General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

The worst small car!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wesmanw02:

Ya, the Impala is made in Oshawa plant no.1 along with the Monte Carlo. All the cars made here are top quality. In fact the Buicks built here placed ahead of Honda in J D Powers Initial quality survey (Buick and Cadillac were 2nd and 3rd behind Lexus overall). So for anyone looking for a good domestic, don't forget the Oshawa cars. I have a 2004 Monte Dale Jr edition and it hasn't had a single problem yet.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

The Biggest Problems with cr & all the other polls is who the hell they ask & wat nerd is testing the cars. I filled out my JD Power report gave it good rating , im sure so did alot of other people.
So in Closing (Who Gives a Sh it wat they say) I love My Cobalt ss/sc
Old 03-23-2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
They held the markers up to there noise again too closely. If it's the least reliable car then why am I driving two of them? , I can't drive a Focus, they catch on fire too easily, can't drive a fusion(they suck in frontal crashes), can't drive a Civic(Style is not me and the cost of $$ to own one with actual options suck). Did you notice today that Honda already has 5 recalls on there car within the first year of the *new* Civic?

One thing that really really gets to me is Honda is still sporting a 30 year old car and never gave it a new re-badge... other makers like chevy re-badged the Cavailer, Neon Rebadged, The Contour Rebadged (I believe to Focus). It's hard to love a car that was built so small to be on the Toyko streets, made with every cheap plastic part possible from the ground up and still cost more then my domestic does and can't match power and performance. Maybe that's why I will never buy an Import.

Well put mike
Old 03-23-2006, 07:51 PM

I love my 2005 SS/SC, no problems what so ever, never had any warranty issues

(only problem is the cel P0171 from the k & n).

No recalls

Drove it back from florida @105 mph with the cruise set for about 40 minutes

and still got 29 mph that tank.

I work at a Chevy dealership and rarely see any cobalts in for warranty work. Only

seen 1 SS/SC in for the clutch burned up at 2000 miles but it was a 16 year old kid

and his first standard shift.

Jeff
2005 SS/SC and loving it!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by joerenaud
wesmanw02:

Ya, the Impala is made in Oshawa plant no.1 along with the Monte Carlo. All the cars made here are top quality. In fact the Buicks built here placed ahead of Honda in J D Powers Initial quality survey (Buick and Cadillac were 2nd and 3rd behind Lexus overall). So for anyone looking for a good domestic, don't forget the Oshawa cars. I have a 2004 Monte Dale Jr edition and it hasn't had a single problem yet.
Actually, being a valet, I'll stand behind saying that the new Buicks, Cadillac and Lexus's have great initial quality. I actually wouldn't mind a 2004 style Park Avenue Ultra... And I'm 17. So that has to be saying something.

Plus, I can vouch for the Montes... As I have one too. 2004 SS non s/c. It's the mileage car, with like 40k on it and it's a 2004. Almost no problems at all. The quality is even all still there. The only querk is that when it gets under freezing, when you shut the doors they sound hollow. haha!

Props to another Monte owner.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by italstalnprd86
thats been redesigned for this year.... last year it got terrible ratings....
Refering to the Ford Fusion?? Umm...The fusion is brand new for 2006...there has never been a ford fusion until 2006.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:10 AM

Lol

Originally Posted by designt1
From what I understand, the rotary motors are DESIGNED to burn oil, that is why you cannot run synthetic in them. Synthetic has no flash point.
You can run synthetic and I would advise it, since it doesn't leave a trail of blue smoke and lubricates better. No automobile engine sold in this country is designed to burn oil. They just can't build it to where it won't. They also can't build one to last as long as a piston engine. Did you ever notice all the RX-7 were for sale in the paper when they got about 100,000 miles on them? That is because they all needed the engines rebuilt and that was too expensive to justify keeping the car.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by giovanhalen
You can run synthetic and I would advise it, since it doesn't leave a trail of blue smoke and lubricates better. No automobile engine sold in this country is designed to burn oil. They just can't build it to where it won't. They also can't build one to last as long as a piston engine. Did you ever notice all the RX-7 were for sale in the paper when they got about 100,000 miles on them? That is because they all needed the engines rebuilt and that was too expensive to justify keeping the car.

But the rx-8 looks so sweet who cares... Thats it, test driving a 8 tomorrow... 12mpg and 1.3l of oil consuming fun at 9000rpms, who cares, it's built to pick up chicks.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wesmanw02

Not only that, but there are other multiple instances of bias in the Auto Issue. Somehow the Toyota Matrix recieved an "excellent" for reliability, while the Pontiac Vibe only recieved an "above average". I guess those idiots didn't realize that they are the exact same vehicle with different body styles
They are not the same car. They have lots of differences just like the Redline and SS/SC. Most notably though one is Pontiac and the other is Toyota, think resale value. Also the Matrices are assembled in Canada while the Vibes are assembled somewhere else which might account for the reliability difference, since the driveline isn't the only thing that effects reliability.

Does the door trim fall off the Redlines?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:04 AM
iso

Originally Posted by giovanhalen
except that the rotary engines are designed to burn oil. because of the way a rotary engine works, the only way to lubricate the rotor spinning in the housing is to spary oil into the intake/combustion/and exhaust chambers, since the rotor spins in the housing. therefore, everytime the rotor gets to the combustion chamber, a small amont of oil is burned off. also, comparing the 13b engine that was in the rx-7 to the renesis engine in the rx-8 isn't really fair, since the new renesis has been completely redesigned. it burns less oil, gets better mileage, and puts out more power than the non turboed 13b. it is also far more reliable and like the cobalt is still fairly too new to call unreliable. don't bash a car you apparently know little about.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by leviticus88
cough-cough Payed Off cough-cough
True! I hate CR, seriously, that is the most boring, BS car rag on the market.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:44 PM

unreliable?

its been a year, so far i got NO mechanical issues at all. its been extremely dependable and reliable

while one of my friend's two days old 05 ralliart didnt start at the dealer (last year)
Old 03-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PenguinPIE
unreliable?

its been a year, so far i got NO mechanical issues at all. its been extremely dependable and reliable

while one of my friend's two days old 05 ralliart didnt start at the dealer (last year)
You are just one drop in the bucket, as is your friend. They go by problems per car built and the Cobalts aren't so great in that department.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by detrini
But the rx-8 looks so sweet who cares... Thats it, test driving a 8 tomorrow... 12mpg and 1.3l of oil consuming fun at 9000rpms, who cares, it's built to pick up chicks.
dude.....its 12.9L/100km and its the same fuel milage of the 5.3L V8 DoD on the impalas and monte carlos and its putting out 303 hp instead of 212
and the reliability of the rotary, you dont wanna know.....i heard nothing but bad things about it

oh well....but i guess RX8 is way more popular....(can never pick up chicks with impala and monte carlo)..........but my suggestion is....wait for the camaro!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 280Z1977
They are not the same car. They have lots of differences just like the Redline and SS/SC. Most notably though one is Pontiac and the other is Toyota, think resale value. Also the Matrices are assembled in Canada while the Vibes are assembled somewhere else which might account for the reliability difference, since the driveline isn't the only thing that effects reliability.

Does the door trim fall off the Redlines?
Umm no, sorry but you're wrong.

They are the same damn vehicle, just with different styling for each brand. They share the same parts from the same suppliers to build the cars. All of the major components of the Vibe/Matrix are the same.

And since when does trim pieces coming loose affect reliability?? Seriously dude, get a clue
Old 03-25-2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by PenguinPIE
dude.....its 12.9L/100km and its the same fuel milage of the 5.3L V8 DoD on the impalas and monte carlos and its putting out 303 hp instead of 212
and the reliability of the rotary, you dont wanna know.....i heard nothing but bad things about it

oh well....but i guess RX8 is way more popular....(can never pick up chicks with impala and monte carlo)..........but my suggestion is....wait for the camaro!
Funny you responded because I did test drive a 2005 rx-8 today. And with a 6 year 100 thousand mile warranty I dont think the rotary engine will be an issue. I wont keep it past 60 thousand miles anyway. I am seriously debating this car it is simply amazing, not a ton of ***** but just feels incredible to drive. The car takes a little more care than a traditional motor but I can handle adding a half a quart of oil every couple of weeks, and if it does give me problems I will lemon law it just like I'm about to do with this cobalt. Best part, price fully loaded with gps navigation. Under 28,000... cant go wrong. and I found a used 2004 with the same options and 10,000miles for just 22,000.... Seriously debating, but I'll probably fall in love with another car tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:01 PM

And since when does trim pieces coming loose affect reliability?? Seriously dude, get a clue
When your car is in the dealer over and over for the trim falling apart and coming apart that and you have to drive **** rentals it affects reliability. Its rediculous. I will defend my car to a point but when GM is handing out poorly designed and put togeather pieces of **** I'm not going to be putting it on a pedistol or defending it when magazines I dont like put it down.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Banned

Umm no, sorry but you're wrong.

They are the same damn vehicle, just with different styling for each brand. They share the same parts from the same suppliers to build the cars. All of the major components of the Vibe/Matrix are the same.

Ummmm once again you are talking while being uneducated. The matrix and vibes are assembled in completely different plants(in different countries). Yes they share most parts, but they do not share the same assembly line(body to frame). With that said, tolerances could be different from one plant to the next on many many things..

Reliability: Capable of being relied on; dependable: a reliable assistant; a reliable car.

So how does trim pieces coming loose(meaning not working properly) NOT effect reliability? The car has to go to the dealer to get those things fixed meaning you can not rely on the car.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:33 PM

I'd rather pay less for my car pay half the price for my car, pay half the price for the parts to fix it, and contribute(even minorly) to the U.S. economy then buy some jap crap that breaks half as much but the the parts are 2x the cost. Not to mention I'll take 150hp and 150ft-lbs of tq any day over 120hp and 90ft-lbs of tq for a car that costs more in the same class. Insurance is cheaper too on my cobalt than if I would have bought a civic.

Eh, my car can break all it wants. I own my own shop and get parts at wholesale.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned

Ummmm once again you are talking while being uneducated. The matrix and vibes are assembled in completely different plants(in different countries). Yes they share most parts, but they do not share the same assembly line(body to frame). With that said, tolerances could be different from one plant to the next on many many things..

Reliability: Capable of being relied on; dependable: a reliable assistant; a reliable car.

So how does trim pieces coming loose(meaning not working properly) NOT effect reliability? The car has to go to the dealer to get those things fixed meaning you can not rely on the car.
Dude you are a freaking idiot:

"The Vibe was conceived by General Motors and is built to Toyota assembly standards with Toyota components at a joint GM/Toyota assembly plant. Toyota sells its own version of the car, called the Matrix, with different styling cues. Traditional Pontiac styling cues distinguish the Vibe. Its wedge shape, muscular stance and cat-eye headlamps signal that you are looking at a Pontiac.

The Pontiac Vibe is built in the same GM/Toyota-owned New United Motor Manufacturing (NUMMI) assembly plant in Fremont, California. "

Get a clue what you are talking about before you start ranting about things
Old 03-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Banned

Dude you are a freaking idiot:

"The Vibe was conceived by General Motors and is built to Toyota assembly standards with Toyota components at a joint GM/Toyota assembly plant. Toyota sells its own version of the car, called the Matrix, with different styling cues. Traditional Pontiac styling cues distinguish the Vibe. Its wedge shape, muscular stance and cat-eye headlamps signal that you are looking at a Pontiac.

The Pontiac Vibe is built in the same GM/Toyota-owned New United Motor Manufacturing (NUMMI) assembly plant in Fremont, California. "

Get a clue what you are talking about before you start ranting about things
Wow, already to the insults.

The Vibe is indeed assembled at the NUMMI plant in California, while the Matrix is assembled in Canada. http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nat...ota050623.html --- "This would be the second Toyota plant in Ontario. The Japanese automaker has a manufacturing facility in nearby Cambridge, Ont., that builds Corolla sedans, the Matrix crossover vehicle and the Lexus RX 330 luxury SUV model. It employs 4,300 people. "

Why no comment on the reliability of trim pieces??

Old 03-26-2006, 08:37 PM

owned
Old 03-26-2006, 08:50 PM

who cares? cobalts are in their second year, it will progress as time goes.. its all good
Old 03-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Banned

Wow, already to the insults.

The Vibe is indeed assembled at the NUMMI plant in California, while the Matrix is assembled in Canada. http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nat...ota050623.html --- "This would be the second Toyota plant in Ontario. The Japanese automaker has a manufacturing facility in nearby Cambridge, Ont., that builds Corolla sedans, the Matrix crossover vehicle and the Lexus RX 330 luxury SUV model. It employs 4,300 people. "

Why no comment on the reliability of trim pieces??

Whats so funny?? I called you an idiot because your blindly defending something you don't have a clue about. Both vehicles are assembed to the same standards, they use the same components, and they share the same designs. Yet one is more reliable than the other?? Bullshit.

And including the trim pieces in the "reliability" is just plain stupid. If a piece from the sunroof trim comes lose, for example, it doesn't affect the reliability of the car. It doesn't leave you stranded, it doesn't cause the car to become undrivable, it doesn't make it "unreliable" in any way. Case closed, just drop it.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:30 AM

Ya, I just wanted to jump in here and add. I baught one of the first few SS's to hit California back in July of '05 and I have had no problems with it what-so-ever. I hit a curb about 3 months after I got it, and had to change the tires that I ate up becuause of it, but that was my fault, had nothing to do with the reliability of the car. As far as GM and Chevy in general goes, that is all my family has ever owned. Just to list '92, '96, and '00 Surburbans an '02 Silverado 1500, an '03 Silverado 1500, and an '04 Silverado 2500HD, and now my '05 Cobalt SS, and have had NO major problems at all with any of them. They have all been very "reliable" cars. I have never been a Ford fan at all, and have NEVER baught import cars. I really dont care what any magazine, journal, newspaper, add, or report has to say. I go by what I have expierenced, and I have had nothing but good things to say. And until I see something wrong with the cars and trucks that I buy, I will keep buying Chevy products.

Quick Reply: The worst small car!!