JBP 2.0L LSJ Triflow Camshafts GB - Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so anything past the 400hp range would need a custom grind?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:59 AM

There will be an increase in boost. You will peg the stock boost ctrl solenoid with these cams, so there will be an increase in overall flow through the engine. 3.0" inch would be ideal as well as to support future mods
As of now I am running the 2.79" pulley with the Injen CAI, your JBP heat shield, and one-step colder plugs..I know my injectors duty cycle is pushin hard, which is why I have been babyin her..

On to my questions..With buying your cam, retainer springs, pickin up some 60's an a tune, is there anything else that I will need for my car to be a reliable daily driver?? I am not going to be raising the limiter above maybe 7200rpm's at a max..I plan on doing exhaust also, but figured this deal is too good to pass up so it will have to wait, is there an exhaust size that you would recommend also?? I planned on going with 2.5" but if 3" would complement this setup better, then I could go that route. Thanks for the GB as well as the Tech info.

Oh yes, I also have an 07..Will that make a difference??

Last edited by 1gmfanatik; 01-15-2007 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-15-2007, 07:58 AM

You shouldn't need anything else other than what you have and have planned. The exhaust would definalty be a nice compliment, I'm not sure on which size would be best, maybe someone else here can chime in. And you year model should have no effect.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the same post you quoted, JBP replied to my question about exhaust with almost the same setup. You will want a 3" exhaust with this setup. Also, with the 2.79" pulley I would recommend getting 60lbs injectors before you get tuned. It will be a more reliable daily driver with those mods seeing as you would definately give the stage 2 injectors a workout with these cams and that pulley. Just scroll up on this page and you'll see what my plans are. Sounds like you and I have the same idea... Good luck!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:32 AM

Oh yeah, I plan on gettin the 60's..Gonna have to put em on hold for now though cause I REALLY want to get in on this GB
Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 AM

Heres another question, actually two..By going with this setup, will I need to pick up the Cometic Head gasket?? Would I need to get some ARP head studs?? I want to make sure that I pick up EVERYTHING that I will need for this.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:54 AM

Those shouldn't be necessary because they wouldn't be removed in this installation. Those should be mandatory pick ups if you get the Diamond Pistons though...
Old 01-17-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so whats the deal with those graphs

Also has anyone seen the Came gear holding tool?

Does anyone know how well something like this will work?

Last edited by NGalaxyTimmyo; 01-17-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-18-2007, 03:36 PM

So bump for wondering where that dyno graph is
Old 01-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Hmmm... Looks like I should get the Valve Springs. Any idea how these will effect Injector Duty Cycle? I know I am already cutting it close with the 2.79" pulley. I'm guessing I will probably need to switch back to the Stage 2 pulley. I can't afford to screw anything up.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:58 AM

I plan on getting the valve springs, not sure about the answer to the injector duty cycle question though. I am running the 2.79 on 42' and I know I'm pushing it, but also plan on getting the 60's..Precautionary reasons as well as for future leaway..
Old 01-19-2007, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by NGalaxyTimmyo
so whats the deal with those graphs

Also has anyone seen the Came gear holding tool?

Does anyone know how well something like this will work?
The cam gear holding toll works well. I have the GM one and JBP looks just like the GM one. Makes cam changes extremely easy. The tool bolts to the gears and then you can basically unbolt the cams and pull them out and slide the new ones in. Theres a little more to it than that but thats the short of it. I would recommend to most if not all changing cams to rent that tool from them. It will save lots of headaches.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by DWK5150
The cam gear holding toll works well. I have the GM one and JBP looks just like the GM one. Makes cam changes extremely easy. The tool bolts to the gears and then you can basically unbolt the cams and pull them out and slide the new ones in. Theres a little more to it than that but thats the short of it. I would recommend to most if not all changing cams to rent that tool from them. It will save lots of headaches.
Looks like I might be getting that as well then.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

JBP, can I get you guys to give me an answer to this previous question.

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Any idea how these cams will affect Injector Duty Cycle? I know I am already cutting it close with the 2.79" pulley. I'm guessing I will probably need to switch back to the Stage 2 pulley. I can't afford to screw anything up.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:36 PM

wow this is quite the group buy you guys got goin,congrats on the cheaper price.granted I've had my share of issues concerning my cams and the 2.4 cam thread,you 2.0 guys have taken the intiative to get your group buy going...the 2.4 guys just sittin unorganised whining and complaining
Old 01-24-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by g5mike
wow this is quite the group buy you guys got goin,congrats on the cheaper price.granted I've had my share of issues concerning my cams and the 2.4 cam thread,you 2.0 guys have taken the intiative to get your group buy going...the 2.4 guys just sittin unorganised whining and complaining
Yea were trying . It wasn't too hard to get people to join, mainly there were just a lot of questions to be answered about pricing, which option was best, # of people, performance gain estimates, and what other supporting mods were needed.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by DTM2188
Yea were trying . It wasn't too hard to get people to join, mainly there were just a lot of questions to be answered about pricing, which option was best, # of people, performance gain estimates, and what other supporting mods were needed.
Sweet is there a dynograph? or a buttdyno about the gains from any members who already has the 2.0 cams????????????
Old 01-24-2007, 07:56 PM

None of us have gotten the cams yet, but I think that either myself or Edubs will be the first to dyno with them (I will know on Feb. 10th!). In a previous e-mail that I sent to JBP last summer, they had stated estimates of 15whp untuned and 25whp tuned I believe. But don't hold me to that, the only way that we will know is from an actual dyno. I can't wait! I'll be sure to post up the results from it. How are you making out with getting your car on the dyno? I think if I remember correctly, you haven't been able to get tuned or something?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

STILL LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER! How will these Cams affect IDC's???
Old 01-24-2007, 08:05 PM

I have to schedule my appt with my dealer to get the cams installed still. I should be getting them installed around the same time as you. I won't have them tuned for some time though. I want to have my custom full exhaust from the engine back built and get 60lbs'ers so I can instal my 2.79" before I have it tuned. It's going to be a gas hog until I get them tuned, but I can live with that for the price that we'll be paying. I can't wait to get them either!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by DTM2188
None of us have gotten the cams yet, but I think that either myself or Edubs will be the first to dyno with them (I will know on Feb. 10th!). In a previous e-mail that I sent to JBP last summer, they had stated estimates of 15whp untuned and 25whp tuned I believe. But don't hold me to that, the only way that we will know is from an actual dyno. I can't wait! I'll be sure to post up the results from it. How are you making out with getting your car on the dyno? I think if I remember correctly, you haven't been able to get tuned or something?
I,m going to Victoryredss place again,he thinks the norton antivirus stopped the windows from popping up and movin furter along in its application.once were in im definetly getting this done ASAP
Old 01-24-2007, 08:09 PM

I would assume that the IDC's are going to go up. But no one will be able to verify that until they can log with HPT. These cams will make the car run more rich so I'm going to assume that the injectors are going to be working harder earlier. Definately worth investing in 60lbs injectors if you're running smaller than a 2.9" pulley on GM Stage 2 injectors.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Edubs
I would assume that the IDC's are going to go up. But no one will be able to verify that until they can log with HPT. These cams will make the car run more rich so I'm going to assume that the injectors are going to be working harder earlier. Definately worth investing in 60lbs injectors if you're running smaller than a 2.9" pulley on GM Stage 2 injectors.
they definetly make them run more rich, at least that was shown on my 2.4
Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 PM

That I'm not sure about, sorry man. JBP can we get an answer for this? Or does anyone else know?

Originally Posted by Edubs
I have to schedule my appt with my dealer to get the cams installed still. I should be getting them installed around the same time as you. I won't have them tuned for some time though. I want to have my custom full exhaust from the engine back built and get 60lbs'ers so I can instal my 2.79" before I have it tuned. It's going to be a gas hog until I get them tuned, but I can live with that for the price that we'll be paying. I can't wait to get them either!
Thats very true, its well worth it. Thats going to be a nice set-up that you'll be running. You'll be seeing a nice large gain in performance at one time with getting all that work done. I'm getting the cams, Cobra H/E, and the water/meth kit all done at the same time, so I'm extra excited . Hopefully I can get before and after dyno numbers for just the cams, I think I should be able to.

I,m going to Victoryredss place again,he thinks the norton antivirus stopped the windows from popping up and movin furter along in its application.once were in im definetly getting this done ASAP
Oh I see, that sucks man. But atleast you have an idea of what the problem may be. I'm still keeping an eye out for your results .
Old 01-30-2007, 11:50 AM

they definetly make them run more rich, at least that was shown on my 2.4
Mike,

From the point of installation on, how did your car handle the cams w/o a tune. Are you just tuning it because you want to gain the most power from the cams, or because you need to tune them for it to run well?

I know we're running complete different applications, but the only thing that makes me nervous is running these cams for quite some time without tuning them. I'd assume from what JBP has said, that I will still see good gains with the cams untuned. I just won't get the full potential gain until I tune and get the AFR right throughout the band.

Quick Reply: JBP 2.0L LSJ Triflow Camshafts GB - Tech Thread