North East PA, NY, NJ, DE, MD, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, and ME

Turbo Ss Conversion Progress

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this a custumer's car?
Old 12-08-2007, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, it looks like it doesn't hit full boost until around 4400-4500 rpm...that's pretty nuts. Good luck with it. Hope you hit 450 without blowing anything up
Old 12-08-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING
324 hp 321 torque, but boost is falling off, waiting for a different boost controller.

Hits 20 at 4500 then falls to 17.5.
What wastegate you running and what spring. I was having that problem too with a ATP wastegate with a 8 lb spring, switched to a TIAL 38mm with a 1-bar (14.50 psi) spring and wala... 22.35 psi all across the board
Old 12-08-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
What wastegate you running and what spring. I was having that problem too with a ATP wastegate with a 8 lb spring, switched to a TIAL 38mm with a 1-bar (14.50 psi) spring and wala... 22.35 psi all across the board
We are running the internal wastegate that came with the turbo base setting was 10 psi, then we had a manual boost controller which is why boost fall off was a problem, went to a different manual boost controller and it was better but not perfect.

The blow through Maf worked out perfect, with HP tuners I was able to dial in the fuel trims to + or - 5% at every throttle position, timing was dead on with 0- 1/2 degree knock at worst, and WOT Air fuel is Flat as a Table, these were 3 gear pulls.

While the motor is out, I sent off all the charge pipes to a mandrel bending company to be copied so they will be cheap to make the kit fit the SS.

There is one small hurtle to get over, we have to relocate the supercharger inlet sensor as it was setting a code which will put the car in reduced power mode until the code is cleared.

All else being equal, meaning Boost for Boost, the Turbo has proven to be Far Superior.

After talking with Bates I think it is safe to say 325 Wheel HP is the Max with a proper tune on the Stock engine regarless of Fuel.

Install the Sleeves and Forged Pistons and 450 Wheel on pump fuel is Safe.

The block just can't handle the cylinder pressure it takes to make more than 325 Wheel power in it's present form.

I was told the 2003 and down 2.2 2.4 blocks are stronger but are not a direct swap.

The EPA is forcing Lighter and Lighter Parts to be manufactured.

Originally Posted by memphisr24
Damn, it looks like it doesn't hit full boost until around 4400-4500 rpm...that's pretty nuts. Good luck with it. Hope you hit 450 without blowing anything up
That is because we chose to go with the larger 3071, but when you shift at 6800 RPM will never drop below 4500 so it is still a very impressive package.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 12-08-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-08-2007, 10:13 AM

Very nice man. I ended up ditchin the SCIP and turning off the DTC so no reduced power mode.
Blow through maf is working good. Unfortunatley I haven't had any time to tune my own car, so where it is, is where it's staying lol.
but airflow readings on my smaller turbo are pushing the MAF and computer past it's limits and thats on a stock head and cams.
as for handling power, I've been putting down over 350whp (on a low reading dyno) and have been doing so for over 3000 miles miles with no issues. But to remain safe and keep the motor together, I wouldn't recommend over 325whp unless you know what you are don't
Old 12-08-2007, 10:47 AM

Finally A Real Turbo Swap!!!

Looks like a company finally got their **** together! In such little time look at how much they have tackled, and the RIGHT way!!!

They've already posted NICE numbers and a/f, which is more than any other vendor has done thus far. And they aren't even done! Others would have been putting together a group buy, before even posting pics of the kit, or any real world numbers/tuning proof. Or blow us off for months with not so much as an update.

Keep up the great work Jannetty Racing! Seems to me you are the only ones out there right now, who are taking this seriously and doing it the RIGHT way. Whether it be the tuning experience you have, or industry experts you know. It seems like all the major problems turbo swaps have had in the past, you are having NO problems with. I'm definetly subscribing, and if things continue in this fashion. You are going to have yourself a 100% sure order right here!

Jannetty Racing/LSJ/Gt3071r FTW!!!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by turboeco
Looks like a company finally got their **** together! In such little time look at how much they have tackled, and the RIGHT way!!!

They've already posted NICE numbers and a/f, which is more than any other vendor has done thus far. And they aren't even done! Others would have been putting together a group buy, before even posting pics of the kit, or any real world numbers/tuning proof. Or blow us off for months with not so much as an update.

:
what are you talking about man. I've had a thread open for months now with vids, datalogs, info, parts info, tuning advice and everything else you could think of.

but anyway, sorry to threadjack back on topic.
Seems like a great company and a quality product. Can't wait to see if a local picks one up, want to see it in action,
Old 12-08-2007, 11:02 AM

what are you talking about man. I've had a thread open for months now with vids, datalogs, info, parts info, tuning advice and everything else you could think of.

but anyway, sorry to threadjack back on topic.
Seems like a great company and a quality product. Can't wait to see if a local picks one up, want to see it in action,
Take it to PM after this, I don't want to threadjack either.

I've seen your thread, it just seems to me you are having a lot of tuning issues Jannetty Racing ISN'T having. In this thread alone you've mentioned a few.

They've been working on it a lot less time. According to them tuning is great, just need a new boost controller.

Don't take my posts the wrong way Paul. I'm not bashing CA, I can really appreciate all the work you are putting into your swap. I'm just supporting Jannetty in their thread. Nobody has seemed to get their ducks in a row this fast. I hope it continues to go this smooth for them, right til the end!

Last edited by turboeco; 12-08-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:31 AM

Good work guys.Do you have any pics of the swap?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 PM

Here is the last dyno sheet before we decided to pull the motor and upgrade to forged pistons and sleeves.

[IMG][/IMG]

It needed a set of plugs, they are partially fouled from when I first installed the 60 lb injectors.

I appreciate the kind words, Not looking to rain on anyones parade here.

I have been building and tuning cars the right way for 27 years, 21 years in this same location, this allows me to pull from a library of knowlege that is Vast to say the least.

This stuff comes easy to me and I will have a perfect fit bolt on kit with a perfect tune before I offer it to anyone.

It will be available in different stages based on HP.

Stay Tuned

Very nice man. I ended up ditchin the SCIP and turning off the DTC so no reduced power mode.
Blow through maf is working good. Unfortunatley I haven't had any time to tune my own car, so where it is, is where it's staying lol.
but airflow readings on my smaller turbo are pushing the MAF and computer past it's limits and thats on a stock head and cams.
as for handling power, I've been putting down over 350whp (on a low reading dyno) and have been doing so for over 3000 miles miles with no issues. But to remain safe and keep the motor together, I wouldn't recommend over 325whp unless you know what you are don't

That means the Maf pipe is not designed right, not that you don't have enough maf or computer.

There is enough range in the meter to go to over 500 wheel.

This computer is more powerful than most can comprehend, there is basically no limit to what it can do.

I recently tuned a twin turbo LS1 on stock computer to 756 RWHP on pump fuel and still had plenty of range left in the MAF for a race gas tune.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 12-08-2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 PM

~323 aint the limit

but a motor rebuild is never a bad idea!

when i went for my 320-380pulls i just ran outta MAP so i had to use the last cell to add fuel for the "unseen" boost.

and seeing that kinda torque at that low of a hp make me want to drop down hot side size.....sigh.

good luck guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That means the Maf pipe is not designed right, not that you don't have enough maf or computer.

There is enough range in the meter to go to over 500 wheel.

This computer is more powerful than most can comprehend, there is basically no limit to what it can do.

I recently tuned a twin turbo LS1 on stock computer to 756 RWHP on pump fuel and still had plenty of range left in the MAF for a race gas tune.
i've told paul that 1234423543452 times!!!

he nig-riged his 3in MAF section, thus making it act like a smaller pipe.

Last edited by 06black; 12-08-2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-08-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 06black
~323 aint the limit

but a motor rebuild is never a bad idea!

when i went for my 320-380pulls i just ran outta MAP so i had to use the last cell to add fuel for the "unseen" boost.
What may or may not be Your limit Is up to you, I am making something that has to work for everyone.

Also you must take in to account that Dyno Jets typically read 10% higher than my Superflow.

323 x 1.1 = 355 hp

And I will Take my Block Strength advice from a GM Engineer thank you!

Your using a different method of tuning than I am.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:39 PM

I will have a perfect fit bolt on kit with a perfect tune before I offer it to anyone.
Take notes vendors, THIS is how it SHOULD be done!!!

Everything down to your replies is professional, refreshing and exactly what I've been waiting for. I have no doubt in my mind you will offer a kit of the upmost quality, tune and all. You have yourself a 300whp kit customer, already!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:44 PM

i've told paul that 1234423543452 times!!!

he nig-riged his 3in MAF section, thus making it act like a smaller pipe.
lol yeah I know, I just don't have the time for the car anymore, hence the reason it's going back to stock very soon. Unfortunately I can't weld, so I can't redo my piping at the moment.
But I did retune the maf so I don't go above 10200 hz at full boost. It sucks I don't have time anymore to work on tuning the car properly these days.
As for experience, I haven't been doing this for as long as jannetty over here... but got a solid 12 yrs in it now, but mostly carb'd nitrous'd small block chevy's. I dunno, I'm just done with the cobalt, probably sell it in a few months and just pick up a beater.
but anyway, back on topic, and I"ll be watching for updates on this. I have a feeling these guys will be the first daily driven 400+whp turbo'd cobalt on the street, unless 06black gets there first lol.
but as for me, I'm done....
Old 12-08-2007, 12:55 PM

What may or may not be Your limit Is up to you, I am making something that has to work for everyone.

Also you must take in to account that Dyno Jets typically read 10% higher than my Superflow.

323 x 1.1 = 355 hp

And I will Take my Block Strength advice from a GM Engineer thank you!

Your using a different method of tuning than I am.
i did several 320-340pulls on a land&sea (mustang style) but i will admit that my 378 and 388 pulls were done on a dynojet.....i'll take its SAE certification with a grain of salt.

ohhh and one more thing.....i'll take my engine capabilities from the head cheese for the phase5 program out in Milford......you do know whats there, rite?

i'm not trying to knock ya here, i have nothing but respect and hope for a shop that brings a kit such as this to the market, i wish you luck in your efforts as well...just tossing my past work and experience with this exact project out there....

nothing more, nothing less.

and i'll say it once again, Good luck!

lol yeah I know, I just don't have the time for the car anymore, hence the reason it's going back to stock very soon. Unfortunately I can't weld, so I can't redo my piping at the moment.
But I did retune the maf so I don't go above 10200 hz at full boost. It sucks I don't have time anymore to work on tuning the car properly these days.
As for experience, I haven't been doing this for as long as jannetty over here... but got a solid 12 yrs in it now, but mostly carb'd nitrous'd small block chevy's. I dunno, I'm just done with the cobalt, probably sell it in a few months and just pick up a beater.
but anyway, back on topic, and I"ll be watching for updates on this. I have a feeling these guys will be the first daily driven 400+whp turbo'd cobalt on the street, unless 06black gets there first lol.
but as for me, I'm done....
i'm tryin paul, i'm tryin!

Last edited by 06black; 12-08-2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-08-2007, 01:12 PM

Part of the Phase 5 program includes block prep, and it was a 2.2 not a 2.0, the 2.2 is a stronger block.

I wish you luck as well.

Here is the quote right out of the Phase 5 project

The engine block is a production Original Equipment (OE)
block casting with high strength liners installed. The
production liners are machined out and thick-walled,
nodular iron, high-strength liners are installed (part number
88958681). The stock bore size is maintained. For this
application, the deck surface was machined flat to allow the
use of the production head gasket, part number
24444091 (Fig. 123).
Stock replacement head studs for this package are
available from both ARP (PN 231-4701) and Bates (part
number ESGB0165).
ENGINE BLOCK MAIN GIRDLE
No main girdle modifications are necessary. Production
main bolts are sufficient for this application. It is important
to replace the production main bolts after each use. (Fig.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 12-08-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-09-2007, 02:53 AM

no quotes needed, i've just about memorized the 400hp build section......

so close, yet still so far....ugh.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:28 AM

no quotes needed, i've just about memorized the 400hp build section......

so close, yet still so far....ugh.
Then why would you say
323 Aint the limit
When they say 400 they don't mean wheel hp they mean flywheel hp.

I am not interested in selling something that will blow your motor so we will suggest Stage 1, 325-350 Wheel HP Depending on Dyno, for stock engine which works out to about 18 PSI boost.

Stage 2, Sleeves, Forged Pistons, 60 lb injectors, and GT3071R upgrade for 350-450 Wheel power on pump fuel.

Stage 3 is yet to be determined but I am sure it will require Race Fuel.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:25 PM

Then why would you say

When they say 400 they don't mean wheel hp they mean flywheel hp.

I am not interested in selling something that will blow your motor so we will suggest Stage 1, 325-350 Wheel HP Depending on Dyno, for stock engine which works out to about 18 PSI boost.

Stage 2, Sleeves, Forged Pistons, 60 lb injectors, and GT3071R upgrade for 350-450 Wheel power on pump fuel.

Stage 3 is yet to be determined but I am sure it will require Race Fuel.
GT35R

maybe a 76 or 81mm hot side.....

the only reason why i was saying 323 isnt the limit is because i've had my car over that mark for some time now (aprox 1.5-2mo) with no ill-effects. i've done several leak downs just to verify this and make myself happy.

now granted this could vary well be the haggard limit....but shes holding up good so far. i'm having more issues with axles then anything rite now.

your post does make me ask a question...do you plan on attempting 450whp with the stock head/cam?

the ONLY reason i ask is stock head flow rates are lowwwwwww(1g dsm heads move more air) i cant see a stock head supporting that kinda power, just because of a lack of air volume flow.......so yea, just a question for ya.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:18 PM

GT35R

maybe a 76 or 81mm hot side.....

the only reason why i was saying 323 isnt the limit is because i've had my car over that mark for some time now (aprox 1.5-2mo) with no ill-effects. i've done several leak downs just to verify this and make myself happy.

now granted this could vary well be the haggard limit....but shes holding up good so far. i'm having more issues with axles then anything rite now.

your post does make me ask a question...do you plan on attempting 450whp with the stock head/cam?

the ONLY reason i ask is stock head flow rates are lowwwwwww(1g dsm heads move more air) i cant see a stock head supporting that kinda power, just because of a lack of air volume flow.......so yea, just a question for ya.
35R won't fit and is far too big, not happy till 30+ psi and too slow too spool on a 2.0.

The heads flow more than you think, we are looking at cams though.

But at the same time we want to know what we can do with the stock cams.

I am told 450 wheel is doable by the experts, We will see.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:54 PM

stock cams limit is @400hp or so according to gm, but you could always cram more boost in there.
I dunno I might just get my cams reground this week to see what the difference may be. But ican definitely feel it start to fall off above 6500 rpm's
Old 12-10-2007, 08:05 PM

stock cams limit is @400hp or so according to gm, but you could always cram more boost in there.
I dunno I might just get my cams reground this week to see what the difference may be. But ican definitely feel it start to fall off above 6500 rpm's

I don't recommend regrinding cams, this reduces the base circle of the cam lobe and will kill valve train parts on the street.

Try and find a set of cams that use the stock base circle to keep valve train happy.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:31 PM

find me some exhaust blanks and no problem...
Old 12-10-2007, 09:27 PM

I think I've seens several people on here say that peak power with the cams comes at 6750.

Thats alot better than my 2.2 though. I've got the powerband of a diesel, without the torque.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Banned

subscribed. although I have seen bryans setup, I am weary of it up holding up. Bryan, darren still tuning your car?

Quick Reply: Turbo Ss Conversion Progress