General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Why did you buy a 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did you buy a 2.4

I bought mine because i cant drive stick very well or at all for that matter. I took the 2.0 for a test and stalled it a couple of times At any rate, I rationalized that the 2.4 was a bigger motor and that the auto doesnt misshift, Whats your reason?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 AM
Banned

my dad likes men
Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 AM

cause im a poor student

Originally Posted by WICKED
my dad likes men
uhhhh....

Last edited by SS_Ry; 08-13-2008 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-13-2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by WICKED
my dad likes men
I dont understand the gay joke.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:00 AM

at the time.. the SS/SC sold for around 29,000 + CDN here.

got my 2.4 for 22,000 and change with sunroof and side curtain airbags. plus insurance was a lot cheaper, i was high risk at the time due to a speeding ticket.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 AM

I feel like i copped out. Im not satisfied with my car. It would be stupid of me to trade in my car because of all the negative equity.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:11 AM
Banned

Its not a gay joke. My dad bought me this car because my brother had gotten into a lot of trouble with a cobra right when i got my license
Old 08-13-2008, 02:17 AM

i bought my 2.4 with the intention of turboing it. I wanted the ss/sc lip kit which ive added minus the wing and sunroof. I also got it because i wanted to max it out with bolt ons first and feel wut a decently powered na car with comparable tq felt like. i love my 2.4
Old 08-13-2008, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted the 4-wheel disks and upgraded suspension but didn't want the painted wheels, leather seats and goofy wing of the SC. Its exactly the car I was looking for; if they hadn't made the 2.4 SS I probably would have gotten a G6.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Banned

the first dealer i went to only had 2.2's, so i was going to get one, but i went to a second dealer just to see some other 2.2's, and then i saw the 2.4 and it was love at first sight. Premium sound, a sunroof that opens all the way, 17's, nice styling. oh yeah
Old 08-13-2008, 08:02 AM

i got mine considering it was like 7 grand cheaper than the new SS/TC and the only tc the dealer had on their lot had that goofy F1 style wing lol and i couldnt see out the rear view mirror with that thing in the way.. so i bought the sport
Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 AM

I bought my 2.4 With intentions on having a good looking daily driver. My car was eh, ill say 20,000. 3,500 in rebates at the time and pretty much another 2,000 with my GMS and i had 1,000 down. So i financed 13,500. Can't beat that for an 08! I like the ss/sc but they seem pretty "main stream" I've got into my car a lot and now my intentions have took a 180. I plan on turbocharging and some other goodies All in all, I think the car is a great car for what it is. I'm glad i bought it
Old 08-13-2008, 08:34 AM

yeah there were alot of incentives when i bought my sport as well... alot more than they would do on the ss/tc i ended up paying about $16,000 after it was all said and done so even if i turbo it ($4000) then im still under the cost of a ss/tc
Old 08-13-2008, 09:01 AM

price, mainly i was looking at the GTI, Si, Cooper S, and Sport, with all the factors in play, price, insurance, gas, space, etc. etc. the Cobalt won out.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 AM

cuz of stupid ass insurance cost. if that didnt exist id have the SS/SC ive always wanted with probably around 300whp, but no im struggling for 200
Old 08-13-2008, 03:07 PM

When I got mine I was just looking to get a car with good fuel economy, I was driving a SIlverado 4x4 and gas was killing me. It had major issues too and was going to need a lot of work. I refinanced my house to get enough money to buy myself out of the truck. My dad has a 2.2 cobalt and I liked it so I went to the dealer to see if I could get a deal on one like he had, he was paying like $220. I got there and looked at some cobalts, some malibus, then I got thinking maybe I should just get a nice SS 2.4 which I would be a lot happier with. I got it for $299 a month leased, an 06. I was thinking about getting the SS/SC but it was like $360 a month and to me that was getting into a whole different area than what I was there for in the first place, a cheap fuel effiecient car that could save me money.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

I went into the dealer with my parents to show them and test drive the Malibu, cause that's what I had wanted. Then after the test drive I was eye balling the cobalt. So I asked for another test drive and since the cobalt I was eyeballing was the one inside the show room, they gave me an auto LS to test. I didn't like it. Then I was saying how I really like the one inside cause it's manual and has white face gauges and that I really wanted to test drive it. So the guy gave in and took it out of the show room for me. I stumbled out of the dealer cause it was only my 3rd time driving stick. And it was nothing like the previous manual car I drove. It was hard. But I liked it. So we get back, and talk to the salesman for a few min and next thing I know I'm buying the cobalt, when I wasn't even intending to buy a car that day Not a bad thing though cause I was dying for a new car and my parents kept telling me wait for the summer to buy one cause it's still winter and that I shouldn't buy a new car in the winter. Thing I regret though is I didn't really do too much research on the cobalt and I'm really pissed I wish I did. Cause if I did I would of gotten a cobalt sport coupe in arrival blue. Or waited for the tc. And also the reason I got sedan is cause first off that's the only sport he had. The only other sport in the tri state area was in atlantic city, and I liked the sport. Another reason I got sedan is cause like I said I didn't do much research, and figured all coupes were the same and really tight and **** like the eclipse. Cause my sis has a 03 eclipse. So I figured it was just like the eclipse and I didn't like that. Till one day (after the fact I got the cobalt already) I seen the inside of a g5 and it was no where near like the eclipse and actually had a lot of room. And another thing is the only reason I liked the cobalt period was because of the circle tail lights, and mine don't have that. And I didn't know that there were different color blues. If I knew that I without a doubt would have gotten arrival blue instead. I hate the fact my paint turns purplish. But I wanted blue and just assumed that was the only blue. And also the salesman did a search and the only other cobalt sport in the tri state area was in atlantic city. I wasn't gonna drive all the way there just for a car. And the sport is a 2.4 so that's why I have a 2.4, and that's how I got my cobalt. I didn't do much research on it cause originally I wanted the Malibu and I researched that not the cobalt. -_- On the plus side I got it fully loaded and prez day sale for 19k.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I started out and looked at Cobalts over the weekend so the dealers couldn't bug me I decided on a black used 2007 Cobalt SS 2.4L manual that was on a lot right near my house that was selling for 15k w/ only 10k miles on it and had every option including leather seats and heated seats. So we go in on Monday and they must have got a load of new Cobalts Sunday night because there was a brand new fully loaded red Sport sitting in the lot now. Well first thing I did was get the trade-in value on my truck which came out to 17k. Well I was excited because that meant an equal trade-in for the Cobalt and he said he'd give us another 1k in cash since the truck was worth more. My dad didn't like the idea of my getting a manual in the first place so he asked if I could test drive the Sport and I reluctantly agreed. Well I test drove it and needless to say it pulled harder then the used 07. The only problem was head room and it would cost 17k which meant no cash back. Unfortunately I let my dad talk me into getting a 08 Sport auto so we started searching and he found a black one but couldn't get it because a guy there was looking at it and couldn't decide between a Cobalt Sport or a Civic Si. Well, after 3 days of waiting on this guy I got sick of waiting so we did another search and found nothing, searched new 07 S/C Cobalts and managed to find a few that fit my liking. Well, I was about to get a S/C when out of nowhere a dealer just got in a 08 Sport Imperial Blue w/ everything I wanted so I ended up w/ that and I have no regrets.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:53 PM

got mine to boost the hell out of it with the VVT and bigger motor and auto trans to hold the power nicely with no miss shifts.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy Cobalt 08
Cause if I did I would of gotten a cobalt sport coupe in arrival blue.
There are very few of these cause they got rid of arrival blue part way into the '06 MY, and there's not many 2.4's to begin with.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:38 AM

Why I got a 2.4

As others mentioned previously, the rebates/incentives that were available made the car more affordable. However, I was specifically looking for a few items in my new purchase. Had to have power everything, auto trans w/ remote start, and OnStar with handsfree calling. Getting those in the base 2.2 raised the price to within 2K of the 2.4 at the dealership I was looking at. I was skeptical that I would fit in the car, as my co-worker's 2004 Camaro makes me have to sit lower in the seat to fit, and my knees are crammed against the passenger dash. With the seat adjusted to my liking, I don't have my head rubbing against the headliner. I was very suprised at that.

I didn't need a race car. Our family builds and races cars as a hobby and I already built my fun street machine, so there is no thrill in driving fast in a street car anymore. The 2.4 model engine had enough pep to get in and out of traffic fine, but wouldn't have to see the extra cylinder pressure that the SS/TC makes (longetivity is a concern of mine). Also, the SS/TC did not come in an automatic transmission version, and I commute to work daily, so I wanted the comfort of not having to shift constantly. Besides, the larger and more powerful engine was rated at only 1 MPG less than the 2.2 (for the auto trans) so that was a non-issue. I wanted to test drive a SS/TC, but nobody could find one in May.

...so, I bought it. I looked at the new Malibu (which was nice) but not having a family to worry about reduced my desire to have the 4-door. I also looked at a TrailBlazer, but the fuel economy was a deal-breaker. I test drove an Accord and a Sentra, but my legs did not fit well during the test drives, though the back seats had more room.

MLRTYME
'08 Sport Coupe
www.wannaberacing.com
Old 08-15-2008, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by wordsthatiwrote
I feel like i copped out. Im not satisfied with my car. It would be stupid of me to trade in my car because of all the negative equity.
dude dont feel like that. one of my guys in the team has an lt originally 2.2 but swapped the 2.4 in it. that car has some ***** and he beats RSX, Si, and tibeurib GT with just the motor and short shifter. Plus he
s had it like 65K and no warranty problems. Strait up if u want an SC paxton urs.lol
Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 AM

I didn't, I bought a 2.2.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by TheDaves413
I didn't, I bought a 2.2.
thanks for contributing.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I orgianlly bought the 2.4 over the LSJ because I couldn't afford it.

After seeing the people blow their cars up putting smaller pullies on without cooling mods it made me happy I didn't get one.

Talk about a perky car though...I had a tune, header back, and an intake with mounts, and a STS...car was ******* quick.

Although I have the 'latest and greatest' now...I miss my LE5...something about that instant throttle response and 7k shift point.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a 2.4