Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

07 ss/sc is dropping power but in a weird way...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 ss/sc is dropping power but in a weird way...

Kinda looked around for people with the same issue but not sure if it's the same so I'll throw this out there.

For the past 6 months or so my ss/sc 07 will act like it is dropping power completely but for less than a half a second. It is enough to feel it. Lately it has gotten worse, and happens all the time and at all throttle positions.

To explain better how it feels it is like the clutch is slipping but the RPM's don't jump. At WOT it will fall off like I turned the car off then continue one but the RPM gauge never moves.
When taking off normally like I'm trying to conserve gas and staying out of boost you can feel the car surging but it is actually dropping power constantly for a quarter of a second and then ok for a sec.... repeat. The more I press on the gas the more you feel it but the less often it happens. Again happens with and without boost and cruising at any speed any gear.

Anyone have this issue. So far no codes and even using Torque for android shows nothing in the charts I create.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:21 PM

have your battery check ive heard of weak voltages on it cause similar conditions
Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM

walked out and dug up the trunk... it looks like the original battery in there.....

Now that I think about it the car does have a hard time starting sometimes, takes an extra 2-3 seconds of cranking before it starts and rolling up the windows are slower than before...

Wouldn't hurt to change it out I guess.

Any suggestion on batteries in case people have found certain brands don't work well with our cars....
Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 PM

Wouldn't be a bad idea to check plugs. No check engine light huh?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:05 PM

Going to pull them tomorrow.

Battery tested good but the guy did recommend replacing it since it is old.

It has gotten worse. It is not acting like it is bogging down then coming out of it. I still get the stuttering but when I WOT from a start it's great in first and then second kinda bogs down then comes out of it only to stutter and then bog down again. Third is the worse.

no codes no drop in RPM's from the dash and boost seems to hold.

I am putting Torque on it tomorrow and gather a data sheet at regular driving and WOT.

BTW I can hear my fuel pump..... it doesn't wound like it is cutting out but it is louder then I remember(drive with the stereo up so I don't know) and it isn't a consistent noise.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 291 Likes on 268 Posts
Fuel filter is clogged.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:17 PM

HMMMMM..... going to pick one up on the way home and replace it. Hopefully it's not to hard to get to really sore taking care of my ponies lol
Old 02-04-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
clogged cat or clogged fuel filter are my best guesses
Old 02-05-2014, 11:41 AM

didn't get the fuel filter yet. cat was looking good last time I pulled it and no CEL from downstream as I heard a clogged cat can throw a code. plus a clogged cat would bog down constantly.... I'm thinking the fuel filter would do the same.

I did a data run from every sensor and looked through it and everything looks fine including the RPM's they stay steam and climbing.

Could there be a tranny slippage issue.... I have the new clutch in the is the GMPP clutch and it seems to hold just fine.

going to keep the radio off and drive in a few to go get the fuel filter and see if the engine sounds like it is bogging. Local guy told me to listen for a change in the exhaust note after it happens for any small popping sounds.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:02 PM

Filter did nothing.

I am watching the gauges and nothing. The boost never drops and the RMP's never drop.

Either the engine is dropping power in an odd way or something it bogging it down.

Battery will be replaced on the 15th so I'll go from there. After that I should have new plugs to go with new injectors and a smaller pulley.

UPDATE: Ok now I am getting a 0455 code but it is a pending code and I only snagged it because I ran the code check while it was having the issue.

So looking around the consensus was a gas cap... I have never in all the cars I have owned had a bad gas cap. So with that I am leaning towards this canister purge valve on the EVAP can by the fuel filter. I have heard a few odd noises but they were not clicking they were a thump lol like someone thumping their finger on a plastic container.

So any input as to weather this could be my issue? One guy claimed the car drop different when he unplugged it and didn't hesitate so I wonder if this could be it..... 25 bucks local parts store.... hmmmmm

Last edited by reddragon72; 02-12-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:56 AM

Ok so the fuel filter, gas cap and purge valve did not fix my issue.

Could the belt be slipping?

It really feels like I'm towing another car and they touch the brakes all the time but I can hear the engine bog down....

At a total loss here with where to go next.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry as i don't come on much but i think i have the exact same issue as you, I just got my car not to long ago so bare with me and it is a 06 stage 2, Almost feels like the charger isn't working for a split second or something??

I have watched everything i can on my aeroforce gauge and no engine light, so my scanner can't get any codes. At first i was thinking injectors, But now that i have driven some more i am leaning towards the charger or something to do with it, But like i said everything on my gauge is running as it should, So i am lost

Last edited by T-fog; 02-13-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 PM

delete please
Old 02-14-2014, 01:29 PM

So yesterday it seemed to be way better and now today it is worse that it has ever been....

I am probably just going to wait for total failure and my p0455 code is gone so it must have been the gas cap.

Same fuel from the same place and been that way for 3 months and this has been going on and getting worse for over 6 months.

And I agree it almost feels like a sudden loss of power or that the clutch is slipping but I know it's not the clutch since I upgraded to the GMPP and it holds in first and second WOT.

The weather is finally giving me a break and when I'm done working my ponies(yes horses) then I'm going to get under the hood and check hoses and fittings and plugs, both spark and connectors, and clean clean clean. Might put a torque wrench on a few bolts to make sure everything is tight.

Right now I am at a total loss.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:56 AM

Just a quick update.

Spark plugs changed with NGK's .35 yada yada and no change other than a smoother idle.

I did notice that my fuel pump is whining/changing tones.
Vid of it... VID 20140218 085228 - YouTube
After I rev the engine half way through the vid you can really hear the whine and the tone changing....

Is this something to worry about and maybe a cause to the problem?

Like I said it sometimes drops power like I totally let my foot off the gas and the rest of the time it's like someone is pulling on the car but the gauges never move or reflect anything.

Oh and it's getting really bad at WOT
Old 02-24-2014, 05:08 PM

Cleaned the crap out of the MAF and little change on the issue but when it does work it really pulls now and my MPG has jumped from 33 to 36.

So now I am looking at the fuel pump.

Also going to go over all the hoses again because my brakes are feeling really stiff like there is a loss in vacuum to the booster. Another thing is when I turn the heater on it acts like I turned on the AC. In other word just turning to one with heat only (AC not lit up) the car will bog down.

I am really thinking vacuum leak but wouldn't I see that in the boost gauge?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:16 PM

Got new injectors and plugs and a new fuel filter (playing it safe since i just bought it from someone and don't know its history)
But it did not fix my problem...

Reddragon 72 - I have been doing mad research and recently have been talking to a member from this site and we are now thinking it is the bypass valve for the supercharger ? What do you or any other member think could this cause this problem ?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:21 PM

fuel pump recall. my 07 was hard to start and had the same issues you are describing I took it to the dealer after I found out about the fuel pump recall and had it done and the car runs perfect now
Old 02-28-2014, 12:23 PM

stop throwing parts at it
Old 03-03-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by T-fog
Got new injectors and plugs and a new fuel filter (playing it safe since i just bought it from someone and don't know its history)
But it did not fix my problem...

Reddragon 72 - I have been doing mad research and recently have been talking to a member from this site and we are now thinking it is the bypass valve for the supercharger ? What do you or any other member think could this cause this problem ?
Originally Posted by cobaltsssc760
fuel pump recall. my 07 was hard to start and had the same issues you are describing I took it to the dealer after I found out about the fuel pump recall and had it done and the car runs perfect now
Fuel pump was done by the dealer 14 months ago when I took it in for the dead power steering issue. Odd though because the pump sounds really loud and changed pitch. I posted a vid on here so people could listen in.

Called the dealer last week and that is how I knew it was 14 months because they only warranty the part for 12 months.... so if I need a new one then I have to do it myself.

As far as the boost goes I'm not seeing on the dial or in the logs from Torque. I may just pull it out and check anyways.

Oh and trust me I'm done throwing parts at it. Right now I'm just waiting for better weather and time to start ripping crap off and cleaning it.

It is so odd how it acts. It pulls like it's digital and not linear. Meaning the power comes on in spurts but can also drop down in spurts once it gets above 5k. No jerking or anyhting but you can clearly feel the car stop pulling then start pulling again. And flat out on the freeway in 3rd at 90+ really slows me down like it refuses to give me any more power then it suddenly jumps like I just pressed on the throttle.

It is really really odd and the Torque graphs from my phones accelerometer shows it. Very odd....

Oh and this only happens when under load. If I just stomp on it out of gear or gradually climb the K's then it's fine it never stutters or stumbles, only when I am in 2nd gear or higher.

I will be getting a new battery on the 15th. but so far Torque says the juice stays from 13.9 to 14.3 while the car is one and that never drops but I need a new one anyways as the cold is going to kill this battery as it is the original.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:53 PM

Red dragon - I just bought my coby and i just bought a battery so i doubt it, (But it get tested, Before you replace it )

Also i am pretty much doing a tune up and fluid flushes, Since i don't know when it all was last done and i would feel more comfortable to know when it is next due...and if it isn't eliminated i will then investigate to see..
Old 03-07-2014, 02:14 PM

So here is a new find from a local member who had the same/similar issue. He even road in my car and said timeing belt tensioner.

He said he threw nearly 800 dollars at the car including new injectors and never got it fixed. The he was getting his valve cover painted and notices his timing chain looked odd. Found the tensioner was shot so he replaced it. After that his car ran great and no more power fluctiations/drops.

I have looked around and see most people recommend a new at 120k or sooner. GM has no info on it so they must think it is a for life part.

If the weather holds then I pull my valve cover and take a look this weekend. It's free to take a look so no harm.

I am hoping that is it but who knows at this point.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:31 PM

I've never heard of the tensioner causing those symptoms, unless you may have jumped timing.

Get the updated tensioner on there and make sure the car is timed correctly.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:13 PM

didn't get a chance to look it this weekend. Looks link I can't do anything till next weekend.

I'm at a loss for this and really just cannot think of anything that would make the car feel like it is loosing power but not cause the RPM's to drop or boost, even a hair of a drop.... very weird.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:23 PM

If the motor jumped timing slightly those symptoms can occur.

Quick Reply: 07 ss/sc is dropping power but in a weird way...