Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

Flying Exhaust Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Exhaust Pipe

Yesterday, I got on I-75 north heading to work. I just got on the highway, and was making my way to the outside fast lane. Most everyone was doing about 60-65, but the outside lane was doing 75+. Finally had a break in traffic and moved on out to the fast lane. Passed about two cars, and there is a good 10 car lengths between me and the "pack" of cars ahead. I see a car ahead swerve like they were trying to miss something on the road. Well the person didn't and sent a full exhaust pipe from a car in the air. Not only is it in the air, but spinning as well, and now flying right towards me. My left hand is on the wheel, right is on the gear shift. Both windows are down. I scream "oh s***", pull my right had from the gear shift and cover my face thinking this thing is gonna come right through the windshield. I pull the wheel enough to ride on the grooves on the side of the highway. I then hear glass just shatter. I look up and find that the windshield didn't get hit, but my outside passenger mirror had been hit, glass broken, and silver backing gone.

Here is the aftermath of it after I got to work.

Luckily that is all the damage that was done. I have no idea if it hit the car behind me, landed on the highway again, or off in the center median. I took it to a dealer that had their body shop open today to get an estimate. Right now it's probably gonna cost me $1300 or more depending on what else they find wrong with the mirror and if the fender can be fixed. Still have to talk to the insurance company and see if it's worth filing a claim over it or not. I'm also gonna have a few other minor scratches fixed that were put on by someone else and my spoiler from my bike rack.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy ****, that's terrible. Could've done so much more damage, thank god it didn't!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:37 AM

Yeah, thankfully that was the extent of the damage. It could have been a lot worse. I just glad it didn't end up back on the road, bounce up, and end up damaging the underbody of my car. Or take out my windshield. hood, headlight, ect. Any idea if the insurance will cover this and not hike up my rates? I mean, how could I really miss a flying exhaust pipe anyway?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:10 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
im guessing this would be conprehensive... not promising anything. car looks alot better than mine did when i hit a deer last year. fender bent in, door crinkled under mirror, and mirror didnt exist lol. damn thing even left a slobber mark on my windshield
Old 07-24-2011, 01:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good thing it wasn't a fartcan exhaust
Old 07-25-2011, 10:30 PM

My insurance did say that it is comprehensive, so I will only end up having to pay $100 for the damage. Just have to wait to hear from the "adjuster" and get the claim number. So I'm hoping to get this all fixed up in the next two weeks or so. I'm also having a few other scratches fixed as well. One of them is on my spoiler since I used a bike rack and hit a bump causing it to bounce.

My dad happened to find some cork that I am going to wrap around the metal bars this time and hope it doesn't scratch it up again. I know this is a post about flying exhaust pipes, but does anyone have a bike rack they use with a low rise spoiler? If so, anyone have any pics of how the mounted it? I got the Yakama Super Joe 2 (I think).

Originally Posted by Phyrric
Good thing it wasn't a fartcan exhaust
Oh man that would have made this post even better. I would have titled it "Fart can exhaust meets a mirror".
Old 07-25-2011, 11:07 PM

better the car than you.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:39 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally Posted by z062007vette
My insurance did say that it is comprehensive, so I will only end up having to pay $100 for the damage. Just have to wait to hear from the "adjuster" and get the claim number. So I'm hoping to get this all fixed up in the next two weeks or so. I'm also having a few other scratches fixed as well. One of them is on my spoiler since I used a bike rack and hit a bump causing it to bounce.

My dad happened to find some cork that I am going to wrap around the metal bars this time and hope it doesn't scratch it up again. I know this is a post about flying exhaust pipes, but does anyone have a bike rack they use with a low rise spoiler? If so, anyone have any pics of how the mounted it? I got the Yakama Super Joe 2 (I think).

Oh man that would have made this post even better. I would have titled it "Fart can exhaust meets a mirror".
i have a bike rack that i use on my car, no scratches other than minor ones from the dirt i was too lazy to clean off but regret now . it has foam on it to protect the paint, ill have to set it up tommorrow to get a pic.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltz06
better the car than you.
That is very true. I can fix a car, but I can't be fixed.

Originally Posted by Kolt
i have a bike rack that i use on my car, no scratches other than minor ones from the dirt i was too lazy to clean off but regret now . it has foam on it to protect the paint, ill have to set it up tommorrow to get a pic.
Thank you! I'd appreciate it.

So today on my way home, a guy in front of me wasn't paying attention, so he started to drift toward the edge of the entrance ramp. He drove over quite a few rocks and realizes that he's about to go in the ditch, and swerves back out. In the process, he is kicking up a bunch of rocks on the site of the road. One of them happened to be a very big rock. It's bouncing along the ground in front of me, then start to roll a bit before hiting a bump in the cement, sending it back up to the height of my bumper. I hear "ting" thinking it went under the car and what not.

I get home to check to see where it hit. I now have a very nice crack in the front of my bumper........

Right now, I am really ticked off even more. I want to do stuff to my car, but these last two things that have happened to me in not even a week makes me just want say screw it all and not bother making my car nicer and better. I thought about getting the GMPP Exhaust and new tail lights, but I'm not sure if it's even worth me doing that anymore. I hate to spend a gob of money on this stuff only to have something else happen to my car.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:08 AM
Banned

It's a lot easier to fix a car than to fix a person.