Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Flashing CEL P0300....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashing CEL P0300....

The only trip out yesterday because of the snow coming down in louisville, and what happens coming home.....

Car died pulling only our court and I coasted in the drive way, restart and it sounded like a tractor at idle. I gave it a little rev to about 2500 rpm and it had a solid miss all the way through. Instantly, I am thinking the lazy #4 said FU, I'm out.

I begin to think about the the return trip.... I didn't hammer at all coming back through the subdivision. I then called up someone who had an actual lazy #4 piston that didn't want to put in work, (Chood711) and ask the $2500 question. What did yours do? He described a magical setting on the expressway paired up with an eager mustang driver that was begging to be toyed with. He then dropped the hammer and down shifted to third when a pop sound fired off like a 4th of july celabration followed by the best pyrotechnics with smoke and oil from the exhaust pipe that about a 3k rebuild could buy. This was not the the same for me. Ahh Ha then some hope came forth.

He promptly braved the elements in the 2 inches of blizzard that was coating Louisville at the time, (No BS on this one... Apparently 2" of snow is the magical number to wreak havoc in this city), to help trouble shoot the weakest link. In my driveway..... Because I do not have a garage....... 20*, big snow coming down.

The wifey, all the while being super supportive, I am guessing because the look on my face was one of a broken heart, begins to dig up the extended warranty paper work from the office. (5 years after date of purchase or an additional 75000 mi after the factory warranty is up. of which expired in Oct.)

Chood711 pulls into the driveway. We both promptly greet and head for the lame blue LSJ right by the house. Pop the hood, and begin the process of pulling plugs to check for damage. The #4 plug is in pristine condition, still correctly gapped for its intended purpose, but overall, a positive sign. We then move onto the other plugs, all following the same suit. By this time, we are scratching our heads... if the "typical" lazy #4 piston had layed down, surely there would be enough debris to do some damage to the plug. Chood711, in his infinate wisdom suggests to check the coil packs.... I thought to myself, where in the hell am I going to get a coil pack at this time of night, in this weather...just as Chood711 started to push the snow off of his hood and reach for the latch. within what seemed seconds, a healthy coil pack was presented. Now came the time to determine if all of mine were good. We started with #2. When the plug was removed, there was a stronger smell of gas on the plug than all of the others. installed, start the car, tractor like miss, shut down. #1, had the same results. Reaching for #3, I happened to glance at #4 and noticed that it was turn on and erect like it just visited a strip club for the first time....

We skipped over #3 and went straight for the likely canidate. Success, upon starting, the old LSJ smoothed out like it had just woke up from a nap. Now, the next obvious question, will the parts house at the front of the neighborhood have it in stock.

We reassembled Chood711's car, then slid out of the driveway up to the zone... all of the salt used for the parking lot was undoubtedly put on the rednecks fries that worked inside. the lot was uber slick. When I showed Jethro the lame coil pack, he promptly asked what it was, and what year, make, and model it was off of. I uttered the words like a broken record, 05 chevy cobalt - 2.0 supercharged. He promptly stated that he didn't have it in stock and could order it... it would be twos days. I asked, is there one at another autozone? He then stated the words that nobody wants to here on a sunday night, before you have to be at work the next morning.... it is an order only part.

Chood711, being the men of all men... stated, I have three that are packed up at the house, I think I know which box they are in.... and off we go to his place. 15 minutes of digging, and we were back on our way to my place. 15 minutes of reassembly time, and the old LSJ runs smother than a baby's bottom again.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im just glad that it ended up being a coil and not a good ole #4 mishap being that im the one that has been tinkering with your tune....lol . i wouldnt call my self a man of all men, just someone who knows how useful it is to have someone else that can throw out unthought of opinions or to hold a flashlight when needed.. definitely the first time ive seen a coil pack basically explode like that.