Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

I missed the loud growl of my SRI

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOOD, case closed,
Old 09-13-2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Cobalt 08
yep... true true. Well finally thank you for not being a ***** and this time I will take your advice, and just go back to GMPP SRI. At least now I still have the option to turn it back to a CAI whenever I want which I guess is a plus.
props man and you know i dont do that often
Old 09-13-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SS_Ry
props man and you know i dont do that often
for serious. btw cc08, at a local social me, ss_ry and MSS(w/e numbers he has next to his name) went to, we saw a 4 door base cobalt with a aliumiun case cap sticker, it really made the night for us. so your not the only fucked up one who did that.

atleast yours is off now tho right.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Projekt
theres two reasons why i am a ***** to you

reason the first, you never ******* listen

reason the second, refer to reason the first.
Well now I'm starting to.

for serious. btw cc08, at a local social me, ss_ry and MSS(w/e numbers he has next to his name) went to, we saw a 4 door base cobalt with a aliumiun case cap sticker, it really made the night for us. so your not the only fucked up one who did that.

Yeah. Now I feel better that I wasn't the only one.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 PM

i about spit out my food when i read that
Old 09-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Well now I'm starting to.

Yeah. Now I feel better that I wasn't the only one.
mmhm, i beleive this is a step in the right direction, not only for yourself but for the humanity of this fourm.

you also want another prime recommendation, get the GMPP touring/sport (w/e you want) exhaust, it sounds good and doesnt restriced air flow at all..
Old 09-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Banned

!!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:10 PM

Eventually I'll get the GMPP exhaust. But for now, I need to start saving some money. Spending it too much on the car. But I'm not gonna lower my car. I really rather not. NYC has a very strict noise law so I won't do anything else to my exhaust/header and all that. And there's plenty of members here with loom. It's not like I'm the only one with them. And at the last car show I was at, everyone was digging the loom so I'm gonna keep it.
thats fine keep it, you dont need to defend it, if you like it keep it. personally its not my taste because it doesnt match, but if you like it do it. just dont do anything that makes your car "not clean" clean=good

not lowering is totaly understandable, also look at a TWM short shifter, it really turns our cars into a new one.

Originally Posted by SS_Ry
no homo?
**** off , ill get on cod right away

Last edited by Projekt; 09-13-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

thats fine keep it, you dont need to defend it, if you like it keep it. personally its not my taste because it doesnt match, but if you like it do it. just dont do anything that makes your car "not clean" clean=good

not lowering is totaly understandable, also look at a TWM short shifter, it really turns our cars into a new one.

**** off , ill get on cod right away
I edited what I said a bit so re read what I said.

, also look at a TWM short shifter, it really turns our cars into a new one.
I can kiss my power train warranty goodbye then. I rather wait till my warranty is up before I do that.

Last edited by chevy cobalt 08; 09-13-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-13-2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by cougar2588
agreed.....honestly man....where did u get this idea....
a secert truth, hes the first one to ever attempts this.

i ponderd this idea over winter, well two SRI intakes both located on oppisite ends of the engine bay) instead i did research and found out exactly what i posted earlyer in the thread.

oh alright then I have a habit of going into detail and explaining things.
nothing is wrong with detail, but going over board can be "annyoing". and im sure you get that word alot around here.

Last edited by Projekt; 09-13-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Banned

[SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"]Now all I need is a heat shield from K&N to complete it!
How about a real K&N filter besides that junk filter from the local auto parts store ricer section?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05redline
How about a real K&N filter besides that junk filter from the local auto parts store ricer section?
Will it fit in the air box since I'm going back to the regular gmpp intake? And that filter was originally on the taurus.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is a small lesson in fluid dynamics for you all.

The intake pipe, all of it, is considered a closed pressure vessel from the throttle valve to the filters (both of them in this case). The air pressure within the vessel is constant across the entire pipe. It's the same at the TB, mid length, at either filter, everywhere, all the time. Therefore, the same amount of vacuum pressure is pulling air through either filter.

What determines which filter is supplying more air is based on the flow rate ability of the filter elements. Since there are two different filters being used here, one of them will certainly have a better flow rate then the other. So that one will provide the greater amount of air.

How far the filter is away from the TB has nothing to do with it.

The single biggest effect of this modification is he has doubled the available filtration surface area. This will allow air to pass into the intake with less effort. It won't be terribly noticable however because a single filter already provides very sufficient air flow.

The mixing of the flows and the temperatures will have very little effect, if any.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent

The intake pipe, all of it, is considered a closed pressure vessel from the throttle valve to the filters (both of them in this case). The air pressure within the vessel is constant across the entire pipe. It's the same at the TB, mid length, at either filter, everywhere, all the time. Therefore, the same amount of vacuum pressure is pulling air through either filter.

What determines which filter is supplying more air is based on the flow rate ability of the filter elements. Since there are two different filters being used here, one of them will certainly have a better flow rate then the other. So that one will provide the greater amount of air.

The single biggest effect of this modification is he has doubled the available filtration surface area. This will allow air to pass into the intake with less effort. It won't be terribly noticable however because a single filter already provides very sufficient air flow.

The mixing of the flows and the temperatures will have very little effect, if any.

I stopped laughing on page 2, and finally saw this post. Thanks for explaining "why" it is pointless.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand that the air now will never be as cool as just a CAI but it will still be pretty cooler air than a regular SRI especially when I get a heat shield for it. I guess a medium temp.

I would if I had the money Right now my dad's been screaming at me to stop spending money on my car cause I'm not saving any money and going broke
Problem with this is your using the stock sized throttle body so the max airflow is restricted by the diameter of the throttle body. This means you are basically dilluting the CAI with the SRI, why not go CAI only? If you like the sound, I get it, and I guess it makes sense..

Fluid dynamics only applies to....... fluids.

Fluids can't compress, air can, so you aren't 100% right, but most engines don't have enough vacuum to compress air coming into the cylinder, but some high compression do!

Last edited by boostbalt; 09-14-2008 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-14-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by boostbalt
Fluid dynamics only applies to....... fluids.

Fluids can't compress, air can, so you aren't 100% right...
Wrong.

Liquids can't compress. Fluids are any form of matter that conform to the shape of their container. Air is a fluid. All gases are fluids. Liquids are a type of fluid.

Originally Posted by boostbalt
...but most engines don't have enough vacuum to compress air coming into the cylinder, but some high compression do!
What? That makes no sense.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Banned

"A fluid is defined as a substance that continually deforms (flows) under an applied shear stress regardless of how small the applied stress. All liquids and all gases are fluids."

i thought everybody knew this lol this is like day 2 high school chem
Old 09-14-2008, 02:29 AM
Banned

So basically your saying both my intakes "work" however performance wise don't really change anything. Meaning I would still be able to keep it how i have it?
Old 09-14-2008, 02:33 AM
I'm old school

Ya, you can keep it. Its fine. It's no worse then what you had before. It's not much better, but certainly not worse.

I doubt you will be able to get the K&N airbox to fit however. It is designed to have the filter in a specific position and yours isn't there. You would have better luck fabbing up your own baffle.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:42 AM

Ya, you can keep it. Its fine. It's no worse then what you had before. It's not much better, but certainly not worse.

I doubt you will be able to get the K&N airbox to fit however. It is designed to have the filter in a specific position and yours isn't there. You would have better luck fabbing up your own baffle.
Just saying thank god we god someone with intelligence still posting in here. +1 Imaginary Rep.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:46 AM
Banned

Would this do any good? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...mZ180287320472

Originally Posted by thought
Just saying thank god we god someone with intelligence still posting in here. +1 Imaginary Rep.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:47 AM

I can kiss my power train warranty goodbye then. I rather wait till my warranty is up before I do that.
you mean drivetrain? and no that won't void it. they have to prove any malfunction was caused by the part
Old 09-14-2008, 02:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by boostaddict
you mean drivetrain? and no that won't void it. they have to prove any malfunction was caused by the part
Yeah but they certainly aren't going to replace any parts that might brake if something should happen. Considering the fact that I have to modify the shifter for it to fit. It's also irreversible if I wanted to revert back to stock for whatever reason. And yeah I mean drivetrain sorry
Old 09-14-2008, 03:17 AM

Wow.. twin vtaks ?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:23 AM
Banned

Umm no...

Quick Reply: I missed the loud growl of my SRI