Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

06 Cobalt lights/shaking questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Cobalt lights/shaking questions

Hello everyone, I am sorry if this has been posted before but this is my first post here and I have two problems that I was wondering if you had any insight on.

Firstly, two of my three brake lights are out along with my rear turn signals. The center brake light works perfectly. I checked and changed the fuse, which was not blown but I replaced it anyway. Any suggestions on what this may be?

Secondly, I was in an accident (minor – airbags did not deploy) two years ago almost and the radiator support cracked. The person doing the inspection said it wasn’t a problem. I had someone looking at my car for something else about a month ago and he said that my blower motor support is broken (why my car had been shaking on idle when the heat or AC was on) and that the AC line was kinked (which is why my levels 1 and 3 do not work on my hear or AC. This I can live with. However, recently, my car is started to shake on idle even when the AC is off (it has never done this, the shaking prior stopped when I turned my AC/heat off). It only does it every now and then for a brief period of time. I just had emissions done about four months ago and it checked out fine with the engine.

Do any of you have any suggestions for either one of these problems? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have a 2006 Cobalt LS (I believe - basic everything)
Old 04-22-2015, 12:35 PM

Did you check the bulbs?

I'm assuming by 1 and 3 you mean interior fan speed, that sounds like a bad blower motor resistor.

Have you physically checked the rad fan yourself since the accident, if it's broken or not mounted properly it can cause a shake. I've seen a car with a chunk out of one of the fan blades once, when the fan came on it shook so violently it actually set misfire codes. If you think it might be the fan unplug it or pull the fuse and see if the shake goes away. Or jumper the relay with the car off and see if it shakes
Old 04-22-2015, 01:08 PM

Yes the 1 and 3 are fan speeds.

Would all four bulbs for both brake lights and rear blinkers go out at once?

Originally Posted by Celestial739
Did you check the bulbs?

I'm assuming by 1 and 3 you mean interior fan speed, that sounds like a bad blower motor resistor.

Have you physically checked the rad fan yourself since the accident, if it's broken or not mounted properly it can cause a shake. I've seen a car with a chunk out of one of the fan blades once, when the fan came on it shook so violently it actually set misfire codes. If you think it might be the fan unplug it or pull the fuse and see if the shake goes away. Or jumper the relay with the car off and see if it shakes