General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Why do people hate on SS/SC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CBodnar
Simple: The srt-4 will always be better, faster, better mod for mod. the cobalt is like it's retarded brother. quick but not as fast and still not a very reliable car. if they made the srt-4 in 2007 brand new i would of bought one but i ended up getting a brand new cobalt ss/sc fully loaded. also the cobalt is sorta weak for already being supercharged but in a way you can say the rsx type-s is the same amount of money brand new and once u put a supercharger on it it may be faster but it will then cost another 5k to get all that installed and running right.

also most cobalt ss/sc owners don't know how to drive there car or at least the kid's around my area. upgrade there car and sit there wheel hopping it and spinning tires thinking there going fast and i sit there half throttling my car passing them with ease. go to the track and you will see stock cobalt ss/sc running 15+. at least that's what i saw or even one's with an intake. at that point i laugh and say driver error as other people around me are saying wow cobalt's are slow.

i ran 14.5 stock not saying i am pro or anything but that's a decent time for my first time being at the track i think and only did 2 runs. i am not gm stage2 tune, 2.8, drop in filter. cost me $470 so far + $225 install at the dealer and hope to get 13.7-13.9 when i go to the track. that's what i am aiming for at least.
Your right, but it is still a neon (the girliest girl car )
Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 AM

I get it all the time, most of all from the guys at work who pretty much all drive minivans! I tall em about "I just bought this for my car or bought that" and they just laugh....

UNTILL I SHOWED THEM MY MOTOR WAS IN THE ARIEL ATOM...... that shut em up quick....!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:46 AM

there just jealous cause we blow there doors off and our cars are sweet as ****
Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Honda should be made fun of they look like a shoe and sound like a kazoo
Old 03-04-2008, 03:32 PM

i'll tell you exactly why so listen up. The ONLY cars that get respect on the internet are either ridiculously built ______ or cars that can make insane numbers on stock blocks with fairly minor mods compared to most cars- tt supras, skylines, terminators, ls_ cars, srt vehicles, etc. I see people bagging on pretty much anything else on a regular basis. Why? because they see other people with said cars doing it and they "look up to them" so they do it. The ss/sc is a pretty good performer and can mod decently, but that's all. It's not one of the insanely strong stock cars like an srt-4 is (500+ whp on a stock long block 4 cylinder is awesome) so it doesn't get much respect. Doesn't mean it's a bad car at all just means shutting e-thugs up is tougher.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by afireinside7710
i hate the 'if the honduh had a supercharger, it would woop the cobalts ass' argument too. My response is always 'the balt has a SC, you have OMG LOL VTACH!!!!vrooooooom' its just different technologies
he cant be serious? vtec and a supercharger being different technologies...vtec isnt even force induction numb nutts...
Old 03-04-2008, 06:10 PM

Wait a second The Neon is not the girliest car ever The new beatle convertable and the PT cruiser convertable are way girlier!!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Raven SS
he cant be serious? vtec and a supercharger being different technologies...vtec isnt even force induction numb nutts...
I'm pretty sure he knows that.

The point is, the Si achieves power through a high revving motor and valve technology. The SS/SC does it through a bit more displacement and obviously forced induction. The two manufacturers took vastly different roads, therefore the "if Bob stuck an SC on his Si it would be SICKNESS" argument is futile.

I'm sure GM could have built the LE5 or L61 more strongly to allow for higher revs and tuned it accordingly, but torque would decrease and we'd bitch about it just like we bitch about Hondas. The dumbest argument of all time is... "take the SC off the LSJ and it would be the slowest 2.0L motor ever built." Well no ****... it was built for booSSt.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Evil C
Wait a second The Neon is not the girliest car ever The new beatle convertable and the PT cruiser convertable are way girlier!!
the neon and the pt cruiser are practically the same car from the frame up. one just has a larger ass.

cbodnar, you mean to tell me that the neon has better reliability than the cobalt? i agree with you on most of the stuff in your post, but come on.....reliability? 1) that is the riciest statement i've seen in this thread, and 2) lets go see what consumer reports has to say. i spent 6 years working in the rental car industry. there is absolutely no way you are going to convince me otherwise. in fact, based on my racing experience last year the number of times one srt4 broke at the track was 3. the number of times the cobalt broke at the track 1. and the cobalt wasn't even a ss. it was an lt. there were 2 cobalts and 2 srt4s in this comparo. i think that's a pretty fair comparison. also keep in mind that dodge is known for producing cars that do well in a straight line, hence why the srt4 is faster in the 1/4. the cobalt was made for road coarses. 2 cars with 2 different capabilities. of coarse each is going to school the other in the area in which it was meant to excel. the biggest reason you see cobalts at the drag strip is that there is more accessibility to a drag strip than there is a road coarse, plus i find drag racing to be cheaper.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Slobodan Milošević

Received 215 Likes on 175 Posts
girliest girl car = 2000-2004-5ish eclipse spyder hands down. guaranteed hottie or gay man driving.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:28 PM

Heres a small story:

I'm 19, in college. My GF is 18, in high school. So I take my GF to and from school everyday then I go to school (they're not too far apart, so why not?). And every single day I get looks from the people that attend the school (I just graduated from this school also. No one ever expected me to get a nice car.. Go figure.). Some douche bag that I came across the other night while cruising in a near by cruising 'hot spot' goes to her school also. This kid was driving his daddy's F250. He was obviously just being a dick. One time while cruising, I am sitting at a stop light about to turn around and this asshat completely cuts me off, comes about 2 inches from my front bumper. I hop over into the other lane to go around him because by this time I was pissed off and wanted to confront him. I pull up beside him and completely tell him off (keep in mind I'm not the biggest, muscular guy around either. 6' 130lbs..). His response "it had to happen!" .. wtf?? Do you hate my car THAT much? Get a life. When people **** with my car it's a whole new story. I can't stand it. So that ended that night pretty much. That happened about 3 weeks ago. Today, when I was picking her up from school this ******* was walking through the parking lot. I didn't expect anyone to be out because she had to stay after to make up a test she had missed the day before. Parking lot was basically empty. I follow the traffic pattern around as usual because it's a pretty tight fit with curbs on both sides of you. As I am coming around this little 'track' to get to the front of the school, this ******* is standing in the dead center of the freaking road. Wont move. I get behind him, about 2 feet from him and just tap the gas. I don't much like beeping at people, because maybe he wasn't doing it on purpose and I didn't wanna seem like a dick. So after tapping my gas twice he looks back and throws his hands up like "what do you expect me to do?". So I whip my car into a parking spot and roll down the window and say something like "Get out of the damn road you lifeless *******" and a few other choice words. He kept walking. So my GF gets in my car and tells me he confronted her about 10 minutes before I got there. She says he asked her if I "wrecked my car because that'd be the best thing I could do with that piece of **** Cobalt". I just laughed and said "whatever, at least I have something to drive and I'm not sporting daddy's truck acting like billy badass or anything". Well, thanks for reading.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:42 PM

lol i get the American rice speech every time someone figures out i drive the black car with OMG CF SPOILER. whatever, i realize that a lot of people just hate on it cuz they cant have it. Most of the rice comments come from people who still thing that your displacement is directly proportional to your dick size tho... then i go tell them to look up a lotus exige.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:44 PM

dude, its the internet.

I get compliments all the time, people approach me anywhere that I am to ask me about the car. Seriously, what successful human being with weight on his opinion leaves a comment on youtube...
Old 03-04-2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by campo165
dude, its the internet.

I get compliments all the time, people approach me anywhere that I am to ask me about the car. Seriously, what successful human being with weight on his opinion leaves a comment on youtube...
qft, bet half of them cant even drive...

DOOD in need for speed 8 RICE WARS teh cobalt is liek the slowest car!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:07 AM

Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
i dont get any hatin on my car, there are very few ss/sc cars in my area, ive only seen 3 or 4 others, and they are mostly stock. about the most ive gotten is a couple guys asking why i put supercharged badges on my cobalt, then i stomp it off the light and they find out why. as far as fast newer imports (2003+) really there isnt much, a few 350z, couple rsx's, not a whole lot. most guys mod the older stuff, but for the most part, not a whole lot of real fast fwd stuff. typical here is a low 14 high 13 second honda, mildly modded srt4. dont get any heat from the srt4 guys, they know the cobalt is something thats in the same league as what they have.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:51 AM

People disrespect us because it seems to me that alot of videos of cobalts online have people driving like complete fucksticks. Also, people see the cobalt as a "kids" car, and everyone knows that "kids" are a bunch of little punks........... Another thing I should mention is this is the biggest cobalt forum on the internet and I see people bashing hondas and other cars left and right. Dont execpt people to respect you if your not going to respect them.

I wish people would respect the cobalt but it makes it even more fun to shut someone at the track up when they call out our "Slow ass economy kids car"
Old 03-05-2008, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Acey
I'm pretty sure he knows that.

The point is, the Si achieves power through a high revving motor and valve technology. The SS/SC does it through a bit more displacement and obviously forced induction. The two manufacturers took vastly different roads, therefore the "if Bob stuck an SC on his Si it would be SICKNESS" argument is futile.

I'm sure GM could have built the LE5 or L61 more strongly to allow for higher revs and tuned it accordingly, but torque would decrease and we'd bitch about it just like we bitch about Hondas. The dumbest argument of all time is... "take the SC off the LSJ and it would be the slowest 2.0L motor ever built." Well no ****... it was built for booSSt.
u cant say its not legit to say if they si had a sc it would be faster than the cobalt....look at the war story threads on people suprised as hell because a boosted civic kicked the **** out of them...and when they say take the sc off they are refering to it being on a level playing field...1.6 sohc civics can beat 2.2 cobalts all day...thats the funny thing...people hate cobalts because of the attitude cobalt owners have like they are gods gift to tuner cars...but yet if challenged by something that is also boosted they **** bricks....
Old 03-05-2008, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by domin8_gt
the neon and the pt cruiser are practically the same car from the frame up. one just has a larger ass.

cbodnar, you mean to tell me that the neon has better reliability than the cobalt? i agree with you on most of the stuff in your post, but come on.....reliability? 1) that is the riciest statement i've seen in this thread, and 2) lets go see what consumer reports has to say. i spent 6 years working in the rental car industry. there is absolutely no way you are going to convince me otherwise. in fact, based on my racing experience last year the number of times one srt4 broke at the track was 3. the number of times the cobalt broke at the track 1. and the cobalt wasn't even a ss. it was an lt. there were 2 cobalts and 2 srt4s in this comparo. i think that's a pretty fair comparison. also keep in mind that dodge is known for producing cars that do well in a straight line, hence why the srt4 is faster in the 1/4. the cobalt was made for road coarses. 2 cars with 2 different capabilities. of coarse each is going to school the other in the area in which it was meant to excel. the biggest reason you see cobalts at the drag strip is that there is more accessibility to a drag strip than there is a road coarse, plus i find drag racing to be cheaper.
i didnt think the balt was built at all for the road courses......i heard that they cant take auto-x for ****..lol they just break w/o steering knuckles. soo i dont think the balt was intended a road course performer, plus u seen the ride height of a basemodel...not exactly the right height for handles.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:59 AM

whats worse is when the 2.0 guys bash the 2.2 guys. lol. n i can write a novel why i made my decision for a 2.2.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
I've had like 2 people say something negative about my Cobalt. One guy told me it was a waste of money his Integra is better. I watched that Integra go 18.22 in the quarter yupp I wasted my money. The other was a backwoods hillbilly who told me my car is a girls car. I guess his completely rusted out Mazda B series is a "guys car".

I have people tell me all the time they love my car, or tell me its badass. I even get a lot of them telling me to get on it some when I leave so they can see it go. I've noticed most of the "haters" usually drive heaps of **** themselves.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 AM

Any time you add Convertable to a car it is a womans car by a multiplier of no less than 10. (unless the car is pre 1980 inwhich case if the top hasn't corroded off you deserve to drive it manlieness intact)
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Greased
DOOD in need for speed 8 RICE WARS teh cobalt is liek the slowest car!!!
I lol'd

My friends stopped talking smack when I got staged, best 550 bucks I ever spent. It's been tiding me over until I save enough to really start to mod the thing, and even SRT drivers around here don't hate on it. Might be bacause I wing swapped and de-badged, people don't seem to blast these cars as much without the hi-rise in the back.

EDIT: I don't mind it when someone talks ****, it just means they don't know the car all that well. It's usually slower cars doing the talking too, if someone has a modded turbo whatever and is faster than I am I just say "congrats on dumping 5 grand into your car", and be done with it.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:13 PM

just saw this on youtube.. funny how someone compares the cobalt to a metro..

"alienmode (3 months ago) Show Hide -3
Marked as spam Reply no its not cool. the reason the cobalt exists is because general motors saw the market for a tarted up geo metro; the opportunity to take the money of young male suckers with discretionary income like yourself. its basically an american scion. its hard to believe but its actually worse looking than and has less soul than the scions do. complete ******* automotive garbage "
Old 03-14-2008, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by sugardaddy2885
just saw this on youtube.. funny how someone compares the cobalt to a metro..

"alienmode (3 months ago) Show Hide -3
Marked as spam Reply no its not cool. the reason the cobalt exists is because general motors saw the market for a tarted up geo metro; the opportunity to take the money of young male suckers with discretionary income like yourself. its basically an american scion. its hard to believe but its actually worse looking than and has less soul than the scions do. complete ******* automotive garbage "
This kid is an idiot!!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt_driver
whats worse is when the 2.0 guys bash the 2.2 guys. lol. n i can write a novel why i made my decision for a 2.2.
You can say that again.

Quick Reply: Why do people hate on SS/SC?