General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

what to get

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by cblt2469
I'll look into the hpt. What does term charge to tune it? I may just find someone to dyno tune it if it's gonna be similar in price. Why does it need the downpipe? Is the factory one that restrictive?
Not sure we're supposed to talk about tuner prices on here but Andrew is correct, on the high end.
Yes, the down pipe is the most restrictive part on the LNF. It has dual cats to pass emissions. Here's the stock dp next to my hi-flow Hahn:

Yeah. But for 650 for hpt. Then another 250-350. I'm at a grand for a tune. Where as if I go to a reputable dyno. And have them tune to my AFR gauge. Keep the boost lowest. 21-23. And keep it at a safe afr. Keep the timing back. Etc. Then it will only cost me maybe 500 or so and I know what it dyno at. As mentioned before. My dad is a master mech. As well as a gear head. He tunes all his vehicles. From a 12 seconds chevy 3500. To a 9 second nova. I'm sure term2 is an amazing tuner when it comes to lnf motors. Now if he had a way of it being 350 tuned out the door and I didn't have to buy hpt myself. Then yes I would. But if I'm buying hpt already I might as well tune it myself on a dyno. Or find someone local on a dyno.
Like Andrew said, tuning a DI turbo 4-banger is quite different from tuning V8's. The shop that built my motor specializes in building and tuning LS engines and I trust them implicitly with my car but I wouldn't let them anywhere near my tune! First of all you don't need the pro version of HPT; the standard is fine and is 150 bucks less IIRC. But if you don't want to invest in it, ask if you can use your dyno shop's HPT. If you schedule in advance, Term can be available for reviewing logs and sending you tweaked tunes based on them.
Finally, remember that Term offers free re-tunes for minor upgrades and also, if you purchase HPT that gives you the flexibility to run more than one tune and swap them yourself whenever you want.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in california though. Will that high flow hahnpass smog? And you are right that If I buy hpt I can have a few tunes I can load on. I'll have to look into it. It'll be a few months before I tune it as I'm leaving today for 3 months of training in the Marine corp. Thanks for the tips though. I really appreciate the help. I was pretty solid on the lsj's when I had my 07. But these turbos appear to be a completely different beast. Lol
Old 12-28-2014, 02:56 PM

No, a TC Cobalt will pass in Cali (or Colo) except with the stock DP. Keep it for your emissions. Ask me how I know ;-)

Quick...
Old 12-28-2014, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by colodude18
No, a TC Cobalt will pass in Cali (or Colo) except with the stock DP. Keep it for your emissions. Ask me how I know ;-)

Quick...

what didnt pass about it? the emissions or the visual?
Old 12-28-2014, 08:59 PM

so signed all the paper work as soon as im allowed to post pics i will post a pic of it on here. its yellow, with black rims, has nitto tires, triple gauge pod with volts, boost, oil temp, has a muffler delete exhaust, injen charge pipes, injen CAI. as of now i dont think its tuned but it might be not sure. ill be looking for HPT and seeing about a tuner. i may go with term 2 or do a trifecta tune. what do you guys recommend? i ended up getting 500 off the price of the car so i have some extra play money to get all i want done. tune, possibly a new exhaust, downpipe, BOV, and short throw shifter. then save up for a stage 2 clutch.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
I would say get hpt and if you can get term to tune you the better. Car might be tuned but still terms tune should be way better. On the highflow dp I dont think you will pass emissions on cali, arent there like super strict on emissions? . Like the K&n typhoon is illegal on cali. And instead of BOV I would go for a forged bpv but thats just me
Old 12-28-2014, 09:09 PM

why would you go with the forge pbv? what is the benifit over the bov?

thats a link to a picture of the car i think. let me know if it works

Last edited by cblt2469; 12-28-2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Well BOV to what ive read its a pain to tune for. And doesnt benifit at all if you dont upgrade your turbo. And the Forge bpv still give you the blow off sound just not as loud and your still using the recirculation that the stock turbo uses, you dont need to tune for it and its more of an upgrade since is forged and the stock one is like plastic so it could rip and fail.

It works : car looks clean

Last edited by Snail_SS; 12-28-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-28-2014, 09:18 PM

mm okay ill have to look into the pbv im out at 29 palms for a few months for training. so i have time to do my research before i pull the trigger on anything. but hpt will be a forsure thing. not sure who ill let tune it yet. term2 sounds like he is really good though so we will see. ill look up about the pbv and bov and go from there after i do my research. thanks for the heads up with that.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

No problems and yeah almost any question you have has been answered before. If not ask herenwe can help out
Old 12-28-2014, 09:36 PM

cool thanks. just doing a little research online already and seeing as the car has charge pipes already and does not have a place for a BOV it looks like id have to buy new charge pipes to install one, where as the forge "vented" diverter valve is a direct replacement. so ill probably end up with that especially since i dont have to worry about tuning issues with it now. i thought maybe it already had an aftermarket bpv valve, but it has a CAI and after watching a video on youtube of a stock bpv with intake sounds the same as my car so i think thats all it is. i want something a little louder than what it is now. so the vented version i think is my best bet.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:26 PM

what didnt pass about it? the emissions or the visual?
I failed emissions (NoX) twice on e47 and e85.

W.r.t. the BPV, remember there's also the option of the Vent To Atmosphere (VTA) Forge that replaces the stock BPV.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:29 PM

Yeah the vented one is the one I'm looking into. It's much louder than the non vented one. And it actually failed emessions. That's crazy. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like if I do it I'll keep the stock one to smog.