Mid East MI, IN, OH, KY, WV, and VA

Northern Virginia Ecotecs: Winter Dyno Day

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm more than willing to make a trip up there when my car is ready. We'll see what the results would be between a shop car and a bad-ass daily driver built by two.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Get it ready then!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Soon my friend. There's no need to rush. When it's done, it'll be special and done the right way.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 AM

I think Joe told me that you cracked the original block. What happened exactly?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:49 AM

I don't know if you are familiar with someone from my area named cobeezy on the site, but I left my car in his care to do some modifying for me while I was on deployment back in '08. He ran my car into the ground and ended up busting the ring lands for my pistons in cyl. 1 and 2. The jbody header was on the car when this happened, and was causing absurd amounts of kr. He acted like nothing was wrong when he was beating the **** out of my car. I had the block reworked, and bought diamond pistons as replacements. There was a lot of shotty work done when my car was put back together, because he had no idea of what he was doing.

Fast forward to June of '09, when I started experimenting with different headers to see which combination would be best for me. I had a number if issues, but it mostly stemmed from the jbody header. I ran with the stock header and a 3" dp, and made north of 300. I swapped to the jbody header, and immediately noticed the car wasn't happy with it. The dyno proved the same, noting a 50+ hp loss. We then looked further in to see what the issue was with the timing, and everytime I got into it, it was pulling 8 degrees across the board. That's the maximum amount the pcm will pull at one time. Even after subtracting 8 degrees, we still saw the kr tables maxed out. My end timing advance was around 9 degrees at the top. After making everything happy with the car, it made 3 more hp than the last time.

I also had an issue with my meth pump shorting out on me, pumping damn near my whole tank into my intake manifold. By the time I got to the vibrant setup I was using, the car was beaten up pretty bad, but still running strong, or so I thought. We saw the potential in the header/dp combo, and the timing it would safely allow. I only did two runs with the header on the dyno, and we noticed something weird with the car after the second run. Long story short, the cylinder actually cracked on that run, and eight days later the cylinder cracked in three places. In addition to that, it was severe enough to render the block unusuable.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Deathscythe
I don't know if you are familiar with someone from my area named cobeezy on the site, but I left my car in his care to do some modifying for me while I was on deployment back in '08. He ran my car into the ground and ended up busting the ring lands for my pistons in cyl. 1 and 2. The jbody header was on the car when this happened, and was causing absurd amounts of kr. He acted like nothing was wrong when he was beating the **** out of my car. I had the block reworked, and bought diamond pistons as replacements. There was a lot of shotty work done when my car was put back together, because he had no idea of what he was doing.

Fast forward to June of '09, when I started experimenting with different headers to see which combination would be best for me. I had a number if issues, but it mostly stemmed from the jbody header. I ran with the stock header and a 3" dp, and made north of 300. I swapped to the jbody header, and immediately noticed the car wasn't happy with it. The dyno proved the same, noting a 50+ hp loss. We then looked further in to see what the issue was with the timing, and everytime I got into it, it was pulling 8 degrees across the board. That's the maximum amount the pcm will pull at one time. Even after subtracting 8 degrees, we still saw the kr tables maxed out. My end timing advance was around 9 degrees at the top. After making everything happy with the car, it made 3 more hp than the last time.

I also had an issue with my meth pump shorting out on me, pumping damn near my whole tank into my intake manifold. By the time I got to the vibrant setup I was using, the car was beaten up pretty bad, but still running strong, or so I thought. We saw the potential in the header/dp combo, and the timing it would safely allow. I only did two runs with the header on the dyno, and we noticed something weird with the car after the second run. Long story short, the cylinder actually cracked on that run, and eight days later the cylinder cracked in three places. In addition to that, it was severe enough to render the block unusuable.
That is rough man...getting her back together?

And put me on the list for coming down. Not 100% sure about the dyno yet. But more than likely yes for it too
Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM

It's in the process now. I go to the dealership soon to get the parts I need for the engine. things should be weel underway by the end of the month.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:14 PM

That's such a damn shame to hear man
Old 02-08-2010, 05:18 PM

It does, but it can be fixed. So I'm not worried.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 AM

Nothing like a good short story with the a.m. coffee!! And, that was the short version, too.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Well here is Storm #3..
Old 02-10-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey buddy i'm dyno-ing...Add me to the list...U shoulda done that a while ago lol...
Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by SunburstSS
Hey buddy i'm dyno-ing...Add me to the list...U shoulda done that a while ago lol...
Done. It's hard to manage all of these names and remember whose doing what.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Guys I really hope to make it out to this but this last snow and wind made a tree limb fall on my balt :-(
The passenger side fender and hood took a pretty good smack. Maybe it will be fixed by the 27th? I'm hoping...
Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 PM

I hope you can come down. It should be a good time.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by HellbillySS
Guys I really hope to make it out to this but this last snow and wind made a tree limb fall on my balt :-(
The passenger side fender and hood took a pretty good smack. Maybe it will be fixed by the 27th? I'm hoping...
I'm so sorry to hear that!! I recently had a large tree fall onto my house and for the most part our Branco broke its fall. Hopefully we can see you out there!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:17 AM

Ill be puttin on the exhaust this weekend if i can get my car out the snow then hopefully by next weekend ill be ready for the tune
Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ChillenGillon
Ill be puttin on the exhaust this weekend if i can get my car out the snow then hopefully by next weekend ill be ready for the tune
In all honesty with the way the roads are you won't be able to be tuned until after the dyno day
Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 PM

well i hope the roads will be all clear by then
Old 02-12-2010, 02:05 PM

The roads aren't an issue here. What little snow we got the other day also melted the same day.

Btw, as I said a few months ago, I have space for people to stay at my house. Here is the problems, which shouldn't be that big of a deal when you come down. 1) My wife works that weekend. She'll be up at ~4.30 and out the door around 5am. She'll have to pass through the livingroom to leave. 2) I work 8-2 that day. I tried to get it off, but I can't. If you guys are meeting at 8am, you would likely be out of the house before me. I can help by giving directions, or loan a GPS. Maybe one of the guys from the other side of the water may stop by and lead you guys to the shop. I will meet up with everybody at the shop after I get off work.

Now, for the good news. Our new couch just arrived today. It is a 7 seater sectional with a full size sofa sleeper. With the bed pulled out, this thing will handle 3-4 people sleeping on it. I say 4 because if somebody brings their girl they will more likely get the sofa while 1 is on the chaise and another sleeps on the short end of the sectional. We also have a seperate full bath for anybody that stays at my house. If more than 4 want to stay at my house those that come over will argue over who sleeps on the floor and who sleeps on the sectional. I suspect most of you will be driving by house on the way to the hotel. You guys are more than welcome to stop by Friday night if you want. Nobody will be home until 5.45pm. Anthony (mindrot) has my cell number and can keep in contact with me via text or call. I live right off 664 right after you come through the Monitor Merrimac Bridge and Tunnel (MMBT). From my house it is another 20 minutes to the shop and hotel, mostly freeway. If anybody is sitting on the fence about coming down for this because of cost, I suggest taking me up on my offer. Send me a PM. It'll help not having to pay for a hotel.

If anybody wants to do a BBQ, again I offer my house. Plenty of parking, plenty of space, large enough grill, and easy to find. It will be a BYOB, but don't worry about bringing the food and how to keep it cold. I do have a grocery store nearby. Or, if anybody wants the best stuffed pizza in town, that's right next to the grocery store. The place has been voted Best of Chesapeake the last 3 years. SRodSS007 will back me up when I say that the pizza is the best around.

I look forward to meeting you guys in 2 weeks. See you soon.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 PM

Thanks, Connor. I sent everyone a txt about you offer and I will forward whoever your cell number incase their tight on money. I for one wanted a hotel room with my girlfriend for you know what reasons. We'll be in Virginia Beach by 10pm or later. Going home on Sunday. A BBQ sounds like a great idea assuming you can cram everyone onto your road lol
Old 02-13-2010, 09:38 AM

It's going to be good fun in a few weeks.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:03 PM

bump
Old 02-14-2010, 11:19 PM

bump
Old 02-15-2010, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mindrot
Thanks, Connor. I sent everyone a txt about you offer and I will forward whoever your cell number incase their tight on money. I for one wanted a hotel room with my girlfriend for you know what reasons. We'll be in Virginia Beach by 10pm or later. Going home on Sunday. A BBQ sounds like a great idea assuming you can cram everyone onto your road lol
The road in front of my house will have no problems taking everybody.

Quick Reply: Northern Virginia Ecotecs: Winter Dyno Day