How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Drivetrain: Howto Bleed the clutch way #2

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howto Bleed the clutch way #2

So after a night and half today under the hood of my car I finally found the PERFECT way to bleed our clutch. Standard way that is commonly known way to do it is to put a hose on the bleeder valve and put the other end submerged in a container of brake fluid, pump the pedal a few times, turn the knob, close the knob, let the pedal go, all that jazz. This is pretty much the same, but slightly modified.

Go get a one-man bleeder kit from your local auto store. Put one end of the hose on your bleeder valve (Make sure the valve is only finger tight, but the hose is on good and tight) and the other end on the top of the bottle. Make sure the brake/clutch fluid resovoir is full the whole time you do this, if it goes down a little at all fill it back up to the brim. There is a slight hole just below full that I believe is the baffle that directs fluid into the clutch line. Fill a part of the bottle with fluid just enough to get the hose inside of it under the fluid level then close the bottle and put it above the bleeder valve somewhere so the air bubbles have an easy upward path. Now go pump the pedal a few times and release it. Go under the hood and loosen the valve a little until the fluid starts to flow, you will see lots of bubbles the first time. Let it flow until all the big bubbles really stop coming or the bottle gets full. Then close the valve. Make sure the car's resovoir doesn't get empty. Dump some of the fluid out of the bottle and close it back up, be sure to keep the hose under the fluid level. Pump the pedal a few more times and release it. Go back under the hood and turn the valve until all the little bubbles stop coming, then close it again. If the bottle is full, dump it. Watch the car's resovoir. Pump the pedal a few more times and release it. Go under the hood, loosen the bleeder, let it flow until it's just plain liquid going through, no bubbles, then close it. Make sure the resovoir is good and full then put the cap back on. Pull the bleeder kit out and start the car, pump the pedal a few times, should be decently stiff but not loose. It will engage like 2" from rest now and there will be no need to come anywhere near the floor to disengage the pressure plate.

taken from the redline forums

This actually works, I tried the otherway with the vacume hose for 3 hours and could not get it to work, I figured I would share this as its extremely easy

Last edited by TommyP; 05-17-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to try it this way since it worked perfect for you. Thanks and +rep
Old 02-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I just did this. Worked perfect . Took 10 minutes. The only thing I needed to do was put a small block over the supply line from reseviour to the clutch cylinder so the fluid would flow down into the clutch cylinder. Pumped it 10 times . Checked the fluid level and repeated 3 times. Clutch engages halfway up . Perfect
Old 08-27-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be using this method Monday when my new master shows up.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just used a vacuum gun with fluid resivior.same concept though.works great