General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Winter driving...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter driving...

I have about a 40 mile one way daily commute in western NY. I really want to purcahse a ss/sc but am thinking about a colorado. How are these things in the winter? Will a good set of snow tires help me out or should i just go 4wd
Old 08-12-2005, 09:29 PM

I don't know myself and I don't think you would find to many SS/SC owners that had their ride before winter ended last year. I know I'm hoping that my SS/SC will do ok with a good set of winter tires set on some steelies. I'll let you know in about 4months.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:48 PM

im in spencerport (rochester)

i bought an LS, but in my opinion, anything can be driven in winter

my buddy drove his z28 in the winter, and its a 12 second car
Old 08-13-2005, 05:36 PM

Yeah i feel ya. I have driven many fwd cars in the winter. I actually spend two years driving a rear wheel drive s-10 in our heavy winters. I prefer a truck mainly becuase i think it handles better. Yes traction is an issue when going from a stop but to me it handles better. When your drive wheels are also your turning wheels, it makes it harder to turn in the snow unlike with rear wheel drive. My main concern isnt that i wont be able to do it, but that if it just isnt a good winter car at all, then i don t wannna have to deal with getting up super early for my commute... Im still considering a New colorado, but who knows. I have plenty of time, i get the employee discount year round

A little of topic, but how much do you think i would have to spend to get a nice reliable mid 13 second Cobalt...that could make my descion for me...
Old 08-13-2005, 05:38 PM

Sorry for two posts. Tiny i didnt see you were from spencerport. IM actually driving from Arkport NY to rochester. Whats winter like up there. I mean iv been there plenty of times but do you guys get the heavy snow like we do?

Prolly dont know where arkport is. Its a village. its near Hornell, Dansville bath if any of those ring a bell.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:41 PM

I'm way the hell up in the Adirondacks of New York. Last winter, i drove a 98 Cavalier on bald 215/60/14 whitelettered BF Goodrich T/A's without a problem. A friend of mine had a 03 Z24 5speed on 18's which he drove in the snow (his winterbeater ate a guardrail!) all winter with minimal problems. The only thing I can say is find a good 'rally' tire... Hakkapelittas come in 18"s...

I hope the piece of **** tires on my Cobalt are at least up to winter... they sure as hell haven't impressed me so far.

Scott
Old 08-13-2005, 06:52 PM

For the most part, my old 2002 z24 held up pretty well in the winter (minus a few times where I had to get the shovel out to dig her out), but the biggest problem was the skirt (I'm thankful this car isn't as low as my old z24 or the SS/SC) got destroyed last winter. It just couldn't handle the piles of snow on the side streets (always the last to get plowed in a storm) and it just cracked in half..
Old 08-13-2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by madcabbie
Sorry for two posts. Tiny i didnt see you were from spencerport. IM actually driving from Arkport NY to rochester. Whats winter like up there. I mean iv been there plenty of times but do you guys get the heavy snow like we do?

Prolly dont know where arkport is. Its a village. its near Hornell, Dansville bath if any of those ring a bell.

yea, i know where that is
one of my buddy's Ryan (Black Turbo Eclipse) lives down there

rochester winters arent bad really
just really 2 big storms last year

its all about how you drive, im a good driver, so im fine
Old 08-16-2005, 02:14 AM

oh **** no way..ryan is a really good friend of mine. Im talking to him right now. He sold that thing though..hes looking at a silverado SS
Old 08-16-2005, 02:34 AM

I honestly can't wait until it ices over. I know where a parking lot is that is 2 square miles with nothing in the middle of it, just flat parking space that is used as a solo track. Since the car is front wheel drive there's going to be nothing to throwing my SS into a 720 spin.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:45 AM

If I get a Cobalt this winter, we won't have any snow or ice. I can look forward to dry, cool, crisp clear sunny days during the winter here. South Texas has it's moments (Corpus Christi and Brownsville got snow last winter) but we usually never get any. A ram air intake kit would only enhance the already cool dry non humid air we get in winter time. I can't wait!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by scatman_101
If I get a Cobalt this winter, we won't have any snow or ice. I can look forward to dry, cool, crisp clear sunny days during the winter here. South Texas has it's moments (Corpus Christi and Brownsville got snow last winter) but we usually never get any. A ram air intake kit would only enhance the already cool dry non humid air we get in winter time. I can't wait!
I'll make sure to remember this post while I'm driving through 2 feet of snow on the road this winter...rub it in a little more . Actually, I hope it snows like a ***** just to **** you off .

As for the car, I can't see it being much different from any other FWD vehicle, it's just got a little more power than your average under the hood. A good pair of snow tires would probably help you out, and I can't imagine you'd want to leave the stock tires and rims on in the winter and take a chance the salt destroys them anyways.

Permafried-