General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Why???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dosent affect me nore bother me...It was a simple question
Old 09-28-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally am going to have my car for a while so I want it to be a little quicker and a little better looking. I just want to make it mine. I love the performance I have sqeezed out of her so far. I'm all done with engine mods it's time for looks. I don't want my Cobalt to be like everybody's Cobalt. It's just personalization my friend. My question to you is why would you want your car to be like the guy's down the street? Express yourself bro!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:31 AM

same here it is a hobby for me, but I do plan on keeping this car for a while.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:05 AM

I would agree with some of the people that posted before. Most people don't buy a car thinking they are going to sell it in a couple months. I think there are a couple things though that go through the heads of these people. The first being that it's a cheap, high performance car that looks to have tons of potential, and then they get beat by an SRT-4. It's a big ego shock and a lot of people, especially some of the clownshoes that I've seen buy these cars, are young, immature and rather competitive when it comes to who has the best car. They will never be happy with what they have because there's someting out there that is always better, it's just the mentality.

My dad always has a problem with me modding my cars. He always says that I pay X for the car and then I throw all this money into it and wil never see that money, why can't I jsut be happy with the way it comes from the factory? As most "big" purchases, if you're spending the money, you want whatever you're buying to fit your perception to a T. Think about a computer, people throw new video cards in them, altert he operating system etc, they spent a good amount of money and just want to have the perfect computer for them. It's the same with houses, why buy one for 300,000 dolalrs and then drop another 80,000 to finish the basement? Wasn't there enough room in the rest of the house for you? It's the same for my car.

I personally don't like flashy emblems so I took them all off. I'd like the car to be a bit quicker, so I ordered stage 2. I may end up with coilovers and maybe an exhaust because thats just how I like to drive my cars. I know I'll never see the money back but it's a hobby and the car cost me 22k, I think I should be completely happy with it instead of saying, oh I wish it had some more pep or "If only Chevy didn't put those ugly gold bowties on them".

I can rant on and on about this topic, I ordered the stage 2 and t got sent to my dad's house instead of my apartment. I had to ask him to send it down here and of course he asked what it was and I told him. Man did I get lectured, even though I paid for the car myself, I live 1200 miles away from "home" and I'm 26. People jsut don't get it. If you have the power to change something that will make you happier, why not do it?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
Can I marry you^^^^
j/k... but modding cars has been my hobby all my life... I don't plan on ever getting rid of the cobalt... it'll just get faster and faster... I'll probably end up buying a beater once the car gets out of everday driveability... but my cobalt is going no where
Hey, you own a Cobalt...you're alright in my book! Just take me somewhere tropical for my Honeymoon, that's all I ask
Old 09-28-2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nickc84
i dosent affect me nore bother me...It was a simple question

I understand, didn't mean to start anything by what I said.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:48 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
You got it!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSSChick
Hey, you own a Cobalt...you're alright in my book! Just take me somewhere tropical for my Honeymoon, that's all I ask
Do I hear wedding exhaust for you two??
Old 09-28-2006, 01:25 PM

hahahahha
j/k
Old 09-28-2006, 01:29 PM

Old 09-28-2006, 01:30 PM

I Havn't gotten to do much to mine yet, but I plan on it. For most of us, it is Hobby. My whole life has revolved around cars, since I was in diapers, my father always took me to the racetrack, which made me who I am today. I raced since the age of 10 in junior dragsters and now I race the 1/4 mile every weekend. My racecar and my Balt are like my children. I take very good care of them, and they're expensive, just like a child would be. If your child wants or needs new shoes, do you not buy them for them (if you have the money, that is.) Same with a car, car looks like it needs some new tires because the Pirelli's aint lookin too good anymore, and you buy your car some new shoes...use the stock for winter, use the new ones for good weather. Your child gets sick, you take them to the doctor, and the doctor prescribes medication, right? Your car isn't running quite the way you want it to, so you upgrade with new and better parts, sometimes aftermarket. That's the way I look at it. To each his own, but I hold a tremendous amount of respect for people that do all the work on their own cars. If you don't agree with people putting money into their cars, that's your own opinion. Unfortunately sometimes people can't afford to keep their cars, after they have upgraded them, or they decide they want something else. It's not effecting you, and it shouldn't **** you off. I plan on keeping mine for a looooong time. I worked my @$$ off to pay for this car, and was determined since I seen the concept Cobalt that I was going to have one. Here I am.

god i wish my girl thought like you
Old 09-28-2006, 01:44 PM

I agree with you 100%..... I was just made recently single due to my car hobby... (apparently loud, really fast, cool cars aren't popular with the ladies around here) .... the ex wasn't fond of me working on cars and getting dirty.... oh welll at least I got to scare the **** outta her with my monte (it doesn't have seatbelts at the moment) 0-100 in a block pullin a wheelie is fun.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:53 PM

Unfortunately sometimes people can't afford to keep their cars, after they have upgraded them, or they decide they want something else.
i think this is the main reason. I think you can find this with any car ever made. Sometimes people get in over their heads on finances or they have an unexpected cost (like their spouse was diagnosed with cancer and their medical insurance ran out). **** happens.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:08 AM

I agree with you 100%..... I was just made recently single due to my car hobby... (apparently loud, really fast, cool cars aren't popular with the ladies around here) .... the ex wasn't fond of me working on cars and getting dirty.... oh welll at least I got to scare the **** outta her with my monte (it doesn't have seatbelts at the moment) 0-100 in a block pullin a wheelie is fun.
haha...It's a turn on to see guys workin on cars, for me...get all greased up, haha I love it.

Try going 175 in the 1/4 at 7.5 seconds with a 540 BBC

Last edited by CobaltSSChick; 09-29-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:04 AM

well this quote from a very respected individual from the racing field applies here more then anything

"I wanna go fast"-Ricky Bobby and me
Old 09-29-2006, 10:17 AM

my record still stands with the monte 9.56 @144 mph.... ran outta gear at the 1000' mark... it'll be back next season and hopefully iin the 8'.... goin with a turbo 406 I"m building this winter,, new 4 link rear suspension and I"m finally gonna pua roll cage in it.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:21 AM

Don't plan on getting rid of mine, this is my 1st new car. I will keep it as long as it lasts me.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:22 AM

my record still stands with the monte 9.56 @144 mph.... ran outta gear at the 1000' mark... it'll be back next season and hopefully iin the 8'.... goin with a turbo 406 I"m building this winter,, new 4 link rear suspension and I"m finally gonna pua roll cage in it.
They cleared you to run it without a rollcage?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:30 AM

nah... told em it ran mid 12's got kicked out after one run
Old 09-29-2006, 11:44 AM

nah... told em it ran mid 12's got kicked out after one run
Whoopsie
Old 09-29-2006, 11:56 AM

People that buy this car are generally pretty stupid when it comes to money, most people are in their low 20s and usually don't have too much sense yet. Believe me I know, I'm 27 and have owned 12 vehicles .

The Cobalt I'll keep just as long as I remember that I bought it for some good mileage and a fun car to get me through my commute. The Stage II and GMMP exhaust I installed I only paid about $700 for, that will probably be enough for me.

I have a friend with a turbo Civic with 850 FWHP, he still lives with his mom and most of his money goes to his car. On the other hand I now have two kids and big house to pay for while my wif stays home with the boys. Eventually most people grow up and stop wasting money on cars and realize there are more important things.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by BradyB
I have a friend with a turbo Civic with 850 FWHP, he still lives with his mom and most of his money goes to his car. On the other hand I now have two kids and big house to pay for while my wif stays home with the boys. Eventually most people grow up and stop wasting money on cars and realize there are more important things.

Funny you say that because a few of my friends are the same way.

Modding cars really can be a true addiction.

My friend, who will remain nameless, that I mentioned in some other thread with a 900rwhp turbo mustang is turning 30, never went to college and doesn't intend to and still lives with his parents. Then I have another friend who is 29 living with his folks, has two vehicles and spends all his money modding them both.

I hate to admit it but I was at that point a summer or two ago. I racked up $4000 in credit cards modding my Mustang for a year after graduation, didn't take any college classes, sold it and got the Cobalt and started spending all my money on that too.

It took the love of my g/f and me wanting to propose and marry her that took the obsession away. I am no doubt just as passionate, and yes I am modding my truck...but I know how to prioritize (mainly getting through college) and I know when I can and can't afford to buy something for it.