INTENSE-Racing.com Intense Racing is a proud Supporting Vendor

A few Q's for you Gents...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few Q's for you Gents...

I'm just a few decisions away from purchasing the Stage III kit, I do have a few questions I'd like to ask before I make my decision if you don't mind:

1.) Since splicing/soldering is required with this kit, once a "plug-n-play" solution is found for the necessary components will we be able to convert over to a "plug-n-play" style application? I guess in general I'm just concerned that if you guys come out with something that would be more efficient/convenient/ or just plain better I want to be sure this would be backwards compatible.

2.) When the GM kits come out will there be any benefits at all from any of the parts (from the stage upgrades) if we already have the kit from Intense?

3.) Will I need to purchase an adjustable belt tensioner? Rather...do you recommend it?

4.) Are there instructions on how to tune w/ the MAF-T or set the settings you recommend with the kit?

5.) Is there any pics of the install done? I want to see how factory it looks....believe it or not a tech @ the dealership said as long as it doesn't *look* ghetto rigged, I probably wouldn't have a problem w/ warranty.

6.)....most importantly....will I enjoy the kit once I've spent my hard earned money and installed it?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Doc

One question, if I might add.
What are the current issues/limitations with the MAF-T?
Do you think it can be solved when the stage kits from GM come out (if there is one)? and how (or why not)?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:50 AM
360 L337 User

I would also like to know.. come on. help us out here
Old 12-29-2005, 02:10 AM

What stage 3 kit are you talking about? i thought that gm was only making a stage 1 and stage 2 kit?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not the GM kit. The intense stage 3 kit that gives you 260-270 whp. I don't know. Stay with the GM kit. with 1.2" pulley, 60 psi turbo, and some good slicks

Edit: JK about the 1.2 pulley and the turbo, however if it were possible to put a 1.2" pulley, I'd definately be in. It would give us like at least a 70 hp increase.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:54 AM

BUMP** BadGTP or anyone from intense wanna chime in?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Former Vendor

Sorry guys, but I missed this thread... Let me try to answer all your questions below.
1.) Since splicing/soldering is required with this kit, once a "plug-n-play" solution is found for the necessary components will we be able to convert over to a "plug-n-play" style application? I guess in general I'm just concerned that if you guys come out with something that would be more efficient/convenient/ or just plain better I want to be sure this would be backwards compatible.
We'll almost certainly be coming out with 'plug and play' versions of the kit down the road. The moment the various connectors/adapters become available, we'll have them. The problem is that we have no way of knowing how long that might take. The MAF connectors may only be a week or two away, but the fuel injector connectors might take a lot longer.

As long as you leave your OEM connectors in place, you should be able to convert to 'plug and play' down the road. I'm not sure I see the benefit of converting after the kit is installed though, since you would have to solder all the new connectors onto the fuel injector connectors and MAF Translator at that time.

2.) When the GM kits come out will there be any benefits at all from any of the parts (from the stage upgrades) if we already have the kit from Intense?
One of their kits is going to include a smaller drive belt, and we think this is a good idea. We are working on sourcing that belt individually ourselves, and it should become available in the near future.

3.) Will I need to purchase an adjustable belt tensioner? Rather...do you recommend it?
No. The factory one is hydraulic and self-adjusting. A smaller belt will make sense once it becomes available.

4.) Are there instructions on how to tune w/ the MAF-T or set the settings you recommend with the kit?
We pre-set if for you. Instructions are included also.

5.) Is there any pics of the install done? I want to see how factory it looks....believe it or not a tech @ the dealership said as long as it doesn't *look* ghetto rigged, I probably wouldn't have a problem w/ warranty.
There's not really any way to see the larger fuel injectors, connectors or spark plugs once installed. The pulley system can easily be seen, and the MAF Translator can be seen if you mount it in a visible location. Both of these are pictured in our online store at www.INTENSE-Racing.com. I'll go ahead and add some images here as well:

6.)....most importantly....will I enjoy the kit once I've spent my hard earned money and installed it?
Let's see here...270 WHP...317 crankshaft horsepower...2,800 pounds....uh yeah, that sound enjoyable to me.

What are the current issues/limitations with the MAF-T?
The current limitation is that the wires need to be soldered. We're working on that now, but honestly, it's not that big of a deal to solder six wires. Longer term, the limitation is that fuel injectors larger than the 42 pounders can't be used with a MAF Translator and a stock PCM. But this same limitation will exist in GM's PCM code too. We'll need to crack into the PCM code at some point, and we're also working on this...

Happy New Year everyone!

Scott
Old 01-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bad GTP

Let's see here...270 WHP...317 crankshaft horsepower...2,800 pounds....uh yeah, that sound enjoyable to me.

Scott
I have 1 quick question...If all i put on is the Stage 3 kit...it will give me 270 horses with just the kit correct??? because i am really really considering driving to you guys in Ohio and having it done ASAP the weekend after my car arrives around may/june...
Old 01-20-2006, 01:31 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad GTP
The current limitation is that the wires need to be soldered. We're working on that now, but honestly, it's not that big of a deal to solder six wires. Longer term, the limitation is that fuel injectors larger than the 42 pounders can't be used with a MAF Translator and a stock PCM. But this same limitation will exist in GM's PCM code too. We'll need to crack into the PCM code at some point, and we're also working on this...

Happy New Year everyone!

Scott
Yeah I agree, soldering isn't tough to do with the right tools.

As for spotting the mod, if you take it to the dealer the tech is going to be like oh man an SS/SC (rare car) and give it the once over seeing what you have done. I am not saying they are looking for mods specific to deny warrenty, but just cause they are car guys too and they are interested in knowing what you have done...
Old 01-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Squeeks
I have 1 quick question...If all i put on is the Stage 3 kit...it will give me 270 horses with just the kit correct??? because i am really really considering driving to you guys in Ohio and having it done ASAP the weekend after my car arrives around may/june...
The 06 we developed the kit on was stock except for a removed cat. Similar cars with our kit on the dyno were in the 265-268 range.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Former Vendor

As of monday, all kit orders will ship with the maf connectors making it plug and play.

Tim
Old 01-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Highhp
As of monday, all kit orders will ship with the maf connectors making it plug and play.

Tim
NICE...thats all i need..thanks i will be buying that kit when my car arrives
Old 01-21-2006, 01:16 AM

Is it only the MAF, that is plug and play, or are the injectors also getting the plug adapters?
Old 01-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor

We are still working on the injector clips at this time.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:19 AM

how do you adjust the maf
Old 01-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SS4LIfe
how do you adjust the maf
There are dials inside the box to allow you to add or take away percentages of fueling to help dial in the fueling. Pretty easy and comes with all the instructions and charts as well as being pre-set to our recommended settings.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:29 PM

Can you guys told us roughly how many percentage of the MAF signal you remove with these settings ?

SW1 = On
SW2 = Off
SW3 = Off
SW4 = Off
MAF BASE = C
MAF WOT = 1