INTENSE-Racing.com Intense Racing is a proud Supporting Vendor

The OFFICIAL Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge Problem Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got an email from todd today tht is as follows:

Jeremy,

If you haven't already, please send you gauge back ASAP. I'll refund whatever shipping costs you incure. I need to get as many of these back as possible to trouble shoot this issue. Thanks.

Todd
Aeroforce

I will be sending mine back tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:27 PM

wow seems as if i should wait a bit longer till i order mine..
Old 06-20-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by memphisr24
My cobalt is an 05 and i'm having problems with it. The lcd screen is not blown, it works SOMETIMES. It just worked today. As soon as I turned the car on a second time today though, it did not work. I don't know what could possibly be wrong, unless the wire that we are wiring it too is not a good/correct wire to be hooking it up to.
When it doesn't come on, have you tried pulling the connector off of the OBD2 port and plugging it back in? This will make the gauge poll the car for parameters, kind of like resetting it. I'm not saying this is a solution, it shouldn't need to be reset. I'm just trying to understand what is happening. Do you have the shift lights and do they still function when the display is off?

If you haven't already, contact me at sales@aeroforcetech.com and I'll give you return shipping info. I want to check out as many of these as possible ASAP.

Todd
Old 06-20-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by forcefedjunkie
When it doesn't come on, have you tried pulling the connector off of the OBD2 port and plugging it back in? This will make the gauge poll the car for parameters, kind of like resetting it. I'm not saying this is a solution, it shouldn't need to be reset. I'm just trying to understand what is happening. Do you have the shift lights and do they still function when the display is off?

If you haven't already, contact me at sales@aeroforcetech.com and I'll give you return shipping info. I want to check out as many of these as possible ASAP.

Todd
Ive tried pulling it from both the back of the unit and from the ODB port. It doesnt fix it. The screen randomly decides when to work and when to not. I tried changing the Data rate, invert the screen, change the dimmer and nothing seems to get it to work like it should. Now whats funny is for the first 2 weeks it worked PERFECTLY no problems at all. This is a recent development.

Sometimes Ill be driving and it wont be working, and then all of a sudden the screen will just start working out of no where. IM pretty confident the unit is working behind the LCD, you just cant see the data.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got mine about two weeks ago and it just stopped working today. The screen lights up blue, and the shift lights work, and nothing else works. This sucks. I'm pissed.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:26 PM

read this thred and you know what to do....

contact "aerforce" via e-mail...there sales guy Todd will take care of you

he's done an awesome job with mine so far
Old 06-25-2006, 02:44 PM

email sent last night to sales@aeroforce.com Now i wait
Old 06-26-2006, 11:14 AM

Damn looks like I'm going to have to wait to get this.
I have an early model 05 Todd do you think I'll have the same problems?

my other question is I want to use it to read my air feul ratios as well, so I guess I have to buy an O2 sensor, is there a specific one I have to buy or any recomended ones?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by player_1
Damn looks like I'm going to have to wait to get this.
I have an early model 05 Todd do you think I'll have the same problems?

my other question is I want to use it to read my air feul ratios as well, so I guess I have to buy an O2 sensor, is there a specific one I have to buy or any recomended ones?
You want a wideband O2 sensor.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:27 AM

yah but aren't there multiple options for the Wide band? I've seen some, that come with the Gauge, 400+ dollars, I won't need the gauge if I had this Aeroforce gauge, so where, can I buy just the Wide band O2 sensor?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:32 PM

bump
Old 06-27-2006, 02:34 PM

Again, sorry to hear about the problems with the Cobalts. Whether it's an '05 or '06 I'd recommend waiting a couple more weeks until we have a solid solution. We've already sent one out to a forum member here with one possible solution. Another is going out tomorrow. We're even thinking about buying a Cobalt to have full time to research this. The Cobalt/Redlines are the best application for these gauges of all the GM cars, there's no way I'm going to let this go unresolved.

As for the wide band kits...

Initially I was recommending the LC-1 by Innovate. It comes with just the sensor and controller for $199. I bought one and returned it. There are issues with the analog outputs of this unit going bad, mine lasted 2 hours. There is an LC-1 forum on the Innovate site addressing this. Also, you need to calibrate the sensor yourself, which is not difficult, but it must be repeated every so often which could be a pain for some people (you have to pull the sensor out of the exhaust and expose it to free air for the calibration). Finally, with no feedback as to the units accuracy, I was unable to feel confident that the unit calibrated properly.

I now am using an AEM unit which I got from www.rpmoutlet.com for $279. It comes calibrated with a display that also acts as the controller. It is very easy to use and install. I've had one on one of my cars for 2 years now with no issues. You're paying $80 more but there are no analog output worries, no calibration issues, and you have a display to check the accuracy of the analog outs which you would connect to our gauge. Once I connected everything and verified that I was reading the correct A/F ratio on my Interceptor gauge, I tucked the AEM display/controller behind the dash.

Todd
Aeroforce
Old 06-27-2006, 02:42 PM

I think I solved my problem with the gauge. Apparantely these gauges don't like ANY heat at all when they are turned off. I'm talking about even if it lays in the sun for 30 seconds while turned off. Now, I tested the heat problem with my brand new pair of boxer shorts. YES BOXER SHORTS lol. Bought them from aeropostale. Anyway, I covered the gauge with the boxers when I went to my gf's house. It was about 75-80 degrees out. I didn't think it would do anything. However, when I came back out to my car, started it up, the startup screen did not come up but the gauge did start working after a minute. I've been covering my gauge ever since and it doesn't work right away, but it does work after a couple of minutes. So I think that my gauge is very sensitive to the sunlight and it has to be protected all the time from the sun. It must be a vampire or something. Only works in the night muwahahahaha
Old 06-27-2006, 03:06 PM

thanks for the info Todd, I guess I'll try to find the best price I can on a wide band that I can.

I was really hopeing that I would be able to buy just a sensor, and not the controller, to save some money.
guess not.

unless you guys are planning on making something. HINT HINT NUDGE NUDGE, would sell for sure.lol
Old 06-27-2006, 05:34 PM

I have been waiting almost a month for this Gauge I'm not going to lie and say I'm not a lil pissed. but I look at it this way If the problems are worked out before I get mine and everything is peachee. I will be the happiest **** well untill I get a tune done
Old 06-27-2006, 11:21 PM

Hey Todd

have you ever used the PLX m-300 or M-200?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by player_1
Hey Todd

have you ever used the PLX m-300 or M-200?
No, but if they have 0-5v linear analog outs (this is the standard) they will work fine. The only unit that I know of that does not have a linear out is the Zietronix. It has a very user unfriendly output that requires a curve fit.

Todd
Old 06-28-2006, 02:31 PM

do you know if there is a fix for the LC-1?
Old 07-03-2006, 04:29 PM

Update: We've got 2 gauges in use with added voltage protection, and so far so good. I read above about the heat issue, and this should not be an issue. The displays are rated for 152 deg F continuous use. We do recommend not letting them bake in an Arizona parking lot for hours but at worse they should look washed out until they cool off a bit. Again, this is not an issue we are seeing on other cars. I think Bryan's is working fine so far even when subjected to the hot sun. Anyway, were on track here to get this figured out.

Todd
Old 07-03-2006, 04:31 PM

Awesome, excited to get this gauge.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:32 PM

yes sir!!!...

so far shes turning on just fine and its suvived 2hot and muggy days in the direct sun while the car sits in the lot at work.

its out lasted my first unit so i think you've got a handle of this problum.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the updates Todd and 06black. Todd, what are your best estimates for getting the replacment gauges out to those requiring them? Also, will the 180 day guarantee be in effect with the replacement gauges or will they will retroactive to the original purchase dates?

Thanks, Ang
Old 07-03-2006, 05:37 PM

Don't Forget about the ones that are still waiting to get there first one....
Old 07-03-2006, 05:43 PM

good to hear the progress....i sent mine back in on like 6/28... hope to get it back soon
Old 07-04-2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by rollingboostedss
Don't Forget about the ones that are still waiting to get there first one....

Yah what he said.

I was ready to buy it thursday with all the other stuff, I bought.

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge Problem Thread