing theirs to smithereens. GM defenders can say all they want, but you don't market a car as performance and then get mad when people drive it as such. These aren't minivans, they come with a supercharger for crying out loud. Because of the problems I've seen and the way dealerships treat people I'm going back to imports after my Cobalt. You can say all you want about econobox quality, but you don't see boosted Civics with the problems stock Cobalts have. Bottom line, GM is skimping on the warranty to up their profit margins, and it's going to hurt them in the long run.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You broke it at a track and you expect them to fix it.

You race it, you break it. If you havent been racing I would say you would have a right to be mad. And maybe it would have broke if you werent racing it. But you were, and it did.

Quick Reply: Warranty Denied...all read