General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

What vendor sell HID relay harnesses?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just made my own with a relay and some ring clips, all of which costed me maybe $2.50 (probably $6 if you paid retail for all the stuff).

PM me I can I tell you what pins go where on the relay.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by stoon_cobalt_colby
lol thanks for ur shitty input so was buying a ls sedan
LT buddy...If youre gonna bash me please get your facts straight.

Originally Posted by denlou
I just made my own with a relay and some ring clips, all of which costed me maybe $2.50 (probably $6 if you paid retail for all the stuff).

PM me I can I tell you what pins go where on the relay.
this....you should just post it in here. that's good information to have public.

Last edited by JL-KA; 03-21-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gestapo007
my buddys custom blue:

My old yellows:
yellow on yellow looks prem man and blue looks good

Originally Posted by JL-KA
LT buddy...If youre gonna bash me please get your facts straight.

this....you should just post it in here. that's good information to have public.
wow big diffrrence bud. u made me bash u i would have never bashed you. if u want to futher bash send me a pm we can do it there i dont want to **** up this thread with ur bullshit

Last edited by stoon_cobalt_colby; 03-21-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-21-2010, 04:21 PM

I got the PM from him, ill just post it up here:

You'll need a 30Amp Bosch style relay and a wiring harness, not sure where you can buy them retail as I buy them bulk in 50 packs but try Radio Shack/The Source. I saw them one time at a hardware store for $5/each.

On the underside of the relay where the pins are, they have numbers stamped by each prong. You can start by yanking 87A out from the middle, you won't need that and will just get in your way. The rest are as follows...

87A - NOT USED
87 - To ballast power
30 - To battery
85 - To low beam headlight wire off harness
86 - Ground

Buy an inline fuse holder and a 10 Amp fuse for pin 30 between the relay and the battery, for battery power just get a ring clip for you wire and connect to the post on the underhood fuse panel.

You have the option of running on relay for both ballasts or one relay for one ballast, either way get a 10 amp fuse.

If you want to go the one relay method (which I think is what the store bought kits do), just split the wire off 87 to the each ballast.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
hey i got this problem, i just install a hid kit (well Joe aka ItalianJoe did it lol) and my high beam wont work only the low beams,
is a bi xenon hid 9007
any ideas what could be? does the ground will prevent the high beams from working?

NOTE* I found that if i connect something to the socket on the passenger side (the one that is not connected to nothing) the high low beam will work (i did the test)
So i dont know what i need or what is it wrong.

Thank you
Old 03-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
www.BuyHIDs.com has relay harness's.

and DFZ24, On the cobalts, you remove the jumper cable and reverse the diod on the harness. Least the harness's i buy. PM me and ill shoot you a pic.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by stoon_cobalt_colby
yellow on yellow looks prem man and blue looks good

wow big diffrrence bud. u made me bash u i would have never bashed you. if u want to futher bash send me a pm we can do it there i dont want to **** up this thread with ur bullshit
Get outta here with your blue headlights

Here's a section from hidplanet.com

This pertains to HID PNP kits because CRI and luminous efficiency are mutually exclusive. Meaning you can either have a high CRI or high luminous efficiency (output). You can not have both. A High CRI requires a complex mix of salts and is expensive, you can rest assured aftermarket PNP manufacturers do not use these. One way to compensate for this is to use a higher mix of mercury which will shift the color to the blue end which makes it appear brighter.

Everyone loves blue, it's nothing to be ashamed of, but in lighting you need to be aware of it's effects. The eye is nearly twice as sensitive to blue light as green or red, that means equal power blue and red makes it seem blue more powerful. This is terribly over simplifying it but it will suffice for our topic, the truth can be found here:

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/color1.html

The problem with that is that the blue rods/cones are in the outside of the retina, not the center, so it makes it difficult to focus on. Try focusing on a pure blue light in a dark room, bob your head back and forth you will see what I mean, it takes time for the light to "settle".

So blue light is bad for lighting the roads because it makes it difficult to focus, this accounts for most people's bad impression of HID kits in the rain etc... where lower visibility is already an issue. But the blue spectrum also is less efficient inside the bulb, it makes less light than a bulb with say more red... as can be seen here, sodium is red, mercury is blue, and metal halide is somewhere in between.

In summary, you can see that HID kits are a very poorly regulated market which plays on the lack of knowledge that people have about lighting, and because of this, most people on these forums will recommend OEM components because of their repeatability and standards.

Last edited by JL-KA; 03-28-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-02-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mkulrey13
www.BuyHIDs.com has relay harness's.

and DFZ24, On the cobalts, you remove the jumper cable and reverse the diod on the harness. Least the harness's i buy. PM me and ill shoot you a pic.
can you send me a picture or explain how to please
Like i said it was install by someone else and my knowledge is minimal on this
thank you
Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 PM

I got some HIDs last night actually. $40 shipped 9007 bulbs but only single beam... so I dont have highs anymore...
Old 04-04-2010, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by chitala383
i ordered mine from 3bspec and i'll never do it again. the instructions were alright but the harness was completely wrong. it was pinned totally wrong. IIRC 8 out of 11 pins were backwards. it took me a good 6+ hours to figure out what the problem was and correct it.
out of curiosity, what relay harness did you buy that had 11 pins?