General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Would a Cobalt SS/SC be a good car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a Cobalt SS/SC be a good car for me?

Hi everyone! I'm 15, and when I turn 16, will recieve my mom's '04 Chevy Tahoe, but I'll soon sell it due to the fact that it gets 13.5 MPG. I will be buying a used FWD car that is decently fast, and I can race it in Autocross events and do well (don't worry, I'm 100% opposed to street racing). I am also considering the Civic Si and RSX-S, but I'm biased towards Chevy. My dad will also drive my car once-in-a-while, and he wants something that has decent power (he's had his share of Camaros and Trans Ams). I will own this car for a long time, and I'll eventually mod it. So, would the Cobalt SS/SC be a good car for me? Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-24-2006, 03:37 PM

the ss.sc is a car MADE for track racing, so there you go, on top of that you will get over 20mpg, serious modding will net you about 260 to 280whp which will make a killer car for the twisties.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:47 PM

IMO, If you're in to autox and what not, an Evo and STI would be your best bet if it is in your price range

EDIT: Just saw that you said FWD
Old 11-24-2006, 03:48 PM

lol this kids smart, gas mileage is everything, Im in the same boat, im 15, in NY turning 16, moving to north carolina, dad wants me to get a desently fast chevy and he will also wanna drive it, our dads should get together, lol. And on top of all that MY DAD HAS A 77 CAMARO! hmm.. I wonder if we are clones.... and I would get my dads tahoe, not my moms, she has a cadillac, when he buys a hummer.... lol
Old 11-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would wait 3 years till you're ready, then research...
Old 11-24-2006, 03:51 PM

That's kind of strange how similar we are, Killjoy.

Anyways, an SS/SC would be pretty much perfect for me? I sat in one at the NY Auto Show and loved every second of it, even more than when I sat in the Evo 9.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:07 PM

the ss models were built for autoX, beating the si and many others in the saloum, look under news and announcements and you can find more unbiased info on the car
Old 11-24-2006, 04:33 PM

Why do you say that, D4u2s0t?
Old 11-24-2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Roody
You always crash your first car.... at least if you have a need for speed like me!
Old 11-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Yes, of course its a good car.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:17 PM

Can I have your parents?

04 Tahoe for a first car is damn nice. I got stuck with a Chevy 1500 with 150,000 on the ticker.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:02 PM

The 'Hoe (Tahoe, that is), will probably have ~65,000 miles by the time I get it, but it's fully loaded...heated seats...everything except navigation. Sure, I would love to keep it, but for what I want/need, 13.5 MPG just doesn't cut it.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:16 PM

So, I'm also considering the new Civic Si and new GTI. What would convince me to skip over them and get a SS/SC?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:18 PM

Check out the ION RL, those are virtually the same car and have a cheaper resale value, plus being a younger guy, accidents tend to happen. Plastic panels help you forget they ever did, like parking in a high school parking lot. I would get a RL and throw stage 2 on there and your set, BTW buy an 05 or 06 not an 04 as their ECU is a little funky and some state that they are slower.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:30 PM

I know its hard to tell you to think realistically, but humor me.

You're 15, and will have a VERY nice car for a 15 year old. This, in turn, brings jealousy. High school + nice car = get ready for trouble. My neighbor (17 years old) had his 1995 Celica GT-Four keyed and nasty things spray painted on it, simply because some kid in his class didn't like him.

If I were you I'd be thinking about the next couple/few years of high school before considering owning a nice car.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:37 PM

So, I'm also considering the new Civic Si and new GTI. What would convince me to skip over them and get a SS/SC?

I agree with pyro 100%. Nobody respects anyone elses stuff. Especially if its nicer than what they have. But anyways, the Si is REALLY small inside. But if you arent a fat ****** like me you wont have to worry about it. The Si will undoubtedly have alot better resale value. It will last you forever because it makes about as much torque as a fisher price socket wrench (no power = less abused/worn parts). The SS/SC is alot better looking and is probably more fun to drive. The Supercharger will get you mad pootang. Just don't go and kill yourself.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm 15, and when I turn 16, will recieve my mom's '04 Chevy Tahoe, but I'll soon sell it due to the fact that it gets 13.5 MPG. I will be buying a used FWD car that is decently fast, and I can race it in Autocross events and do well (don't worry, I'm 100% opposed to street racing). I am also considering the Civic Si and RSX-S, but I'm biased towards Chevy. My dad will also drive my car once-in-a-while, and he wants something that has decent power (he's had his share of Camaros and Trans Ams). I will own this car for a long time, and I'll eventually mod it. So, would the Cobalt SS/SC be a good car for me? Thanks for the advice!

Kid, you may wanna go with a 2.4L SS or something less pwoerful. Your insurance is goign to be HIGH AS FREAK. Mine is goign to be 2,900 a year, and that is with a discount. I'm Going to be 18 when i get my car.

Honestly though, it is nothing personal, but I don't think its wise to have that much power at your hands, until you have had experience. I've driven cars since I was around 14 (ssh, don't tell). That would be like me getting a GTO right now. And like my dad told me, even if you're opposed to it, you're gunna try it. If a modded Civic rolls up next to you and revs, you're gunna wanna pwn him, and you're gunna do it. I was denying it as well, but I think I will end up wanting to try it.

but yeah, the SS/SC is good, especially if you're responsible, but you have choices that woudl cost less. Do what you liek though. and good luck
Old 11-24-2006, 07:54 PM

ss/sc or rl are a good choice but be careful man thats a lot of power for a new driver
Old 11-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Banned

i didn't mean any disrespect by it.... i'm just saying alot can change in a few years...
Old 11-24-2006, 08:23 PM

Becuase he doesn't have an SS/SC. He will envy you BIG time. j/k.

You know, I'll go back to when I was 15-16 years of age. I never thought I would be talking about how I used to be 15-16 but I am. Anyways, my dad wanted to give me a old Geo Spectrum. It was a 4 door and in decent shape. Had about 90k miles 5 speed real good on gas. About 30-35 mpg. My best friend got a Fox body 5.0 Gt mustang. I just couldn't go rolling into school with what my dad wanted to give me. So I worked real hard and bought a 92 25th Annivers. Camaro Z-28. T-tops and everything. I loved the car but I got into alot of trouble. Lost my license and lots of fines, I was lucky enough not to wreck it but I must say, I was very unexperianced and imature. I'm not saying you will be the same way is me. My car also got keyed because poeple get jelous of things like that. If I could go back, I would of saved my cash and drive the Geo. Hell I would still have it as a beater. My dad still has it, its running strong @ 150k miles. If only I would of listend. You know, think it out real hard. Talk to your parents. I think a new car would be a good idea if your willing to work hard and take good care of it. I can see why the SUV wouldnt be good cuz of mpg. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:28 PM

16 years old with an SS/SC or RL would be ****** sweet, take everyones advice on being careful, but if you can do it, then do it. I had a slew of junkers as a young man, when I started buying expensive fast cars as I got older, I still had fun like I was 16 in them. Just learn the car, before you do anything real risky. Take it easy with it and know that it is not just a fun car, but a weapon if in the wrong hands. No one here can say that you are not fit to drive that car. You will be fine and as for your questions, the SS/SC gives the most performance per dollar compared to the GTi or Si.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
Becuase he doesn't have an SS/SC. He will envy you BIG time. j/k.

You know, I'll go back to when I was 15-16 years of age. I never thought I would be talking about how I used to be 15-16 but I am. Anyways, my dad wanted to give me a old Geo Spectrum. It was a 4 door and in decent shape. Had about 90k miles 5 speed real good on gas. About 30-35 mpg. My best friend got a Fox body 5.0 Gt mustang. I just couldn't go rolling into school with what my dad wanted to give me. So I worked real hard and bought a 92 25th Annivers. Camaro Z-28. T-tops and everything. I loved the car but I got into alot of trouble. Lost my license and lots of fines, I was lucky enough not to wreck it but I must say, I was very unexperianced and imature. I'm not saying you will be the same way is me. My car also got keyed because poeple get jelous of things like that. If I could go back, I would of saved my cash and drive the Geo. Hell I would still have it as a beater. My dad still has it, its running strong @ 150k miles. If only I would of listend. You know, think it out real hard. Talk to your parents. I think a new car would be a good idea if your willing to work hard and take good care of it. I can see why the SUV wouldnt be good cuz of mpg. Good luck.
What is said is good advice for you. Just learning to drive... parking in a High School parking lot, I'd much rather keep that Free car. Sure, gas is gonna cost you more... BUT you don't have a $300 Monthly payment. And trust me, just entering the world of credit... your payment will be that high! With all that money saved from no Monthly Payments, when You turn 18 and graduate... you got a hefty down payment saved up, and if you play your cards right... You can get a real nice car... Like an EVO VIII, IX, or by that time X... or an STi or a SS/SC. Put half of it to a Down payment... the other half to a Ton of Mods.

I wish I had gone that route as well. Save up, Buy something really nice for yourself when you graduate.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:20 PM

My birthdya is on the 30th of next month. My SS/SC is going to be my christmas present, birthdya,a nd graduation. I ahve to be relaly paranoid about it, ya know. And hey, in 08 there are supposed to be changes. So wait until you have experience under your belt. Wait until you can handle the power and now worry about jealous schoolmates, etc.

If you wnat pwoer get an older model of a car in manual tranny and stuff. Besides, do you know hwo to drive stick well?
Old 11-24-2006, 09:32 PM

i was 16 when i bought my ss s/c and its one of the faster cars in my school and loving it, the mods are cheap and the car is jsut all i can ask for, 1 performance, 2 its deff a chick magnet. lol thats my favorite part but yeah i love it
Old 11-24-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Coblt ss super
i was 16 when i bought my ss s/c and its one of the faster cars in my school and loving it, the mods are cheap and the car is jsut all i can ask for, 1 performance, 2 its deff a chick magnet. lol thats my favorite part but yeah i love it

lol, you're lucky your dad would late you break warranty. My dad won't let me put any mods on it until the warranty is off.

Quick Reply: Would a Cobalt SS/SC be a good car for me?