General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

This is what makes an exhaust sound the way it sounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 06:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb This is what makes an exhaust sound the way it sounds

I originally wrote this on ECOTECForum.com but thought I'd post it up on here as well...

I see all the time people who are just absolutely confussed as to what or why someones exhaust sounds the way it does. I thought I would explain a bit more.

If you're the typical domestic sport compact owner, you want to attempt to have a low tone and deep aggressive sounding exhaust system. This CAN be achieved without spending a ton of money but first understand what makes a car sound the way it does...

1. The diameter of the exhaust system - the diameter of the exhaust system on the performance side determines how much exhaust waste is flowing outwards at one time. When increasing, you're not only increasing the possible flow of exhaust but you're increasing the noise of the engine that you can hear through the exhaust system. Think of it this way, why do you think stock cars are so quiet? One part of it is that they are typically very small in diameter (Example: L61 exhaust system is about 1 7/8" - 2" diameter).

2. Whether or not you have a catalytic converter - A catalytic converters main job is to help clean some of the exhaust waste before it exits into the outside atmosphere. Yes, they are somewhat of a restriction as far as flow but remember, restriction of flowing air (exhaust) = restriction of sound. By removing this, this typically makes things much louder cause of the restriction being removed from the exhaust system.

3. What kind of muffler you have - The kind of muffler you have can actually make a good amount of difference as to the overall sound of the exhaust system but it's just one piece of the puzzle. If you look at canister mufflers, they are known for being "straight through" and people automatically assume that this means "less restriction, more power". Being that it's straight through, it doesn't deaden the sound of the exhaust (or deepen the tone) like an oval style muffler typically would. As far as the power differences, this is up for discussion but to be completely honest, if there is any difference, it's so small it doesn't matter much in the big picture of performance.

4. Resonators, whether you have one or not and the size of one - Resonators are a very key part of the exhaust system as far as sound quality. Stock exhaust systems sometimes can have 1 to 2 resonators on the exhaust system to give it the sound quality they are looking for but at the same time, not being a major restrictor on the exhaust system as far as flow. The rule of thumb is the larger (longer) the resonator, the deeper your exhaust will be...the smaller, vice versa. From an aftermarket point of view, many companies sell resonators in all different diameters and lengths. On the opposite side, if you choose not to have any, this will of course result in a louder and possibly "raspier" sounding exhaust system.

5. How many bends you have - The more bends that are on your exhaust system, the higher possibility of backpressure being created. Backpressure is basically restriction...restriction (once again) results in lower exhaust tone. Now, I'm not saying to you to make as many bends as possible, this is all in theory and the number of bends you have is probably the last resort or way to try and get a lower toned exhaust system. Incase my explaination of restriction didn't make much sense, when you have a flow of air (in this case exhaust) make a sudden change in direction, this slows down the velocity of air. Remember, sound travels as well.

6. Whether or not you have any exhaust leaks - An exhaust leak is basically an abnormal exit or disruption in the exhaust system. Example, if you have a hole just before your catalytic converter from it rusting over, this is an exhaust leak. This exhaust isn't going through your whole exhaust system which in result isn't going through all the devices that all help lower the tone, so this will result in a louder exhaust system. Also, an exhaust leak is a disruption as far as the velocity of the exhaust which will result in a loss of power.

7. The type of manifold or header you have - Basically works almost the same way as the diameter of the exhaust system if you're messing with aftermarket headers but in this case, you're talking about each individual runner and the size of the collector at the end. A stock exhaust manifold will of course be more restrictive and result in a lower tone.

8. The type and size of the engine - This is basically a given.

That's basically it. It's relatively simple but I thought it would be helpful for the person who is newer to cars.

To also add to what i mentioned earlier, aftermarket companies do nothing more special to their exhaust system than the local exhaust shop that buys the right parts and has everything bent and welded together. Not saying that custom is always the way to go but it is something to think about when you're paying $600+ for an exhaust system from a known company when you can go down the street with the right "know how" and the right parts combo installed to replicate the same nice deep tone.

Hope this has helped.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Thread...I just hope ppl actually see this thing so they dont ask anymore ******* questions. :
Old 12-09-2006, 06:12 AM

Eh, no question is a dumb question if you honestly don't know the answer...we were all new and there was one point where I didn't know this information.

I'm just trying to help. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:12 AM

Hmm... I smell a sticky. Great write-up.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by joedashow
Hmm... I smell a sticky. Great write-up.
Thank you.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:31 AM

I've got one question after reading that, though: What effect does F/I have on the sound of the exhaust, if any? I was looking into getting an exhaust in the springtime, and now all this info's got the wheels in my head turning, haha.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:48 PM

im pretty sure only Turbochargers affect the exhaust sound...for obvious reasons...
Old 12-09-2006, 04:51 PM

I would imagine changing the cams would have an effect.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:23 PM

I've got one question after reading that, though: What effect does F/I have on the sound of the exhaust, if any? I was looking into getting an exhaust in the springtime, and now all this info's got the wheels in my head turning, haha.
If you're supercharged, it's the same difference.

People need to understand from an performance point of view, just cause you're boosted with a supercharger doesn't mean that you're reliant to your exhaust system. Turbocharged systems are.

But as far as sound, same rules apply.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty Art
I would imagine changing the cams would have an effect.
Any change to a motor can change the sound of it.

This was just talking about the exhaust system for the most part of what makes it sound the way it sounds.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:47 PM

Yea, I know an exhaust isn't affected performance-wise by a supercharger; I was just wondering about the sound. But thanks for the info.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:24 PM

Yea, I know an exhaust isn't affected performance-wise by a supercharger; I was just wondering about the sound. But thanks for the info.
No problem.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:27 PM

nice write up man this should be sticky!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 10:32 PM

Thanks
Old 12-09-2006, 10:32 PM

Good post. Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:47 PM

No problem
Old 12-10-2006, 12:01 AM

Good write up, especially the last part about the local shop vs. some big aftermarket company. I have never understood why someone would pay big money for an exhuast system when you can get one custom made for about half the price just down the street. This of course is provided that the shop knows what they are doing.

To touch on the turbocharger question a bit more, a turbo will slow down some of the exhaust therefor giving it a deeper and quieter tone. This is why cars like the WRX and SRT-4 have deeper exhuast notes then a Honda Civic.

A supercharger being on the intake side of the engine has no direct effect on exhaust sound.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by IMADreamer
Good write up, especially the last part about the local shop vs. some big aftermarket company. I have never understood why someone would pay big money for an exhuast system when you can get one custom made for about half the price just down the street. This of course is provided that the shop knows what they are doing.

To touch on the turbocharger question a bit more, a turbo will slow down some of the exhaust therefor giving it a deeper and quieter tone. This is why cars like the WRX and SRT-4 have deeper exhuast notes then a Honda Civic.

A supercharger being on the intake side of the engine has no direct effect on exhaust sound.
Thank you for the compliments.

It's funny cause it's such a simple thing for me to write up but at the same time people boggle their minds over this subject and don't know any better. So this is why I have no problem with taking like 15-20 minutes of my time to write this up.

About the exhaust tones, you are 100% right.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Im wondering if youve ever had any experiance with usings sts turbos as mufflers? Ill be completely honest Im not really a 4 banger type of guy and im much more used to a v6 or v8 exhasut sound.... but in all reality i dont like hearing the exhaust at all id much rather hear the engine and with my ss/sc i love hearing the supercharger wine.

Now with that being said Is there anything i can to to eliminate (as much as possible) or lower the exhasut sound without changing the motor much (i thought about giving sts a try but its very expensive and ive yet to hear what a v4 would sound like)
Old 12-10-2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
Im wondering if youve ever had any experiance with usings sts turbos as mufflers? Ill be completely honest Im not really a 4 banger type of guy and im much more used to a v6 or v8 exhasut sound.... but in all reality i dont like hearing the exhaust at all id much rather hear the engine and with my ss/sc i love hearing the supercharger wine.

Now with that being said Is there anything i can to to eliminate (as much as possible) or lower the exhasut sound without changing the motor much (i thought about giving sts a try but its very expensive and ive yet to hear what a v4 would sound like)
Rear mount turbos are a totally different story and I'd imagine it would be very loud as far as the spooling and cause you're technically running open exit piping
Old 12-10-2006, 04:59 PM

Great Write up!! I enjoy every write up that you share with us. Keep them coming. I can't wait to hear whats next.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:38 PM

NJHK once again cleaning house. Nice job bud. STICKY this **** lol
Old 12-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Banned

Its awsome for someone to finally say that there really isnt a difference between custom and name brand pipes. Hell its a pipe!! But great write i up, knowledgeable people on .net kick ass
Old 12-10-2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Codyak Supercharged
Its awsome for someone to finally say that there really isnt a difference between custom and name brand pipes. Hell its a pipe!! But great write i up, knowledgeable people on .net kick ass
Pipes indeed. The only thing that some companies tend to do is get polished stainless steel so it blings when you open the box and so it blings when you see it in an magazine. lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:32 PM

nice write up