General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

The worst small car!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
put it this way, if you bought your car last year and made normal payments. They are selling new today for less than you owe. My guess is I will be upside down in my loan until its paid off. The 05's will have the worst resale value because as a whole they are known as lemons. I took mine to a subaru dealer thinking about walking out that day with an sti they had on the lot. I had the sti down to under 30k but they wouldnt even give me 11 grand for my cobalt. Said it would be impossible for him to sell because everyone knows they are garbage and the price keeps dropping on the new models. I told him thanks and walked out. He has my phone number and address and has yet to call to sell me the car or reconsider. He was being honest!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:13 PM

CR also rates the G6 as "low reliability" yet what award did it win? Oh yea the J.D. Power and associates "Best Intial Quality" award! Go figure....
Old 03-22-2006, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just feel the need to bitch here.....i worked on a civic today.....an i tell you what...it broke my ***** the whole time....it was a bitch and a half to get the rear motor mount out......i hate those damn things
Old 03-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my LS Sedan for a year now, it went into limp mode once, and i've never thrown a CEL, I've totalled it, and I drive it at WOT a large percentage of the time, and absolutely no complaints here!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:54 PM

STANDARD OPTIONS.....no one is taking this into consideration....a lot of compact cars get shitty rating by consumer reports, not because theyre not safe, but because consumer report tests a base cobalt....hence NO SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS.....when you add something like that you change a lot.....i was checking all this out when my bro got his mazda3, and thats how it is for a lot of these compact cars....w/o the side impact theyre not great in crashes.....but add those airbags and it changes a whole lot....check some posts around here, one guy got hit "T-Boned" into the passengers door by a camaro going around 30 or 40, his girlfriend was in the passenger seat, and walked out w/o a scratch BECAUSE OF THE SIDE IMPACT AIRBAGS
SO NOT TO WORRY WE ARE STILL VERY SAFE
Old 03-22-2006, 11:10 PM

It wasnt a safety test... It was a "car is a p.o.s. test" we won!!!! And gm cars will continue to win, not because Cons. Rep. favors Jap cars but because we arent building quality cars. I live in Lockport, NY, a town supported by a delphi plant hanging in the balance with all the bankruptcy talk. I have always been I die hard GM supporter with the rest of my family. Not anymore, with the build quality I have seen lately going from dealership to dealership trying to find a decent american made car and the comments from the dealerships relating to build quality my next car will be the best made car I can find. American or not. The delphi employees in my town are spoiled, my family that works there included. They put out 1/3 the units per hour of near by outsourced plants and make 2 to 3 times as muchper hour, not to mention the benefit plans. Its not a UAW thing either because the other plants are union also and they operate the same cells and put out more and better products while sharing engineers with delphi. It all can't be blamed on mismanagement and overpaid employees though, if we chose to build quality products we wouldnt be in this place no matter how much we over spent in the past. We just can't take pride in our American products anymore because for too many years we have relied on people like me to buy them because it is the right thing to do although they are substandard on todays market. Anything for an easy buck and that includes putting out sub par automobiles to our own public.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:15 PM

Consumer Reports is full of ****. It's no wonder the Imports win with the horrible trade deficit the United States has. Not to mention--I have an '05 SS S/C and I've had barely any problems. The sunroof trim fell off, a small piece of the door trim around the lock-thingy-of-a-majigger fell off, and that's about it. Consumer reports can suck it.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Vendian
Consumer Reports is full of ****. It's no wonder the Imports win with the horrible trade deficit the United States has. Not to mention--I have an '05 SS S/C and I've had barely any problems. The sunroof trim fell off, a small piece of the door trim around the lock-thingy-of-a-majigger fell off, and that's about it. Consumer reports can suck it.
Thats our problem, when your NEW car is falling apart its a problem. Look at my posts from a year ago, my car was falling apart and all I said was "no big deal" "its all good, glued it back on" You shouldnt have to put your new car back together. Its the little things that separate us from them. Yes I'm sure every car manufacturer has their problems but as much as I hate to say it they are not as extensive as ours. GM dealerships make thier money on warranty work while "others" service departments remain empty. No profit is made on a car that has to go in for service 30 times for "little things". Most of us have biased opinions because we love our cars, but if your new car, stalls, idles rough, cels come on, clutch doesnt last, rotors warp, falls apart or goes into limp mode at all... its "unreliable" and is the reason we top this list.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:32 PM

I think I'll buy a Daewoo...
Old 03-22-2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by vanillathrilla
I think I'll buy a Daewoo...
I could never drive a Daewoo....lol I don't care if I could buy one and have it last forever... LONG LIVE THE EVERLASTING NUBRIA!!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:47 PM

**** look at the ford fusion.... worst crash ratings ever, and it is marketed as a family vehicle, how would you feel about that? little food for thaught.....
Old 03-22-2006, 11:48 PM

all that matters is that we love our cars.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by italstalnprd86
**** look at the ford fusion.... worst crash ratings ever, and it is marketed as a family vehicle, how would you feel about that? little food for thaught.....
How do you figure? Its gotta 4 star rating for driver and passenger (frontal and side without side airbags). Look it up: http://www.safercar.gov/Index2.cfm
Cobalt got 4 star driver 5 star passenger on the frontal.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:53 AM

thats been redesigned for this year.... last year it got terrible ratings....
Old 03-23-2006, 08:34 AM

what was redesigned?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by wesmanw02
Not only that, but there are other multiple instances of bias in the Auto Issue. Somehow the Toyota Matrix recieved an "excellent" for reliability, while the Pontiac Vibe only recieved an "above average". I guess those retards didn't realize that they are the exact same vehicle with different body styles
they're even built on the same assembly line!!!
I stand by my original comment!

And, unfortunately for you Detrini, you got a lemon. It happens, especially in the first year. One of the many reasons why you don't hear about Japanese and Korean cars problems is the fact they are dumped in their domestic markets first to work the bugs out. So, by the time they get here, well, the bugs have been worked out. My family has been buying GMs/Chevrolets for ten years now and NO complaints. My first Chevrolet was a 91 Cavalier RS that I beat the living **** out of. It was unholy what I did to that car and it continued to roll along trouble free for 201,000 miles. Same with the 88 Cavalier, 96 and 98 Cavaliers. And the 93 Cavalier my roommate had (that went 321,000 for anyone that cares... without incident other than a waterpump failure) My mom had a 99 Cavalier, 2000 S10 2wd EC, 2004 Silverado EC 4x4 and had NO problems at all with ANY of them! My brother had a 92 Cutlass Supreme with over 210,000 miles on it with NO problems. His 2003 Monte Carlo, purchased new, has had NO problems. Even his 96 Chevy 1500 pickup keeps rolling along with 155,000 miles on it. My Cobalt gets the **** driven out of it (24,000 miles in 9 months on the roads here) and still feels and drives as solid as the day i bought it. In fact, it runs BETTER than the day I bought it.

My friend Leroy is on his second SS/SC (he traded his 05 SS/SC in for an 06 G85 SS/SC). He likes his SS more than his goddamn 05 GTO! He says its more fun to drive than the Goat. Weird.

Sorry you're having trouble, Detrini, but I will continue to own Chevrolets until I am dead or they go out of business. And, as I said before, Consumer Reports can choke on a big fat dick.

Scott
Old 03-23-2006, 10:49 AM

GM's current products are totally different than what they were putting out in the 80's and early-mid 90's. Unfortunately, the stigma that comes from their inferrior cars of that era is still attached to the GM name. Totally different cars now. It will just take a little time to distance themselves from the crap that they used to produce.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 7Thirty
CR is Japanese biased... Before i bought my Cobalt i research several different cars from the Scion TC to the Mazda RX8, to the saturn Ion. CR LOVED the RX-8 ... 89 rating out of 100. The car honestly was nice but they have an issue from DAY ONE with burning oil...

I have a friend who had one and likes it a lot but he says it does burn oil and he has only had it for a year and already had to replace his starter.

GM does need to step up.. They lose BIG points for their short warranties(3 years is the lease out of any automotive companies) But compare repair cost to these other companies and i love GM.

With the Cobalt... its just the first 2 years of existance. The first 3 years of a cars production they companies are still workin bugs out so u may see minor problems here and there... But from what ive seen from the cobalts and GM and Chevy in general is a very good product. I LOVE MY BALT!!!!!!!!! i waited a year and a half for it cuz i had cobalt info since late 2003 lol.

Dont pay attention to CR... Ive found EDMUNDS to be a MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCHHHHHHHHHHHH BETTER Source... they tell exactly what they like and dont like. Other than that check out forms.. Owners of vehicles will tell u straight

From what I understand, the rotary motors are DESIGNED to burn oil, that is why you cannot run synthetic in them. Synthetic has no flash point.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:44 AM

99 silverado. 130,000 miles, blew a head gasket.. thats really it.
my friends 96, he beat the crap outta it, transmission.. his fault.
friends 05 cobalt none
my 98 s-10 just minor things
01 blazer none, becides the door
03 envoy. none

gm builds good cars CR is dumb

Last edited by DC52NV; 03-23-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:46 AM

o...i forgot...i think they listed the 0-60 time at 6.4...who the hell was driving that?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:48 AM

and kids are being brainwashed by people these says the atuo tec thing my school offers, the teacher brain washes them, one kid.. with a unibrow today said its not not a truck unless its a ford today.. i laughed at him and said that my dads truck flys by f-150s like their parked, which it can haul its weight better, not to mention that my dads friend drove chevy all his life, bought a ford b/c of a deal in 99 and is on his 3rd engine.. hes gonna get a chevy again real soon. give the cobalt a few years, it will score alot better.. and the only reliable source i go by is jd power.. they tell hte truth
Old 03-23-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rickets112002
o...i forgot...i think they listed the 0-60 time at 6.4...who the hell was driving that?
thats what chevy says, dealer olny handbooks, they probly have one of those.. or somthing similar, i have one b/c i worked at a dealer and took one from a dealer
Old 03-23-2006, 12:00 PM

My car had brake problems at like 200 miles. I don't brake hard. There's serious pulsations. They're really out of parallel and have grooves. I've taken it to the dealership for them to fix, and within another 500 miles they're doing it again. My suspension has had this horrible squeak since I bought it. There's this weird knock from the back of the car several times while I drive. My MP3 player is slow as hell. Most of the car rattles in some way. ild quality for my 93 Honda and my 89 Cadillac was far more superior. I'm a valet for my job, and you can certtianly tell domestics from imports. The build quality for most domestics just isn't there.I will always be a GM guy... But I guess just not a NEW GM guy.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by detrini
It wasnt a safety test... It was a "car is a p.o.s. test" we won!!!! And gm cars will continue to win, not because Cons. Rep. favors Jap cars but because we arent building quality cars. I live in Lockport, NY, a town supported by a delphi plant hanging in the balance with all the bankruptcy talk. I have always been I die hard GM supporter with the rest of my family. Not anymore, with the build quality I have seen lately going from dealership to dealership trying to find a decent american made car and the comments from the dealerships relating to build quality my next car will be the best made car I can find. American or not. The delphi employees in my town are spoiled, my family that works there included. They put out 1/3 the units per hour of near by outsourced plants and make 2 to 3 times as muchper hour, not to mention the benefit plans. Its not a UAW thing either because the other plants are union also and they operate the same cells and put out more and better products while sharing engineers with delphi. It all can't be blamed on mismanagement and overpaid employees though, if we chose to build quality products we wouldnt be in this place no matter how much we over spent in the past. We just can't take pride in our American products anymore because for too many years we have relied on people like me to buy them because it is the right thing to do although they are substandard on todays market. Anything for an easy buck and that includes putting out sub par automobiles to our own public.
Way to generalize a whole auto industry based solely on your opinion of quality

A perfect example of a quality American vehicle is the new Chevy Impala. I checked one one a few weeks ago, and I was extremely impressed with the vehicle as a whole. The interior is easily one of the best in its class, better than even the Camry or Accord IMO. Looks like it belongs in a car costing $15K more. Everything felt very well assembled, panel gaps were tight, and the car drove like a Lexus.

GM is still in the process of converting all their vehicles over to the new style interior design and patching up the bugs, don't be so quick to judge.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:04 PM

Is this the same CR that KNOWINGLY lied about the Suzuki Samurai rollovers and were caught on videotape lying about the vehicles propensity to roll (their testers couldn't make it roll, but they claimed that it did). Is this the same CR that knowingly subjected the Isuzu Trooper to a chicane course that was found by investigators to be so tight as to make even high performance sports cars unstable while negotiating it? **** CR, they are about as reliable as a candle in a windstorm, and have intentionally spread false info in the past. I don't trust them as far as I can throw 'em. They WILL lie if it suits their purpose/cause.

Quick Reply: The worst small car!!