Old 12-07-2006, 03:33 PM
JBP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBP 2.0L LSJ Triflow Camshafts GB - Tech Thread

Post your technical questions here!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cam specs for your stage 2 cams? Do you offer a stage 3, or are your stage 2's good enough for 11's in the 1/4 mile? Thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 05:29 PM

Dyno Charts, Gains?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:55 PM
JBP
Banned

- Dyno's are on the part description available by clicking the link in the GB thread. Please note that even though there was only a 15.3WHP difference gain, this was during the time HPTuners was non-existent. We forsee better results with the advent of HPtuners and cam tuning. (You will run richer with these cams, therefore tuning is a must!)

- Our TriFlow mode specs are released for the first time! Please note that our TriFlow Technology contains a primary and secondary intake lobe profile. Revolutionary first in camshaft technology.

PRIMARY INTAKE
ADV
264* 418L
@.050
209*

SECONDARY INTAKE
ADV
256* 417L
@.050
202*

PRIMARY EXHAUST
ADV
256* 417L
@.050
202*
Old 12-07-2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBP
- Dyno's are on the part description available by clicking the link in the GB thread. Please note that even though there was only a 15.3WHP difference gain, this was during the time HPTuners was non-existent. We forsee better results with the advent of HPtuners and cam tuning. (You will run richer with these cams, therefore tuning is a must!)

- Our TriFlow mode specs are released for the first time! Please note that our TriFlow Technology contains a primary and secondary intake lobe profile. Revolutionary first in camshaft technology.

PRIMARY INTAKE
ADV
264* 418L
@.050
209*

SECONDARY INTAKE
ADV
256* 417L
@.050
202*

PRIMARY EXHAUST
ADV
256* 417L
@.050
202*
Thank you! Will you be offering a stage 3? If someone wanted to run 11's with their lsj (keeping a supercharger as the power adder), will these cams be aggressive enough?
What is the power band and recommended shift point with these cams? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:03 PM
JBP
Banned

Originally Posted by Bad06SS
Thank you! Will you be offering a stage 3? If someone wanted to run 11's with their lsj (keeping a supercharger as the power adder), will these cams be aggressive enough?
What is the power band and recommended shift point with these cams? Thanks!
A stage 3 camshaft is not available nor in development.

The camshafts are as aggressive as possible without having the stock ECU completely reject the camshaft profile.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:18 PM
JBP
Banned

My motor is stock internals with GMS2.

What kind of gain will I obtain?
This is a extremely difficult to answer without leading you towards false promises. From my experience with the camshafts that we've sold to date and the customer feedback, the majority of gains are only reportedly from a pure STOCK SS/SC application. The gains ranged from 11.2WHP to 15.3WHP being the max. A gain from a Stage 2 perspective would be a total guess, which I am not inclined to do.

What HP will these cams be good for future developement of my motor?
Absolutely. They are a compounding modificaiton that can only benefit two-fold from additional modifications that involve air transition and efficiency. Our cams, on a stock LSJ, increase boost pressure from 12psi to 14-15psi. In some cases all the way up to 17-18psi. This is due to our TriFlow technology. No boost by-pass, all camshaft. It's truly remarkable.

Do valve springs need to be changed to ensure there is no binding?
Valve springs do NOT need to be changed for our Stage 2 profile pending the STOCK rev limiter is maintained. Stage 2 modifications AND any revolution limiter modifcations past stock we strongly recommend changing valve springs. Think about this: You are tearing into the engine to change camshafts, you should be judging whether or not you would need to change valve springs at this point in time vs. performing the work again. Remember, we sell AND rent the tools required to do this in your driveway (only if you know 150% what you're doing or have someone who is 170% capable (as we don't supply instructions)). (but we STRONGLY recommend you take it to the dealer/performance shop)

Are these cams the same grind as victory_red_SS?
No. His cams are an entirely different can of worms. His will not work with the stock ECM, In case you were wondering, these specs are not released and the camshafts are not available for purchase.

How quickly do you need my stock cams back?
Stock cams to be returned are to be returned at least 30 days from point of shipping of your JBP Triflow cams. This helps keep core stock up.

Thankyou.
You're Welcome!!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBP

PRIMARY INTAKE
ADV
264* 418L
@.050
209*

SECONDARY INTAKE
ADV
256* 417L
@.050
202*

PRIMARY EXHAUST
ADV
256* 417L
@.050
202*
Dude I searched everywhere and I dont see those charts...maybe I'm blind lol
Old 12-07-2006, 11:38 PM
JBP
Banned

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
Are you just regrinding the stock cams? If so how are you increasing the lift and/or duration? I know you have been holding back on releasing your cam specs, but what are you actually doing with these? I'm not trying to attack or bash your product, I just want to know what people are paying for and where the power gains are intended to be.
We gave customers two options. We are going to offer both a stock camshaft regrind OR a grind from brand new billets ($220CDN) option.

With regards to our hydraulic roller setup, the principal behind increasing lift with a regrind is such that the removal of material from the base circle of the camshaft increases lift on the peak of the lobe.

With a regrind, limitations of profiling are imposed and we don't want to promote premature lifter wear, so our grind is both conservative for the ECM and Valvetrain. However, in contrast its essentially the best application for a stock ECM.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBP
Absolutely. They are a compounding modificaiton that can only benefit two-fold from additional modifications that involve air transition and efficiency. Our cams, on a stock LSJ, increase boost pressure from 12psi to 14-15psi. In some cases all the way up to 17-18psi. This is due to our TriFlow technology. No boost by-pass, all camshaft. It's truly remarkable.
Thanks for your help so far, however I'm a little confused. You don't want your cam to "increase" boost. Atleast in the w-body world, you do a cam to open up flow, and help move more air through the motor. My goal would be to actually "lose" boost, meaning I see less boost after the cams. To make power you need to move air. If boost pressure increases, that means that I would be at ~24+psi after your cams! Am I just misunderstanding?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:40 PM
JBP
Banned

Originally Posted by djt81185
Dude I searched everywhere and I dont see those charts...maybe I'm blind lol
You are not blind. Apparently they've been removed by Irfan (our webmaster). I'll see that he posts them up again under the product description of our website.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:47 PM
JBP
Banned

Thanks for your help so far, however I'm a little confused. You don't want your cam to "increase" boost. Atleast in the w-body world, you do a cam to open up flow, and help move more air through the motor. My goal would be to actually "lose" boost, meaning I see less boost after the cams. To make power you need to move air. If boost pressure increases, that means that I would be at ~24+psi after your cams! Am I just misunderstanding?
First, Consider all things relative. The cars that experience an increase in boost are completely stock. The phenomenon of boost increase from the camshaft is due to our TriFlow technology, not a pressure vessel. Cars that are modified, ever so slightly, with exhaust modifcations, should experience the reverse effect of boost increase. Since less boost does not necessarily translate into less power, but more efficiency. It's a relative balance between the two.

Continuing, for your LSJ to hit 24psi with just cams, would require either a severe restriction or a by-pass mod. It just isn't going to happen. However, I do agree with your statement, "To make power, you need to move air" truer words could never have been spoken, as thats the secret to TriFlow...

I'd just like to say, that Geoff (Colt Cams) and us (JBP) have poured a ton of money into TriFlow for the ECOTECs and we're standing behind our work. Customers who put these camshafts into their LSJ are going to **** their pants at the difference.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:51 PM

Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like they're going to do exactly what I want. What's the recommended shift points to take full advantage of the power band? Actually, what is the power band. Thanks again, I know I'm being a pain. Don't worry, I'll be going to bed soon,lol.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:55 PM
JBP
Banned

Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like they're going to do exactly what I want. What's the recommended shift points to take full advantage of the power band? Actually, what is the power band. Thanks again, I know I'm being a pain. Don't worry, I'll be going to bed soon,lol.
Same here, I'm looking forward to bedtime.

When the dyno's are back up... You'll see another TriFlow benefit. No narrow powerband!

Our LSJ Stage 2 TriFlows start gaining from 2000RPM. Absolutely Remarkable. Back in the initial testing days, I installed and drove player_1's stock SS/SC with just cams, and the difference is just revolutionary.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBP
Same here, I'm looking forward to bedtime.

When the dyno's are back up... You'll see another TriFlow benefit. No narrow powerband!

Our LSJ Stage 2 TriFlows start gaining from 2000RPM. Absolutely Remarkable. Back in the initial testing days, I installed and drove player_1's stock SS/SC with just cams, and the difference is just revolutionary.

I can't wait. I just don't want to have to rev to 7800rpms to take advantage of the power. It's alot less stressful on the valvetrain if you can shift at ~7200rpms. Take care.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:41 AM

I plan on keeping my stock cams for if I decide to part out at a later date or for some reason have to return the car to stock is there any difference in the product im sold if its ground from stock cams or from blanks?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Banned

where are the dyno's?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:48 AM
MVP

So i have 10.0 : 1 pistons, a fully ported and polished head and ferrea valve springs with titanium locks (stock valves), 2.6 pulley, SMS throttle big bore body, ported supercharger, full thermal 2 1/2 thermal R&D exhaust, 60lb fuel injectors and HP tuners

can I get these befor christmass and i want to get some blanks and have youyr stage II grindd put on them but it looks like most of these guys want to wait till after Xmass so does that mean i have to wait or what? also where can I get some blanks at for the LSJ i dont want to give up my stock cams.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:00 AM

With the addition of these cams into my modification list (in my sig.), how important or necessary do you think it would be to upgrade my stock internals? I am already making 271 WHP and 260 WTQ (w/out the SnowPerformance Kit) and about 19.5 lbs of boost (which sounds like would decrease a little with these cams?). I'm not sure if I would be ready to have to financially tackle having to replace the internals. Any help and input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:19 PM
JBP
Banned

Originally Posted by MVP
can I get these befor christmass and i want to get some blanks and have youyr stage II grindd put on them but it looks like most of these guys want to wait till after Xmass so does that mean i have to wait or what? also where can I get some blanks at for the LSJ i dont want to give up my stock cams.
Yes, no problem, you can get them before Christmas. You'd have to pay full price and get refunded the difference after the GB is over depending on the number of customers on the GB at the end.

With the addition of these cams into my modification list (in my sig.), how important or necessary do you think it would be to upgrade my stock internals? I am already making 271 WHP and 260 WTQ (w/out the SnowPerformance Kit) and about 19.5 lbs of boost (which sounds like would decrease a little with these cams?). I'm not sure if I would be ready to have to financially tackle having to replace the internals. Any help and input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
With your camshafts modifications it would not be necessary to upgrade your bottom end, however, you might be interested in valvetrain mods. We are coming out with Roller tipped rocker arms shortly, so these items might be a worthwhile investment.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:12 PM
MVP

Originally Posted by JBP
Yes, no problem, you can get them before Christmas. You'd have to pay full price and get refunded the difference after the GB is over depending on the number of customers on the GB at the end.

With your camshafts modifications it would not be necessary to upgrade your bottom end, however, you might be interested in valvetrain mods. We are coming out with Roller tipped rocker arms shortly, so these items might be a worthwhile investment.
I just have another quick question for you. if your starting with stock cams and no blanks that already have a grind on them then how are you getting more lift and duration over the factory cam specs? Are you adding a higher rocker ratio or are you welding the cams up? Whats going on? Are you are reducing duration and overlap? wouldnt that basically be just be a trade off in how the powerband looks? It would probably net you some higher boost numbers to show off. we can have all the boost we want but if theres no flow to go with that boost then were not getting our full power potental are we?

am i confused or does anyone understand what im trying to say.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by MVP
I just have another quick question for you. if your starting with stock cams and no blanks that already have a grind on them then how are you getting more lift and duration over the factory cam specs? Are you adding a higher rocker ratio or are you welding the cams up? Whats going on? Are you are reducing duration and overlap? wouldnt that basically be just be a trade off in how the powerband looks? It would probably net you some higher boost numbers to show off. we can have all the boost we want but if theres no flow to go with that boost then were not getting our full power potental are we?

am i confused or does anyone understand what im trying to say.
I am really curious about this as well.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:59 PM

So with these cams would we still make peak around 6700-7000? If we have to rev to 7500+ to reach peak power, we will have to go to a larger sc pulley in order to avoid severly over spinning the blower.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
So with these cams would we still make peak around 6700-7000? If we have to rev to 7500+ to reach peak power, we will have to go to a larger sc pulley in order to avoid severly over spinning the blower.
if you tune and raise your rev limitator you might want to consider valve springs to accomadate this rev raising in order to cut down the chances of floating a valve
Old 12-08-2006, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the response JBP. So the stock internals should be good then with this performance increase and what already has been done to the car. I'll keep an eye on this thread and the other one with the list and I'll should be good to go after the holidays. How long into the new year do you think this GB will go? Also, how much are the valve springs?

Quick Reply: JBP 2.0L LSJ Triflow Camshafts GB - Tech Thread