General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below
View Poll Results: sc or tc
sc
54.97%
tc
45.03%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

what do u prefer the supercharge or a turbo charge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
Amen brother.... I could see myself pulling off the lot in my new LNF... opening the sunroof and the bezel landing on my lap. Then when I turn around to head back to the dealership, feeling a little clunk in the steering. Once they diagnose it, having them blame it on driver abuse.... then waiting 6 weeks for a replacement bezel after the shop monkey steps on the orig and breaks it... Also, telling me to please remove the AEM intake as it's voiding my warranty....

"Hmm let me get this straight, it's marketed as a performance/tuner type car and yet you're telling me to not tune it, or "performance" drive it..."

- True statement from me to GM. Its funny when I asked about modding the car before they got my $ it was all .. "Oh for sure, this car is designed for it ... yada yada"... Now everytime I bring it in I have to de mod, with the exception of my Corsa. BS. This is the same dealership that will go out of their way to ensure to void my warantee if I get stage 2.... Seriously. Its just made me get sneaky thats all... :P
i have stage 2 and intake that is it...i had transmission failure and they voided the warranty because they said since i have performance parts i must use the car for racing...its such bull ****. If they would take care of the problems like they should i wouldnt care a bit then it would be a great car but this abuse flag and voiding warranty bullshit totally turned me against gm and i dont know if i can bring myself to buy another one!
Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 PM

i'd rather be boosted than blown. GO TURBO!
CobaltSScrazy
Old 10-29-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Raven SS
Nissan R35 Skyline GTR V Spec.

The new Nissan Skyline GT-R due to be released 2008. Like the other skylines this model with have the same 4×4 system but instead of the inline 6. Will be a 3.8 Ltr V6 twin turbo. The new GT-R will have three versions - Standard, V Spec, and Evo Spec.
the Evo version will be sold a year after of stock debut = Oct/2008 in Japan, and will be limited production.

All models will have the same engine spec 3.8L Twin Turbo (not 3.7L), VQ38VHRTT 480hp 58.0 kgm Torque, however the Evo will a much lighter and have carbon parts all around and will be a 2 seater only. No rear bucket seats. These have been removed to save a few kilos.

Spy Photo of the New Nissan Skyline R35 GTR. Track tests in Germany.

Transmission is 2 Pedal Twin Clutch MT 7 Speed. All models include base model will have Paddle Shift, No 6 speed manual!
Nissan Japan is developing 6MT but for only the Race version in the N1 Japanaese Super Endurance league.

Heres a few videos featuring the new model in testing in Germany.

Pricing from the Nissan JP ordering sheet.

GT-R 7,770,000JPY (ex. TAX etc)
- Dunlop Sport Tyre
- Crome Colour Coat Rays Forged Aluminium Wheel
- Fabric Seat

GT-R Black Edition 7,927,500JPY (ex. TAX etc)
- Bridgestone Potenza Run-flat Tyre
- Black Crome Colour Coat Rays Forged Aluminium Wheel
- Fabric Seat

GT-R Premium Edition 8,347,500JPY (ex. TAX etc)
- Bridgestone Potenza Run-flat Tyre
- Dark Chrome Colour Coat Rays Forged Aluminium Wheel
- BOSE Sound System
- Thacham Cat1 Alarm
- Leather Interior

Factory Optional Parts
- Bridgestone Potenza Run-Flat Tyre
- Thacham Cat1 Alarm
- BOSE Sound System
- SRS Driver and Passenger airbag with Side Airbag System and Curtain Airbag System

Body Colour:
Ultimate Metal Silver
Titanium Grey
Dark Metal Grey
Super Black
White Pearl
Red

I guess the LNF isnt coming out either huh?!
lol sorry to prove u wrong bro but i mean damn what did u expect?

HAHAHHAHA WOW!

"first off i said r35 because there is a big difference between a infiniti g35 and a nissan skyline gtr 35 and if u have been to san diego and to fusions on a tuesday night u can see about 7-8..i would call that common for one place and thats just that night..then being in the navy there are about 4 more on my base..so yea common i would say compaired to 8-9 years ago..

oh and as for numbers this is why i would want a R35 my friend
Infiniti G35 280 HP @ 6,200 rpm; 270 ft lb @ 4,800 rpm
Nissan GTR35 473 HP @ 6,200 rpm; 434 ft lb @ 4,800 rpm

i lived in sasebo japan for 4 years and I seen 1...thats right in japan I seen 1 GTR and it was owned by an american...
but i'll forgive u for trying"

i hope you realize past tense /= present tense. You said you see them....and i said they don't exist. So how did you prove me wrong? Oh yea you didn't because they don't.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 PM

I'm a fan of a "whine" over the turbo "sneeze" (unless of course the turbo bov is routed back into itself, but that doesn't change my answer either.)
Linear power > lagged power (even variable geometry turbos have lag, just minute amounts)
Old 10-29-2007, 08:08 PM

TC all the way!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by hiPSI06
after owning a turbo'd car and a supercharged car...turbo all the way..nothing like feeling boost build and just keep pounding you back in your seat
x2. Anyone that votes supercharger over a turbo probably hasn't owned or truely driven one.

I'm actually kinda pissed about the turbo cobalt, cause its going to be twice the car the supercharged one is....and so much easier to make it go twice as fast.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 PM

Supercharged rules, I hate boost spikes!!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by DSMissed
x2. Anyone that votes supercharger over a turbo probably hasn't owned or truely driven one.

I'm actually kinda pissed about the turbo cobalt, cause its going to be twice the car the supercharged one is....and so much easier to make it go twice as fast.
x2. Everyone that says "whew an extra 30hp thats not that great!" doesn't realize this car is still gonna walk ALL OVER the stock lsj's probably even walk stage 2's a bit.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 PM
JMH

When I boosted my old Miata, I could have gone either way. I went with a blower because it produced more low-end torque, was cheaper and easier to install, but you still cant beat a TC for outright horsepower in the higher rev range.
The fact that turbos can be less than robust and very pricy to replace, was also a consideration.
I'm sure things have changed somewhat concerning their "heat issues".
Old 10-30-2007, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by cakeeater
HAHAHHAHA WOW!

"first off i said r35 because there is a big difference between a infiniti g35 and a nissan skyline gtr 35 and if u have been to san diego and to fusions on a tuesday night u can see about 7-8..i would call that common for one place and thats just that night..then being in the navy there are about 4 more on my base..so yea common i would say compaired to 8-9 years ago..

oh and as for numbers this is why i would want a R35 my friend
Infiniti G35 280 HP @ 6,200 rpm; 270 ft lb @ 4,800 rpm
Nissan GTR35 473 HP @ 6,200 rpm; 434 ft lb @ 4,800 rpm

i lived in sasebo japan for 4 years and I seen 1...thats right in japan I seen 1 GTR and it was owned by an american...
but i'll forgive u for trying"

i hope you realize past tense /= present tense. You said you see them....and i said they don't exist. So how did you prove me wrong? Oh yea you didn't because they don't.

lol ur a funny guy it took u all the time to put that together and u still look stupid..u said there are no gtr skylines in america and i said actually there are and stated the company that did the testing yadayadayada and said gtr's are common in san diego but i cant vouch for the r35 being imported maybe i should have made the and bigger for u when i decided to go in another direction towards ur other stupid comments...then u went on to say why would u import a r35 when its already here and i proved u wrong on that that the g35 and the r35 are not the same then u said they dont exsit and then i proved u wrong again and even gave u prices(in yen..that japanese incase u dont know) and the colors they come in, but ur still not happy...qoute post me all u want but that fact of the matter is there are skyline gtr's everywhere in america and they are getting common and the r35 is true which are both statements that u decided "hey ima be a jackass and look stupid" about and butt heads with me..
Old 10-30-2007, 02:05 AM

I don't know if I can vote fairly.

I have only actually driven (on the street) one supercharged car, a cobalt ss/sc, and one turbo'd car, base VW EOS. As you would assume, the EOS is a pig. I know my little 2.2L could take one. But I have to say, that thing does spool pretty quick.

From just one car each, I can't vote. So until I get my 2008.5 SS balt this coming summer, I will have to withhold my vote.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:17 AM

import lovers= turbo. domestics muscle= supercharger

if only gm didnt listen to all the import lovers kids and twinscrew the cobalt instead.....
plus i love that the cobalt was original and kicking ass with the sc it was like a compact muscle car, now its like every honda,mitsu,subaru,vw,etc,etc anyway if you do the same setup on the suspension and brakes and race the sc vs the tc on the track both with the same hp, the supercharged one would leave the turbo behind since we dont have that damn turbo lag!!
the cobalt ss is a domestic car and it should feel like one in my opinion thats why im keeping my ss/sc and "screw" the turbos.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kawasakizx6rr
import lovers= turbo. domestics muscle= supercharger

if only gm didnt listen to all the import lovers kids and twinscrew the cobalt instead.....
plus i love that the cobalt was original and kicking ass with the sc it was like a compact muscle car, now its like every honda,mitsu,subaru,vw,etc,etc anyway if you do the same setup on the suspension and brakes and race the sc vs the tc on the track both with the same hp, the supercharged one would leave the turbo behind since we dont have that damn turbo lag!!
the cobalt ss is a domestic car and it should feel like one in my opinion thats why im keeping my ss/sc and "screw" the turbos.
Evidentally you've never been inside of a LNF powered vehicle with it's turbo setup...there is NO lag. There was a graph posted on here, as soon as it hits 2000 RPMs, it holds 260 lbs of torque straight to redline while building horsepower still.

And for the love of god, not every turbo setup has lag. Some of you supercharged guys need to get over yourselves with that same old line.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by trent_ky
i have stage 2 and intake that is it...i had transmission failure and they voided the warranty because they said since i have performance parts i must use the car for racing...its such bull ****. If they would take care of the problems like they should i wouldnt care a bit then it would be a great car but this abuse flag and voiding warranty bullshit totally turned me against gm and i dont know if i can bring myself to buy another one!
Lmao... even if I was stock I could see myself getting bent over the counter from the dealership on something like that. After all "THEY" know it all.... They like you as long as nothing goes wrong with the car.

The TC is not enough to convince me to stay with a Balt. I like my SC for what it is now. Where I live and drive, it'll smoke about 80% of the cars I drive by on the way home. A TC wouldn't pull me by those other faster 20% (Camaro's, Vettes, BMW Turbo's etc). The TC wont give me my "Return of Investment" so **** it. As far as a trade up I like the Maro. However, My dealership can't give me solid details on the Camaro except "You'll most likely be on a waiting list".... I told them that dealing with their service dept has got me used to that so it may not be that big of a deal"
Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by trent_ky
i have stage 2 and intake that is it...i had transmission failure and they voided the warranty because they said since i have performance parts i must use the car for racing...i
  • Did the dealer install the St. 2?
  • Was it actually the after market intake that voided the warranty?
  • Did they notice other mitigating factors which indicated the car was "raced" such as: reported premature clutch wear, low mileage tires that were already shot, etc.?

Sounds like we're missing some info on what happened here ...

Originally Posted by cakeeater
... this car is still gonna walk ALL OVER the stock lsj's probably even walk stage 2's a bit.
Stock LSJ to be sure, but not a St. 2 if the reported 14.1 sec. 1/4 mile time holds true.

In that case, a St. 2 LSJ vs. LNF will be a wash (actually, the St. 2 might even take the LNF by a few ticks).

Last edited by firemanfrank; 10-30-2007 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 AM

If my dealer installs stage 2, they will not cover my warranty and I am on my own. They have a statement from GM corporate stating they dont have to honor f-all if they bolt that on. I read it, its legit.. As far as the clutch, they stated ,mine is A+ but any issues wont be covered either as the entire tranny is deemed a "Wearable part" and also it was not designed for the almighty mods of intake and catback so even further pushing me into the "Not covered" zone... Not agreeing with any of this, thats just the assheads they are.

In any regards this is a TC thread, so if you want a tc get one, if you don't, well , dont
And yes there will be SC's walking away from TC's and vise versa.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Amen brother.... I could see myself pulling off the lot in my new LNF... opening the sunroof and the bezel landing on my lap.
Can happen to any car. Really ...

"Hmm let me get this straight, it's marketed as a performance/tuner type car and yet you're telling me to not tune it, or "performance" drive it..."
Yes, a car company might market one of their vehicles as a "performance car" that THEY engineered to make it such.

Not one which OTHER people have engineered.

Same goes if someone mods a Z06, Shelby GT 500, WRX Sti, etc.

If my dealer installs stage 2, they will not cover my warranty and I am on my own.
This is incorrect. I asked my dealer and he said just the opposite.

They have a statement from GM corporate stating they dont have to honor f-all if they bolt that on. I read it, its legit..
This runs against every single thing that has been reported about St. 2 on this forum. Something doesn't add up.

As far as the clutch, they stated ,mine is A+ but any issues wont be covered either as the entire tranny is deemed a "Wearable part"
A Powertrain Warranty is exactly that. It covers the engine AND transmission.

... and also it was not designed for the almighty mods of intake and catback so even further pushing me into the "Not covered" zone...
And there you go.

"Intake", "catback" ... the dealer is seeing more than just their installed St. 2. I mean minimal hp gains or not, those mods are the reason they voided your warranty.

Think of it this way, if YOU manufactured and SOLD a certain car, and then people added mods that YOU did not test/certify - and then something broke on that car ....

Would you want to cough up the money for repairs?

NOPE. And that's why when I said that I'm eventually going to just St. 2, I actually meant "just St. 2".

Last edited by firemanfrank; 10-30-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Raven SS
lol ur a funny guy it took u all the time to put that together and u still look stupid..u said there are no gtr skylines in america and i said actually there are and stated the company that did the testing yadayadayada and said gtr's are common in san diego but i cant vouch for the r35 being imported maybe i should have made the and bigger for u when i decided to go in another direction towards ur other stupid comments...then u went on to say why would u import a r35 when its already here and i proved u wrong on that that the g35 and the r35 are not the same then u said they dont exsit and then i proved u wrong again and even gave u prices(in yen..that japanese incase u dont know) and the colors they come in, but ur still not happy...qoute post me all u want but that fact of the matter is there are skyline gtr's everywhere in america and they are getting common and the r35 is true which are both statements that u decided "hey ima be a jackass and look stupid" about and butt heads with me..
actually i said they are very uncommon AND stated the reasons why they are uncommon. And like i said the R35 DOES NOT EXIST. it is stil la concept car, there is NO PRODUCTION MODEL. I doubt you have ever even touched a gtr. There are very few in the states, and like i said before (if you could read you would see this) most of the gtr's stateside are r32's.

lets take a look at what i have said and what you have said-

Me:

-GT-R's are very uncommon in the states (fact)
-There is NO gtr-35, there are only two in existance as of now and are both for testing, and they are NOT called gtr-35's just the nissan gtr. (facts)
-The majority of gtr's in the states are r32's (fact. and why would you say i said there are none if i CLEARLY -said the majority of them are r32's)

all true.

You:

-you see multiple gtr-35's (blatant lie, they dont exist yet)
-Gtr's are common in the states (compared to what the veyron? they are very uncommon)

I doubt you even know the difference between a gt-r and a gt-s. You have lost all of your credability from my point of view especially because you are saying that i have said things i obviously have not (i.e. there are no gtr's in usa...i never said anything of the sort, i said they are uncommon and most are r32's, which would imply that there ARE some here.)
Old 10-30-2007, 11:39 AM

The New Turbo Is Nice But Im Not Goinna Thade In My Sc, But I Will Be Snagging Those Brembos, Hot Damn!!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 PM

Fireman, just telling you like it is. The Cobalt interior is cheap and it chips, squeaks, and falls apart. My original dealer swears they do not cover warranty after "Just" stage 2. PM me and I will send you the contact info if you dont believe me. Take half of what you read here regarding this debate at face value. I am not saying ALL dealerships are like this, just the one I bought the car from. They have gone to corporate to cover their asses here. I know this cause I called BS on them and they shoved this right back in my face. Their exact words "Don't believe everything you read on the net, its up to us, not the people in the forums"....

I can switch dealerships. Keep in mind the dealership shop manager saw my AEM licence plate frame and mentioned to me that the AEM was a GM certified part and will not void my warranty.. He said "Good choice, I am not worried about the AEM, we certify it and its very non intrusive (meaning the stock intake is still pretty much in tact). I then kinda joked around and related to the reality that all intakes are just tubes with filters doesnt "really" matter who makes em... He didnt laugh.

Then one day shortly after this , a shop monkey comes out of the back and burps out that I better get that AEM off.... The shop manager then renags, and turns into a mod ****. Its the inability for them to set proper expectations is what is annoying. If they set the expectation that I can put a filter and exhaust on the car and get no grief for it, then they should stick to it. If they would have told me all this up front I would not be debating this, as I would be at fault. And most likely, walked on the sale, which is why they told me I could.

Also, you can order a balt from the dealership with a Corsa Sport already on it. So how can they say its not covered? I brought this up with them and they sat their with a real dumb look on their face. Were talking about an air filter and an exhaust....Mild by any means, youre just letting the car breathe.

And my Mazda dealership is fine with the same mods on my 3... so don't say every dealership is like this. My buddy's WRX gets nothing but compliments at his dealership and he has a turbo back.. :P

Its important I state that I dont believe all dealerships to be like this, I only have experienced this with one, so far.

Last edited by SuperchargedSS; 10-30-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by firemanfrank
  • Did the dealer install the St. 2?
  • Was it actually the after market intake that voided the warranty?
  • Did they notice other mitigating factors which indicated the car was "raced" such as: reported premature clutch wear, low mileage tires that were already shot, etc.?

Sounds like we're missing some info on what happened here ...
Yes the intake is the excuse that they used would you like to see the work order? When the dealer returned the car (unrepaired) to me i noticed it leaking transmission fluid also and it was NOT doing this before i took it to the dealer which leads me to beleive that someone in the service department was horsing around in my car. This area service rep is also the one who refused to warranty the paint chipping on my wheels and my brake rotors

And to your next "theory" no my clutch has always been fine...never has slipped and very little wear to this day (35000 miles). i have been through two sets of tires and just got new ones...so 2 sets of tires in 33000 miles...not out of the ordinary for this type of tire and i always replace before they are fully worn anyways

if you want any more info you will have to look up threads that i have started or posted in i am not retyping the book
Old 10-30-2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Evidentally you've never been inside of a LNF powered vehicle with it's turbo setup...there is NO lag.

And for the love of god, not every turbo setup has lag. Some of you supercharged guys need to get over yourselves with that same old line.
i know this one doesnt have that much lag, but its a little turbo! thats why..and for the love of god! i like superchargers,like i said you are probably into the import crowd, and "evidentally" you have never been in a supercharged powered vehicle....there is NO lag.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:12 PM

You guys do realize that america is the only market that LIKES turbo lag....

japanese and european companys try to stay away from it.. but think that the "silly americans" are crazy for how much lag they deem acceptable.

Most people on here dont have enough information to judge effectively so i will not post any arguments.. its like arguing with a kid who wants candy.. no matter what you say they wont listen..

But hey if lag is what you want... they will definately sell it to you...
Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

snail for me!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Bannned

i will choose the instant power of a supercharger over the turbo. but the turbo lag and quick shot of boost when it hits is pretty cool!

Quick Reply: what do u prefer the supercharge or a turbo charge?