General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Warranty Denied...all read

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Says the guy without torque
Old 09-27-2006, 07:19 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SS33
^Says the guy without torque
good one
Old 09-27-2006, 07:20 PM

The bottom line is, that it sucks for us a community of tuners. to have such costly weak links, but for those of us willing to bite the bullett and upgrade let's pray there aren't many other hidden soft spots
Old 09-27-2006, 07:20 PM

this thread scares me even though i just have a regular ss, but i do have a tune and a intake
.. but so far i havent had any issues with my dealership
Old 09-27-2006, 07:23 PM

same here i have a 2.4 and the dealer wouldnt cover my transmission because of driver abuse.......they said that my tires were to bald lol........... so i just tried another dealer and it worked out.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:24 PM

parts dont break on there own, its abuse seriously
Old 09-27-2006, 07:35 PM

Yeah, seeing whats happening with the sc's i really worry about the cars reliability. Stuff like this is why gm always screws up with the tuner crowd, you cant advertise a car like this and then cry abuse or void their warranty when the person has an intake or something along those lines.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by 06TypeS

^^^Opinions are like ********,,, and well you're an *******

Wait how's that one supposed to go?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:37 PM

In court, if GM wants to claim a HP increase issue killed your tranny, and that HP came from a CAI, then they would also have to explain why the warranty covered GM stage 2 and GMPP exaust which increases HP 10 times as much doesnt.

I agree, if you race it and you break it, you should be responsible to an extent. if you clutch goes, sorry your fault. Axle breaks, yup your fault.

Tranny goes, no way, a tranny was made to handle power and I dont care how bad of a driver you are, should be the last thing to go.

Engine. If you engine blows obviously it was a weakness in parts, and not the driver.

If the CobaltSS/SC wasnt meant to be fast, then they should have 1 MODEL of every car only. It should be a model that offers 40+ MPG and does not have 200+ HP to the wheels and a supercharger. those things are only needed for race cars. Also no stage 2 kit w/ increases HP should have been created if the car wasnt meant to be fast, and driven fast.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by snowbred
Yeah, seeing whats happening with the sc's i really worry about the cars reliability. Stuff like this is why gm always screws up with the tuner crowd, you cant advertise a car like this and then cry abuse or void their warranty when the person has an intake or something along those lines.
at leas u guys have stage packages honda/acura doesnt offer **** like that for the si or the rsx
but its the same for us if u do **** to ur car intake exhaust stage 2 and all that ****, that already gives them a idea that u drive fast and ura gearhead, there in buisness not to pay......

they would void us too stop bitching
Old 09-27-2006, 07:40 PM

at leas u guys have stage packages honda/acura doesnt offer **** like that for the si or the rsx
but its the same for us if u do **** to ur car intake exhaust stage 2 and all that ****, that already gives them a idea that u drive fast and ura gearhead, there in buisness not to pay......

they would void us too stop bitching
But if honda warrantied a stage upgrade for you guys, that made enough power to breake things, you'd expect warranty coverage as well
Old 09-27-2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by cawpin
You are completely off basse here. You admit that the Magnusson-Moss Act make sthem prove that your mods caused a failure. Then, you say that all they have to do is CLAIM that you added power and it caused the failure.

You are not grasping the concept of PROOF. They have to PROVE that your mod caused a failure. As in, beyond reasonable doubt prove. I can't believe the troubles these guys are having. It is just wrong.
I don't have the actual wording of the MM Act at my disposal so I can neither prove nor disprove its wording. However the issue at hand is where the burden of proof is. Does the dealer have the burden to prove the customer wrong? Probably. Would the dealer have a pretty easy time doing so? yes.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:42 PM

But if honda warrantied a stage upgrade for you guys, that made enough power to breake things, you'd expect warranty coverage as well
i understand what u are saying, but the car doesn't break itself.
its the driver. there not race cars... the person breaks the car
Old 09-27-2006, 07:43 PM

i understand what u are saying, but the car doesn't break itself.
its the driver. there not race cars... the person breaks the car
True what were we thinking putting miles on our cars.

Have you even seen the pics of a stock cobalt axle???
Old 09-27-2006, 07:47 PM

True what were we thinking putting miles on our cars.

Have you even seen the pics of a stock cobalt axle???
theres difference between putting milies on ur cars and bringing it to the track testing its full capablility.....
none of us are race car drivers theres gonna be human error and sometimes when that happens it cost $$$
when a dealer warrantees our cars they are promising to fix the car if problems proceed.
there not saying oh race ur car around build it up and if something happends will be here
Old 09-27-2006, 07:49 PM

Taken from some other posts that I have commented on....should read this one as well
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...t=26395&page=2

You are part right and part not. GM doesn't have to prove anything at first. They can say what they think the problem is, and its up to YOU to prove them wrong. This could involve expensive tests by experts to do. They know that the average person isn't going to go through with that. If you can't prove what GM said what happened with actual hard facts that will stand up in court, you have just lost my friend. I've seen it all the time.

Here's the entire Magnuson Moss Warranty Act: http://www.seniormag.com/legal/lemon...gnusonmoss.htm

Pay close attention to this section:

(c) Waiver of standards
The performance of the duties under subsection (a) of this section shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer product to conform with a written warranty, was caused by damage (not resulting from defect or malfunction) while in the possession of the consumer, or unreasonable use (including failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance).

maintenance).

You drag raced it at the track, I have no sympathy for you what-so-ever. I agree with others when they say you are committing fraud. Its because of people like you that give us HONEST people who have a problem with our cars when we bring them in for service at the dealership.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:35 PM

I dont want this to come accross as me being rude, but what you just said there is wrong, seriously.
you can not make such a claim when you have no idea how me, you the other SS owner does his driving.
If you sat there and called me out for driving my car hard, or abusing it, then I would reply with your out of your mind, not only for the fact the I didnt abuse it, but for the fact that you have no right to say that.

I for one am well passed my stage in life of showing off and doing burn outs, I see these kids around the down doing reverse drops in there civics and such, and it just blows my mine, why would I be so stupid to reverse drop a 30 grand car ? come on.

and besides the point, like I said in another reply....
I ask.... what is even the point of Gm making the SS (super sport) Model ?
they strap a big ass blower to the engine and your not allowed to drive it ? whats the point ?
the most abuse I ever put my car through was bringing it up to redline once in a blue moon, but you tell me where thats abuse ? If that is abuse, what the hell was GM thinking when they put a blower on that car, just for it to look pretty ?
if the tranny cant handle what the engine puts out in stock trim then whats the point, they are out of there minds.

Sorry if that was rude my Freind, This is just a fragile situation and abuse is not an issue on my end.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:37 PM

this is why im gonna wait till warranty is up than go mod crazy
Old 09-27-2006, 10:17 PM

You drag raced it at the track, I have no sympathy for you what-so-ever. I agree with others when they say you are committing fraud. Its because of people like you that give us HONEST people who have a problem with our cars when we bring them in for service at the dealership.

yes, i have drag raced it at the track. you tell me u never raced your car. u dont have to be a dick ya know. the transmission shouldn't break as it did. i wasnt driving it very hard, just normal shifting as i went. im not committing fraud because i believe the tranny did not hold up as it was supposed to. these cars are supposed to be built up to a sports cars' expectations. so 300hp is too much for a sports cars' tranmission to hold up to? if so, GM should have never released this car. i hope you have the same problem i have or worse so i can laugh at you, u moron. and you say your HONEST....tell us all that you have never lied, may GOD strike you with 1000 lightning bolts if your not HONEST. GM is a billion dollar corporation, they should stand by their products. i never intended this to turn into a flame match and its idiotic comments left by people like you that makes me hate the car even more. this is supposed to be a place where other drivers with the same car can get help and advice but people like you turn it into a macho match. if you dont have anything useful to say......

SHUT UP!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by marerick007
Pay close attention to this section:

(c) Waiver of standards
The performance of the duties under subsection (a) of this section shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer product to conform with a written warranty, was caused by damage (not resulting from defect or malfunction) while in the possession of the consumer, or unreasonable use (including failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance).

maintenance).[/I]

ok, so PROVE that i abused it. a downpipe, filter, and an aftermarket shift knob doesnt prove abuse. i have fairly new, non worn all weather tires on the front.....PROVE it was ABUSE.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by inhale
yes, i have drag raced it at the track. you tell me u never raced your car. u dont have to be a dick ya know. the transmission shouldn't break as it did. i wasnt driving it very hard, just normal shifting as i went. im not committing fraud because i believe the tranny did not hold up as it was supposed to. these cars are supposed to be built up to a sports cars' expectations. so 300hp is too much for a sports cars' tranmission to hold up to? if so, GM should have never released this car. i hope you have the same problem i have or worse so i can laugh at you, u moron. and you say your HONEST....tell us all that you have never lied, may GOD strike you with 1000 lightning bolts if your not HONEST. GM is a billion dollar corporation, they should stand by their products. i never intended this to turn into a flame match and its idiotic comments left by people like you that makes me hate the car even more. this is supposed to be a place where other drivers with the same car can get help and advice but people like you turn it into a macho match. if you dont have anything useful to say......

SHUT UP!
I have never raced my car on a track...don't see the need to now or ever. Just because I have an SS/SC doesn't mean I want to race it. All of us have no idea how you drive or shift. You could be feeding us a bunch of bull for all we know. If you feel the transmission didn't hold up to your expectations, that's fine...I can't change the opinion. Its very possible you had a defective transmission...I'm sure you are aware of all the transmission/clutch problems that everyone keeps talking about on here. I wouldn't be taking my 1st generation Cobalt that has widely known drivetrain problems to a track to get some drag times in it. I don't consider the Cobalt SS/SC a "sports car" in the first place. Looking at your sig, you had it tuned...messing with the OEM tuning will void your warranty instantly to begin with. They will probably find that out when they plugged it in the computer. I don't know if its that simple or not to be "HONEST" with you; but more than likely it is to help the dealership and GM avoid frauduant claims for service. GM is a billion dollar company..how did you think they got there? They didn't by honoring all warranties from every Tom, Dick, and Jane who came in. I'm sure the dealership has much proof as they need to keep you from getting anything from them. If not, they would of probably fixed your car.

If I do have a problem with mine, I'm sure something will be done with it. I have a good rep with my dealers. Not to mention, I don't even drive it much since its my wife's car. I paid extra for a 75,000 mile warranty, so I'm not going to do anything to mess that up.

If you want to insult me, go for it. I never said that I have never lied; so nice try with that. I was raised old-fashioned by my grandparents. I am an "HONEST" (too honest sometimes) person which why I credit them for passing on their values to me. Without them, I probably wouldn't of made it this far in life and been as successful at the same time. You'd be surprised how much respect a person can get from superiors for being honest and manning up to mistakes. Its called accepting responsiblity.

I didn't turn it into a macho match. Don't get pissed and vent on me since the dealership won't fix your ride. You should of known after putting all those aftermarket things and getting a tune; you would prob not have a warranty to fall back on. I gave you a link to someone else's problem and told you my "HONEST" opinion on it. Sorry if you don't like it.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by inhale
ok, so PROVE that i abused it. a downpipe, filter, and an aftermarket shift knob doesnt prove abuse. i have fairly new, non worn all weather tires on the front.....PROVE it was ABUSE.

Your right, what you listed above doesn't prove that you abused it. Most of the mods you have listed have voided your warranty....2.6" Hub and Pulley, HP Tuners Tune , ZZP Adj. Tensioner, 3" Catless Downpipe, Poly Engine Mount, 60 lb. Injectors
Old 09-27-2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by marerick007
Your right, what you listed above doesn't prove that you abused it. Most of the mods you have listed have voided your warranty....2.6" Hub and Pulley, HP Tuners Tune , ZZP Adj. Tensioner, 3" Catless Downpipe, Poly Engine Mount, 60 lb. Injectors
wow marerick007..shut up and stop blabbering. oh u have the hp tune so u void your warranty. oh u did this and that..opps no warranty. thats sayin if i install a GM stage II kit on a ss/sc it will void the warranty. from how gm is dealing with this problem is seems like any "aftermarket" parts void the warranty..how bout a GM Stage kit..thats voids it too. but yeah if my car came stock borla exhaust..thats void it too. shut up dude. inhales car is stock...and yeah he can drive..maybe ur the one saying all this **** cuz u cant drive. stop all this ***** sh*t. thank you.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by iLLmaTic3s
wow marerick007..shut up and stop blabbering. oh u have the hp tune so u void your warranty. oh u did this and that..opps no warranty. thats sayin if i install a GM stage II kit on a ss/sc it will void the warranty. from how gm is dealing with this problem is seems like any "aftermarket" parts void the warranty..how bout a GM Stage kit..thats voids it too. but yeah if my car came stock borla exhaust..thats void it too. shut up dude. inhales car is stock...and yeah he can drive..maybe ur the one saying all this **** cuz u cant drive. stop all this ***** sh*t. thank you.

Dude, what is your problem? I don't even understand what you just posted?!?!? The GM Stage kit won't void the warranty...they are GM parts.

How can you say his car is stock? Look his profile and the mods that he as done.

Why don't you learn how to make post that people can understand, grow up and then you can come back and talk.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:55 PM

Having worked at different dealerships it all depends on the situation. if your car was stuck in second gear is it possible that it was originally a clutch problem and the dealership based their decision on a) number of miles on the car (most dealerships only will warranty the clutch for 1 yr/12k miles) or the condition of the clutch (yes many times it is obvious if you abuse the clutch racing) ? it could be the dealer is afraid that if a gm adjuster comes out or they send the damaged part back to gm as required gm will kick back the whole warranty claim. therefore the dealership, service manager, service writer and tech will all lose money out of their own pocket and from personal experience i wouldn't want to pay for your abuse to your own car. when i worked at a dealership i got people who abused their vehicles all the time and wanted us to repair or replace parts for free (ie people would not rotate their tires or align their tires for 20k miles and then wonder why they were wearing so quickly and want us to replace them).
Having said that equally at dealerships i saw many tech's, service writers and managers deny warranty on baseless reasons just out of lazyness or greed. unfortunately mostly it was the tech's, tech's would see a mod or aftermarket radio and try to get the claim denied so they could make more money. for example a chk engine light update pays the tech .2 of an hour under warranty but the tech would want the customer to pay 1-1.5 hours just to do a reflash that took them 10 minutes. I even had one tech that everytime a car would not start under warranty would say it was bad fuel and if it was not warranty would tell me it needed a fuel pump, starter, battery and then their might be additional problems. the tech was best friends with the manager so needless to say i lost lots of good jobs when people pulled their cars and then got yelled at when they took it to another shop and it only needed a battery. also sometimes service managers have too high warranty costs and are trying to cut their warranty costs and upsell their customer pay so they make their bonus and do not raise the eye of their gm rep.
what you should do is first call gm. realize gm is a huge company and does not want to deal with bad press and the liability if the car is indeed damaged and they deny that claim. at last resort you can consult a lawyer but realize that the lawyer most likely will cost quite a bit of money and afetr reviewing the facts might not take your case. (remember a lawyer unless working on your case for free, wants to make money and a simple trans claim on a car is not a high paying case for the time he will need to spend)

Quick Reply: Warranty Denied...all read