General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

What is the formual for a 1/4 car

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, enough said!
Old 09-03-2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by GeoChevyCobalt
I was wondering if any one has a formula with all of the factors in a 1/4 car.

If you pluged these factors into a formula you could get an estamet of what times you could get in the 1/4.
1. gearing
2. tork
3. HP
4. weight
5. temp
6. driver reacsoin time
7. air drag
8. Traction

Any other factors should be added.
If you could also give some discriptions on how each factor effect the end time would also help in understanding what and how to tweek your car to reach a given time one would like to reach.

Another good question is what fators whould be in making a road cours car.

1. you want to finish off the 1/4 at the top of a gear, usually 3rd or 4th. shifting into a gear at the very end doesnt help. i used to have to shift into 4th at the very end until i got a new ecu and bumped the redline from 6800 to 8100 in my neon. i'd shift at about 7500

2./3. torque and hp go hand in hand. however, i built my neon r/t basically tq less, with a very high powerband, i had no low end, and i used to launch at 5000+ rpm's. and obviously, more power, more speed.. .as long as you can put it down properly.

4. weight i find is very important. not only because the less you have the quicker you go, but because it also has to be in the right places. in my car everything from the front seats back, is completely gutted. my rear suspension is about 5 lbs lighter per corner also, and i have no rear bumper bar. all my weight reduction equalled up to about 225lbs. this is very very effective for dropping 60ft times.

5. temp, goes with hp and tq. engine temp and ambient temp are responsible for a pretty decent change in power. especially if you drive a car thats really sensitive to temperature (ie: rsx-s or civis si)

6. nothing to do with 1/4. .you can sit at the light for two minutes and you can still run a 13 second time. only comes into play with bracket racing.

7. makes a difference mostly on top end. you usually wont notice it. however, i did slam my car, get a lower air dam, and remove the spoiler to cut down on drag. top speed on my neon r/t was 157mph. from its stock 130mph. (removing drag alone didnt do that tho, i had plenty more power on tap than stock)

8. traction. this is obvious. you can build a 1000hp supra, but what good is it if you're on some crappy tires and dont catch traction. when my r/t was stock i did 17.4 my first run because i spun all of first and some of second. my next run was a 15.9 when i bogged it a bit.

hope this helps. i tried to relate to my r/t because i built mine specifically for 1/4 mile racing.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:27 PM

this is quite a dumb thread....