General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

The worst small car!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation The worst small car!!

Oh man oh man, Consumers Reprot has called the Chevy Cobalt, the least reliable car in its class again!!! WTF.. Understand what CR does, they buy there cars dirctly and test them, no bullsh-t.. Soo GM and all you manufactures better wake up!! The Japanse invasion is in full swing and there winning.. Cudous to them, having owned some good Jap crap before myself.. But I cant afford an STi or I would ..
Old 03-22-2006, 03:23 AM

well the sucky part about that is consumer reports is an extremely reliable source...lets face it, the 05' cobalt was a LEMON. as for your statement 'again' i guess the 06' model is just as lemony?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:26 AM

my car is only lemony I wish it was a full blown lemon Hopefully someday soon it will stop delaying and reach its full potential as a full blown lemon. Sry cobalt, time to go.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dragon007
Oh man oh man, Consumers Reprot has called the Chevy Cobalt, the least reliable car in its class again!!! WTF.. Understand what CR does, they buy there cars dirctly and test them, no bullsh-t.. Soo GM and all you manufactures better wake up!! The Japanse invasion is in full swing and there winning.. Cudous to them, having owned some good Jap crap before myself.. But I cant afford an STi or I would ..
They held the markers up to there noise again too closely. If it's the least reliable car then why am I driving two of them? , I can't drive a Focus, they catch on fire too easily, can't drive a fusion(they suck in frontal crashes), can't drive a Civic(Style is not me and the cost of $$ to own one with actual options suck). Did you notice today that Honda already has 5 recalls on there car within the first year of the *new* Civic?

One thing that really really gets to me is Honda is still sporting a 30 year old car and never gave it a new re-badge... other makers like chevy re-badged the Cavailer, Neon Rebadged, The Contour Rebadged (I believe to Focus). It's hard to love a car that was built so small to be on the Toyko streets, made with every cheap plastic part possible from the ground up and still cost more then my domestic does and can't match power and performance. Maybe that's why I will never buy an Import.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

04 redlines (almost all lemons) except mine
Old 03-22-2006, 06:08 AM

i find consumer reports as import biased as everyone else.
I love my Cobalt... I haven't had any problems with it yet. **** Consumer Reports!
Come to think of it, I know about 10 people with Cobalts of varying trim and the only problem I have heard is the tires suck.

Scott
Old 03-22-2006, 08:20 AM

I have an 05 SS/SC and have had minor problems. Other than that, I reccommend it. I hate CR here why, I used to work at an electronics store full time( now part time) for over 4 1/2 years. CR used to always and still does give the best ratings to average tv's and home theater equiptment. Keep in mind they are all about BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK. Not necessarily the best car overall, price not a concern. For example right now they rate the Panasonic plasma as the best buy for a 42 inch plasma. Ya know why? not cause it has the best picture but b/c it is cheapest in it's class and has a descent picture is there better? yup but you still have to spend at least twice the price for the best. The civic Si runs what 19K and change right? It is reliable right? it's a Honda right? It is the best bang for the buck in our class then. I still see our cars priced at my dealer for 22k and 23k. Not the best bang for the dollar but still a good car? Oh , my old manger told me that CR also rated in 2004 Old Milwalkee as the best beer. What does that tell you?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:29 AM
360 L337 User

Originally Posted by fifasf
I have an 05 SS/SC and have had minor problems. Other than that, I reccommend it. I hate CR here why, I used to work at an electronics store full time( now part time) for over 4 1/2 years. CR used to always and still does give the best ratings to average tv's and home theater equiptment. Keep in mind they are all about BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK. Not necessarily the best car overall, price not a concern. For example right now they rate the Panasonic plasma as the best buy for a 42 inch plasma. Ya know why? not cause it has the best picture but b/c it is cheapest in it's class and has a descent picture is there better? yup but you still have to spend at least twice the price for the best. The civic Si runs what 19K and change right? It is reliable right? it's a Honda right? It is the best bang for the buck in our class then. I still see our cars priced at my dealer for 22k and 23k. Not the best bang for the dollar but still a good car? Oh , my old manger told me that CR also rated in 2004 Old Milwalkee as the best beer. What does that tell you?

they must be full of ****..
Old 03-22-2006, 02:01 PM

Most cars under that magic $22000 price have their deficiencies. I dont' expect a the comfort & ease of a toyota in this vehicle. But the perfomrance & looks far exceed any toyota they make. & it's mostly american.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:08 PM

CR is crap, i know a lot of people who own cobalts, and not a single one of us has had a SINGLE problem
Me-------------------05 Cobalt SS Coupe
Girlfriend-----------06 Cobalt SS Sedan
Girlfriends Cousin--05 Cobalt LT Sedan
Girlfirends Aunt-----06 Cobalt LT sedan (i think)

NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER
take that CR
needless to say i have one of the first SS's to roll off of the lot (Build=February 05)
Old 03-22-2006, 02:18 PM

No problems here.

They also named the top ten auto companies as all being japanese. Not one american. Not one Euro. Come on, what about BMW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, Cadillac? Some fantastic cars come out of those companies. Cadillac finished second in the annual reliability ratings only barely behind lexus, has good products, and can't even beat hyundai or whatever crap was put ahead of them. CR might as well be published in Japan the way they are going.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:29 PM

I don't think anybody has had reliability issues!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:43 PM

Least reliable but the SS/SC has one of Ward's 10 Best Engines. Doesn't make much sence to me.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:54 PM

It must be rather difficult to get reliability information for a car that has been out less than 2 years. I do not trust CR too much anyway. If you look in that issue, it has the cobalt relaibility combined with the cavalier stats from the few previous years. I did not quite get that since they are COMPLETELY different cars.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by fifasf
A new Si Fully load with the 18 in hfp wheels and ground effects runs around $25k ish and it's a lot slower with no leather. Mind you a fully loaded SS/SC is around there but the balt is much faster and in my opinion a great looking vehicle. I had the option of buying the SI or my balt. I looked at them both and drove them both. The SI is nice looking and feeling car but my balt will actually put you in your seat! Needles to say I choose the balt.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:10 PM

CR is Japanese biased... Before i bought my Cobalt i research several different cars from the Scion TC to the Mazda RX8, to the saturn Ion. CR LOVED the RX-8 ... 89 rating out of 100. The car honestly was nice but they have an issue from DAY ONE with burning oil...

I have a friend who had one and likes it a lot but he says it does burn oil and he has only had it for a year and already had to replace his starter.

GM does need to step up.. They lose BIG points for their short warranties(3 years is the lease out of any automotive companies) But compare repair cost to these other companies and i love GM.

With the Cobalt... its just the first 2 years of existance. The first 3 years of a cars production they companies are still workin bugs out so u may see minor problems here and there... But from what ive seen from the cobalts and GM and Chevy in general is a very good product. I LOVE MY BALT!!!!!!!!! i waited a year and a half for it cuz i had cobalt info since late 2003 lol.

Dont pay attention to CR... Ive found EDMUNDS to be a MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCHHHHHHHHHHHH BETTER Source... they tell exactly what they like and dont like. Other than that check out forms.. Owners of vehicles will tell u straight
Old 03-22-2006, 03:11 PM

I wonder how they gauge reliability? I have had one issue with my 06 ss in 4700 miles and that was the idle issue that appears in the 2k mile range and disappears in the 3k mile range. The car has started and got me everywhere I wanted to go and trust that it will for many years.
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mmmm...lemony

I disagree though.
Banned

CR is the most import biased magazine in publication. No matter how good any American car may be, they always find some way to bash it and make the import competition looks better.

Take a look at their top picks in the Annual Auto Issue. They are all imports. Even with the new GMT-900 SUVs on the market (argueably the best in their class), CR still picks the Lexus RX300h as their best SUV - despite the fact that its unattractive, undersized, and overpriced.

Not only that, but there are other multiple instances of bias in the Auto Issue. Somehow the Toyota Matrix recieved an "excellent" for reliability, while the Pontiac Vibe only recieved an "above average". I guess those idiots didn't realize that they are the exact same vehicle with different body styles

Last edited by DC52NV; 03-23-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by wesmanw02
CR is the most import biased magazine in publication. No matter how good any American car may be, they always find some way to bash it and make the import competition looks better.

Take a look at their top picks in the Annual Auto Issue. They are all imports. Even with the new GMT-900 SUVs on the market (argueably the best in their class), CR still picks the Lexus RX300h as their best SUV - despite the fact that its unattractive, undersized, and overpriced.

Not only that, but there are other multiple instances of bias in the Auto Issue. Somehow the Toyota Matrix recieved an "excellent" for reliability, while the Pontiac Vibe only recieved an "above average". I guess those idiots didn't realize that they are the exact same vehicle with different body styles
cough-cough Payed Off cough-cough

Last edited by DC52NV; 03-23-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:22 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
I love my Cobalt and I drive it like a high performance vehicle. No problems here.
I did have to have drivers side head light replaced (moisture) and the paint on my rims is flaking (getting warrantied next week) but niether of these are reliability issues, simply bugs.
Did I already say, "I LOVE MY COBALT"
Old 03-22-2006, 04:55 PM

LOL @ "Excellent" for Toyota Matrix and "Above Average" for Pontiac Vibe.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:42 PM

i was outraged when i saw the article...i found so many mistakes in the article that i went to the lengths of e-mailing the company, but of course they are right and i am wrong
Old 03-22-2006, 09:12 PM

I didnt read the article but I do have two 05 cobalt coupes in the drive way and after having each for almost a year I will say they are both garbage. I have had every non mechanical problem possible. Including many electrical and trim problems and my aunts base model has had continuous problems with stalling and cells. The cars are unreliable, my sevice advisor said he has never seen a car with so many problems as the cobalts. The rental place where I get my rentals almost weekly showed me that 6 out of their 7 cobalt sedans currently had cells that they could not get shut off. They also said the cobalt frequently went into limp mode on their costomers. My car was stickered at 18,600 dollars when I bought it, at some of the dealerships I've brought it to they have offered me as low as 9,500 dollars on a trade without budging. Thats after 1 year and 12,000 miles. In my personal experience with two seperate cobalts and just about every other cobalt owner and driver I have met the cobalt has proved to be nothing but gm junk. I bought the car because it was different and seemed well improved over the caviler but I should have never bought a first year car. It is complete garbage.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:15 PM

Sounds like you have a lemon. That sux. The one thing I have to say that I am concerned about is resale value. I wonder in 5 - 6 years, if my SS/SC will hold value. That is my only concern

Quick Reply: The worst small car!!