Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

Official Base Model Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundraboarder666
TO those who have automatics:

Talked to IPT today after the. 'Builder' was a ass hat to me and said that my car has to throw a code in order for it to not shift or slip... there's no code. It is what it is. He said that it was an impossibility and that I don't know what I'm doing.... like really?! What a ******* ass hole. He also said he wouldn't be covering fluids or the removal and install or any of the shipping. . He said no one has ever broke one before so I must be well over 500 wtq. Okay fucktard! Needless to say I'm out a thousand dollars at least and wont be doing business with IPT again after this. Done with the cobalt. Finding something else

Watch out for IPT
if it automatic it could be a one way clutch in the trans is happened to me it would work fine then every once in a while slip real bad or not engage at all the mechanic the changed it said it basically disintagrated and the were no cels or other warning lights
Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sergiochaotik
don't get me wrong here, your car is absolutely amazing and shows how much work and love you've put into it..but don't you think it's kind of your fault too, for going overboard? Sure it sucks, and it's a pain in the ass that these companies aren't making a transmission suitable for your needs, but if you're setting off to have that sort of power; why do you start with a base model cobalt? Just my 0.02$
So what your trying to say is why mod a base model car. If he had a manual from the start he wouldnt be having problems. Probably just like him, I bought my car for a DD and thats about it. Later on I got bored and modded it.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM

Have any of you guys upgraded the rear shock with a smaller shock absorber? Im worried that the fe1 components wont compress enough or will bottom out when i throw the coilover sleeves on.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 PM

or do i need to just compress them really good? and how do i go about compressing them?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by 06_ion2
So what your trying to say is why mod a base model car. If he had a manual from the start he wouldnt be having problems. Probably just like him, I bought my car for a DD and thats about it. Later on I got bored and modded it.

no, not at all; I'm asking why he bought a base model COBALT. I got this car second hand, to get me to-and-fro university since I study abroad. I'm sure everyone's got their reasons, but if you're going to put that much money and effort into a car; why not put it in a car that's worth while.

again, don't get me wrong; his car is awesome, it's just a PITA to not be able to drive it because of all the crazy engine upgrades/companies who can't make proper transmissions.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:09 AM

This is transmission number 4... I really don't want to spend another $5000 on a trans to find out that ZZP's can't hold the power either...
thats weak man sorry to hear about your trouble with those guys,
side bar
how much power are you putting down anyway lol
Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 AM

no, not at all; I'm asking why he bought a base model COBALT. I got this car second hand, to get me to-and-fro university since I study abroad. I'm sure everyone's got their reasons, but if you're going to put that much money and effort into a car; why not put it in a car that's worth while.

again, don't get me wrong; his car is awesome, it's just a PITA to not be able to drive it because of all the crazy engine upgrades/companies who can't make proper transmissions.
I bought a base model ion and made pretty much the same motor. his auto just killed the whole project.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna assume ZZP's trans hold power just from the fact that there trans is in Ryans 9 second cobalt.It's auto.but I think I would be done after all the bullshit of that car too.nothing has gone wrong with my turd and I want something different.I miss my RWD v8 days but am considering a 4cyl RWD that Ive always wanted and not a gay fkn 240,300,350,or 370z.hell not even a Nissan.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by taerae86
Wowww. That sucks
Indeed it does...

Originally Posted by Jookycola
Good looking out for the community. Why do businesses forget we live in the internet age and bad word of mouth on the internet can kill your business????

They somehow think they can still be a'holes, rip-off a customer and still com out on top. That astounds me how anyone can think that's good business.
Right?! I tried calling them again today to talk to the shop owner to see how he wants to play it from here... Because at the drop of a hat I can make it so that no one will want to go to IPT from here.

Originally Posted by c1_c1rca
maybe.... just maybe, dont take this the wrong way, but maaaaaaayyyyybbbeeeee you should back off the power a lil bit.... i could use some extra horses over here tho so you can toss some this way
Hahaha I wasn't even done trying for more power was the sad thing lol

don't get me wrong here, your car is absolutely amazing and shows how much work and love you've put into it..but don't you think it's kind of your fault too, for going overboard? Sure it sucks, and it's a pain in the ass that these companies aren't making a transmission suitable for your needs, but if you're setting off to have that sort of power; why do you start with a base model cobalt? Just my 0.02$
Going overboard... sure except I have supporting mods that LET me go overboard and get away with it. I bought the car to get good gas mileage... I was inspired by the power of other cars and realized I could make this car have power. So I went for it.

Originally Posted by kreid144
if it automatic it could be a one way clutch in the trans is happened to me it would work fine then every once in a while slip real bad or not engage at all the mechanic the changed it said it basically disintagrated and the were no cels or other warning lights
Exactly.

YUP! base model cobalts stock are only so fun to drive haha

Why would my car not be worth while in the end though? It is very much a pain in the ass, but it's worth it in the end.

Originally Posted by Philswrath
thats weak man sorry to hear about your trouble with those guys,
side bar
how much power are you putting down anyway lol
Probably around 350 to the wheels. Thanks man.

I bought a base model ion and made pretty much the same motor. his auto just killed the whole project.
It's true, Almost considering buying another base model 5 speed to switch everything over to. and then sell this one.

Originally Posted by 1LowLS
I'm gonna assume ZZP's trans hold power just from the fact that there trans is in Ryans 9 second cobalt.It's auto.but I think I would be done after all the bullshit of that car too.nothing has gone wrong with my turd and I want something different.I miss my RWD v8 days but am considering a 4cyl RWD that Ive always wanted and not a gay fkn 240,300,350,or 370z.hell not even a Nissan.
Yup... just tired of it.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 PM

Indeed it does...

It's true, Almost considering buying another base model 5 speed to switch everything over to. and then sell this one.

Yup... just tired of it.
That's what i would do if your going to stick with the delta platform.Maybe a G5 just to be a little different.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM

I've been looking on CL and theres a lot of people who for some reason are very proud of there stock cobalts.. asking 10K for over 100K miles. lmao
Old 03-14-2012, 02:23 PM

Wow!My car with all the crap isn't even worth 10k
Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM

Haha right!? that's some bullshit! lol
Old 03-14-2012, 03:55 PM

I've been looking on CL and theres a lot of people who for some reason are very proud of there stock cobalts.. asking 10K for over 100K miles. lmao
Might have to look outa state for one. should be hard to find one for under 5k in a manual.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Banned

TO those who have automatics:

Talked to IPT today after the. 'Builder' was a ass hat to me and said that my car has to throw a code in order for it to not shift or slip... there's no code. It is what it is. He said that it was an impossibility and that I don't know what I'm doing.... like really?! What a ******* ass hole. He also said he wouldn't be covering fluids or the removal and install or any of the shipping. . He said no one has ever broke one before so I must be well over 500 wtq. Okay fucktard! Needless to say I'm out a thousand dollars at least and wont be doing business with IPT again after this. Done with the cobalt. Finding something else

Watch out for IPT
What did you order from them a fully built 4T45? or just a rebuild? Why so many trannys?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 PM

I got mine for under 6k CDN at 60k km...(I think that's like 35-40k miles)
Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

ive put more money into my car than i spent on it. ill just leavve it at that
Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM

I've put just under 4 grand into mine; but I don't have a sc or turbo
Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

recieved this today

Old 03-14-2012, 10:00 PM

anyone know how shitty of a ride ss/sc springs would be if i cut 2 coils off? lol i have an extra set and im on sportlines right now but i want moar low and just had the thought y not, i can do all the work myself, i just want to know what type of ride difference im looking at
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 PM

I know 1lowls is on cut springs; never heard him mention anything about having a bad ride.

It's obvious the lower you go, the harsher the ride will be; but that's the price I assume you're ready to pay. But if you cut the springs, they are not stiff enough to handle that amount of low, so they will bottom out more easily (since there's less spring to rebound). It should ride like an ss/sc until you hit bumps big enough to make them bottom out...which will be a lot easier than their regular height. It won't be as stiff as the sportlines until you hit big bumps and you feel them bottoming out.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 PM

yeah thats what i figured, i may or may not do it, i really want coils lol but i cant afford those yet
Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

hai guise

dont mind all the crazy wiring, thats all for my retros, fogs and airhorn lol

Last edited by drumrush; 03-14-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 PM

^^^ fire hazard
Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by drumrush
hai guise

dont mind all the crazy wiring, thats all for my retros, fogs and airhorn lol
I love those wheels so much. But why are you putting it on if it's not painted yet? just extra work for nothing, no?

Quick Reply: Official Base Model Thread