General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

would you trust the little guy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would you trust the little guy?

So let's say you are looking for a certain type of "mod" for your car. The options are endless, and prices vary by company. Now, let's say you stumble across a lesser known company, who says all the same crap as the big dogs i.e. "our products are top notch...etc" And can give you a 100% satisfaction guarantee or they will refund 100% of the purchase price of the product.

Would you take a chance just to see if maybe, just maybe these smaller "no-name" companies really do have a quality product? and maybe aren't as concerned about huge mark-up as bigger companies. I think that a lot of us pay for the name on some products. Granted there are cheap unreliable **** parts out there, but i think sometimes you gotta take a chance with the "little guy". I mean hell, if they are willing to refund 100% of your money if you aren't satisfied.....You never know right?

what do you guys think?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:18 PM

i usually make sure to atleast do a google search, somtimes you will find threads on other car fourms about those companys
Old 06-04-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Every big company was a little company at one point, those who made it often made it because of their service and quality.

I guess you gotta give it a shot, imagine when AEM first hit the scene, I'm sure people scratched their heads at first...

Ryan
Old 06-04-2007, 09:20 PM

or search the better buisness bureau
Old 06-04-2007, 09:25 PM

It depends on the type of part. If you're talking about something like rims without moving parts or anything, then definitely go with the little guy, but with something that could affect performance or even blow up on you, you've got to go with name brands.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:30 PM

i say to research into the company first and learn as much as you can about their product. i tinker on my waverunner quite a bit, and because the PWC market is pretty niche, almost every company is 'small' with the exception of about 3. but most of the message boards i go to are very helpful about product testing and reviewing, so like halfj said, do some research.

plus if the price is right and they're willing to guarantee their product (with some means of backing up their guarantee), you may find a gem of a company.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by mufnman
i say to research into the company first and learn as much as you can about their product. i tinker on my waverunner quite a bit, and because the PWC market is pretty niche, almost every company is 'small' with the exception of about 3. but most of the message boards i go to are very helpful about product testing and reviewing, so like halfj said, do some research.

plus if the price is right and they're willing to guarantee their product (with some means of backing up their guarantee), you may find a gem of a company.
What ^^ he ^^ said...

My '03 Ranger came from the factory with a 90mph speed governor... Yes a speed governor and yes it sucked. Well when you are normally doing 85mph on the GSP that don't leave much headroom...

I looked everywhere for a company that offered a programmer and tunes that eliminated or bumped up the limit. All of the big companies offered "performance tunes" yet kept the 90mph governor (do they not understand that a 90mph governor defeats any "performance" gain you might get from a tune?). One little guy just starting out carving a niche writing tunes for the Ranger, Explorers and Mazda Bs said he would do it, no problem as long as I assured him I would not be running the factory H-rated tires. That guy was Doug from Bamachips. Today he is doing it all even custom one off tunes for the full range of Ford products and is building on his reputation of standing by everything he sells 100%.

My point is the little guys sometimes have the most to offer because they are little... Just be cautious and do your homework...

BTW: One of the funniest things to do while commuting in my Ranger was cruising along doing 85mph on the GSP and having some little twerp pull up next to me in his Pep-Boys Pimped Ranger or Mazda to pass then watch his face as I pull away from him at 95-100mph. Even better was watching them try to catch up so they could ask how I defeated the governor... Ahh, I miss my summer commutes with the Ranger... NOT!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:38 PM

For myself, it depends on what said part/piece is going to do. Is it going to affect warranty? Is it a perfomance mod? Visual? Visual is the only one i'd go with the little guy on.
I am very company loyal too, but if the little guy does have a way to guarantee it; go for it.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:26 AM

do your research. and a lot depends on where you buy from. if its coming from a supporting vendor, odds are you are safe. if its from ebay, I would have to pass. even if its a big name, be careful on ebay.

I bought some springs from SSC, they were a lot less money than Eibach or any others out there. I wasn't even going to concider it because the price was so low, I was worried it might reflect quality. I did some research and found very good reviews. I ended up buying them, saving a lot of money, and having a product that was just as good as any thing, from anyone.

research research research!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dj_BuCa
So let's say you are looking for a certain type of "mod" for your car. The options are endless, and prices vary by company. Now, let's say you stumble across a lesser known company, who says all the same crap as the big dogs i.e. "our products are top notch...etc" And can give you a 100% satisfaction guarantee or they will refund 100% of the purchase price of the product.

Would you take a chance just to see if maybe, just maybe these smaller "no-name" companies really do have a quality product? and maybe aren't as concerned about huge mark-up as bigger companies. I think that a lot of us pay for the name on some products. Granted there are cheap unreliable **** parts out there, but i think sometimes you gotta take a chance with the "little guy". I mean hell, if they are willing to refund 100% of your money if you aren't satisfied.....You never know right?

what do you guys think?
Sounds like turbo to me. If that's the case, then it depends... If you're talking about an eBay part, I'd think twice. If you're talking about a real company that's trying to get into that market, it might be worth researching.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SmOKe JeNsOn
or search the better buisness bureau
As simple and easy as that sounds, you'd be suprised who doesn't check the BBB and you'd also be suprised what comes up when you finally do.

Personally, most of the companies I did deal with are relatively "little" compared to LARGE companies like Greddy, AEM or something of that nature.

So yes but do your research before hand. And use common sense...if it looks too good to be true...