How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Appearance: How To - Install and Aim NEW Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To - Install and Aim NEW Projectors

Well since I was asked to do this.......I might as well write it up. I will try to post as many pics as I can.

Tools needed:
10mm socket and ratchet
Philips Screwdriver

1. First thing that needs to be done is the removal of the stock headlights. There is two silver colored bolts on top of the headlight that you remove. Then you push on the inside of the lightbulb and pull out on the outside on the lightbulb. You might need to use a little force, but they should come right out. Disconnect the stock wiring harness and you are done removing the stock headlight.

2. If you do not have HID's, and are not installing them, then please skip to Step 7.

3. If you are installing HID's, a great place to mount the ballast is underneath the black plastic holder for the headlights. There are four bolts to remove. Two black ones on top along the upper radiator support, and two silver ones that are directly at the bottom of the black clip. They should be longer then any other bolt, but they are still 10mm bolts. If you push the left side of the black clip down, and pull out on the right side, the black clip should come out very easily.

4. Directly below the black clip is one of the subframe arms to attach the bumper to the car. This is a great place to mount the ballasts. A couple of self tapping screws and you should be good to go!

5. Now you put back the black clip. Just put it in in reverse of Step 3. Make sure to run the wires in the same hole as the stock headlight plug so that you will have lots of room to run the wires once the new headlights are in.

6. So now that the black clip is back in, you are ready to put the HID bulbs in. You will have to cut a small hole in the bottom of the rubber cover that goes over where the low beam light bulb goes in. This will allow the wires for the HID bulbs to come through. Make sure to put the hole down to the bottom when you reinstall the rubber cover. This way no water will get into the housing. Make sure to push the cover on firmly and that it is evenly in all the way around, that way the cover will not come off.

Pic of the rubber cover:

7. Now that you have put the bulbs in you are ready to put the projectors in. And for those who are not putting in HID's, welcome to Step 7!! The projectors will go in the same way as the stock headlights came out. Plug in the stock wiring harness to the one on the projectors, and you are done with the wiring.

The plug is the black plug at the bottom of this pic:

8. Now the projectors will be a tight fit, but eventually they will go in. Just be patient, and you might have to use some force but they will go in.

9. Now you have to aim the projectors. The low beams are the only thing that can be adjusted, not the high beams.

The gold adjuster at the bottom is used to adjust the low beam left or right. The silver one on top is used to move the low beam up and down.

10. To adjust the left and right you are going to have to remove the light housing off and on until you have it where you want it. They should be straight and should line up like the following picture:

Some people think that this cutoff is no good, but it is how these lights are and is a good cutoff.

11. Now once you have the left and right adjusted you can install the headlights permanently. The up and down can be adjusted with the headlights in place. The adjusted is easy to get at. You can use the philips screwdriver to adjust the up and down by turning it in the notches from the top. Unfortunately I do not have a good picture of this right now, but I will add one once I get one.

12. With the up and down adjustment, you should make sure that the beams are high enough that when you are driving down the road, you should NOT see the cutoff anywhere on the road. But at the same time make sure that they are not too high either. A good way to chack this is once you get them to a point, turn on the high beams and see if the lows are lower then the high beam pattern. If they are, you are good to go!!

I hope this helps people with installing the new projectors and aiming them. Here is a couple final pics of what they look like:

Last edited by REIGN SS; 08-23-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:09 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
approved
Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get us some daylight pics of these. Still waiting for some good pictures.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:24 PM

Here are some daylight pictures:

Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 AM

how come all the projectors i see always have that fog look on the front of the lamp..or are they just dirty..lol
Old 12-06-2007, 12:52 AM

Nah that is a little fog. It comes from leaving the heated underground parking and heading out into the COLD weather. BRRRRR!!!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

wow, i really like those...
Old 12-06-2007, 12:56 AM

They are pretty sweet.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:18 AM

You forgot to mention that for the HID bulb, the return lead has to be on the same side as the tab.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 AM

Subscribed. Great write up.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:26 AM

nice man! mine should be here sometime next week along with my HIDs
Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Banned

On a scale of 1-10 10 being the hardest, how would you rate the install for someone who has never put HIDs in these projectors and the install of the projectors themselves.

Also, where did you order your HID kit from?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:46 PM

The cutoff on those look retarded.

But I guess the assembly themselves don't look too bad. If you threw a true hid projector in those and removed the halo rings they would be bad ass.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:44 PM

I wonder how hard it would be to put a better projector into them?

I do agree that the projectors could be better.

Last edited by DoubleLP; 12-07-2007 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the how-to, used this write up a couple of weeks ago to wire up the lights.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:18 PM

No problem!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:34 AM

I still think this how-to would be perfect if there was instructions on which way to turn the adjusters on the back of the housings to aim the projectors (left/right up/down) and which way to turn the adjusters (clockwise/counterclockwise).
Old 03-01-2008, 09:23 PM

works.. approved...
Old 03-01-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mercury
The cutoff on those look retarded.

But I guess the assembly themselves don't look too bad. If you threw a true hid projector in those and removed the halo rings they would be bad ass.
reminds me of the cutoff on evo's. yet theirs are more of a swoosh

do you think those veritcal lines in the lens mess with the light from the projector?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by CHARGDSS
do you think those veritcal lines in the lens mess with the light from the projector?
Certainly does. They contribute more to the "stray" light that you see on the left and right hand side of the main beams.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CHARGDSS
reminds me of the cutoff on evo's. yet theirs are more of a swoosh

I think evo's have the sexiest cutoff ever.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleLP
Certainly does. They contribute more to the "stray" light that you see on the left and right hand side of the main beams.
Then why would they put those stupid lines there anyway? They definitely look weird but maybe its cuz thats how the stock lens is, but on the stock lights, it seperates the turn signal and the main beam.

And you definitely can reach both light adjustment knobs without removing the headlights. You just need a longer philips screwdriver. You just need to stick in in the top of the knob, not the back.

Last edited by PolishPauL; 03-02-2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 AM

Yeah, I used a longer screwdriver too & I could reach the bottom adjuster knobs easy, thank god! I didn't want to take the damn lights out every time to aim them. It didn't take long at all
Old 04-24-2008, 12:36 AM

I have this set up but in black. everything went in nicely and this install helped alot, but there is something effed with my light. I have no light in the middle of the road, its all in the ditch/sidewalk. '

Light \\ nolight // light

How do i fix this?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 PM

Just the way it is with these projectors. Maybe your left to right needs to be adjusted more inwards.

Quick Reply: Appearance: How To - Install and Aim NEW Projectors