Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

08+ SS/TC Problems & Fixes / Waiting on parts..

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08+ SS/TC Problems & Fixes / Waiting on parts..

Curious to see everyones issues they had with there 08+ SS/TC.

Ill start
' Other then some of the small issues the car has, its funny i was contacted by a laywer confirming my car fits under lemon law replacement. To much cosmetic and time in the car to start over..

1.) Since day one i got the car, keeps burning up the fuse block and horn
' Was in the shop 6 times for it, and never fixed correct at multiple dealers '

2.) Front rotors warping very easy, kept getting turned or replaced
' Then a TSB was released and new style rotors fixed the issue'

3.) P0101 code - Not Maf, they replaced Maf and code came on while leaving deal again
' but now after digging, there is a TSB/ Issue with Actuator '

4.) As heard from others. Back brakes have groves on inside of rotors both sides
' i got the only pair of rear rotors in the states at moment, but cant get correct pads, dealer covered '

5.) Tranny was whining and dealer said it was tires or my intake ' haha, NO'
I chewed out the head tech and manager to put it on a lift in gear, confirmed was tranny.
as dealer was pulling tranny out, i got a call saying there is another SS/TC in there with same issue ' they have both trannys apart trying to figure out what ' bearing i should say' took a ****.

6.) Shifter cables broke for the 2nd time. GM is releasing new cables as this is a problem with alot of TC's. Shifter cables are no where to be found, pushed the issue with GM Corp. and the dealer removed a set from new car

7.) There are a few other small issues but none that havent been taking car of and fixed asap.

So what isses have you ss/tc owners had? and what parts can your dealer not get from GM due to them having none aval. and have to put a back case out on them
Old 12-25-2008, 04:13 PM

no problems with mine except the charge piping but my car is stock, is youre car heavy modded if its runnin 12.7
Old 12-25-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Darkfuzion
no problems with mine except the charge piping but my car is stock, is youre car heavy modded if its runnin 12.7
no, its getting there. just waiting on turbo.

my car is light sub 2600 with me and 1/2 tank. most people never know that. im doing it clean . taking a long time to get things done. its not just removing items. its more about replacing with lighter.

doing some SSR wheels next. save another 40lbs of dead weight there plus less rotating mass.

My goal is to run 12.00 with turbo and meth. and thats it. done. street driving and plus the wife has falling in love with the car lol
Old 12-25-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by choko

my car is light sub 2600 with me and 1/2 tank. most people never know that. im doing it clean . taking a long time to get things done. its not just removing items. its more about replacing with lighter.

doing some SSR wheels next. save another 40lbs of dead weight there plus less rotating mass.

My goal is to run 12.00 with turbo and meth. and thats it. done. street driving and plus the wife has falling in love with the car lol
awww cmon u gotta break a mid 11 for us

i haven't had anything serious happen, shifter cable wasn't clipped in properly and found that within the first 3 days of owning it, clipped it back in and it's been good since, the charge piping of course but i came up with the DIY ziptie ftw fix till i get better charge piping. My rear rotors are warping too, i think i'm gunna goto the dealer and have them note this on my file incase they take a dump anytime in the near future. btw, hawk has rear pads for us and EBC has front/rear rotors for us.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1WhiteSSTC
awww cmon u gotta break a mid 11 for us

i haven't had anything serious happen, shifter cable wasn't clipped in properly and found that within the first 3 days of owning it, clipped it back in and it's been good since, the charge piping of course but i came up with the DIY ziptie ftw fix till i get better charge piping. My rear rotors are warping too, i think i'm gunna goto the dealer and have them note this on my file incase they take a dump anytime in the near future. btw, hawk has rear pads for us and EBC has front/rear rotors for us.
12.00 here i mean CO. 6000ft up average 10,000 DA

heheh
Old 12-26-2008, 03:18 PM

So what isses have you ss/tc owners had? and what parts can your dealer not get from GM due to them having none aval. and have to put a back case out on them
Well I have ~500 miles on my car and it seems to be leaking boost...

IDK what it is, but I think its the recirculation valve. It starts to build boost then it starts a whistling noise from the right side, I think... If I floor it in 5th at like 50 it builds boost just fine and seems to hold it, but if i say downshift into 3rd it builds up and starts whistling and makes no real power...

Still hits ~15 psi, but something is clearly wrong
Old 12-26-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm surprised anything is being coverd under warranty since you have had it at the track and have mod'd it....
Old 12-27-2008, 01:14 PM

So your car doesn't for 12.7 or 120+ like it says in your sig?

Old 12-27-2008, 01:29 PM

I had recieved a letter from my Service Department saying that it is natural for High peformance rotors to have it. I will put a post up with the letter later.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by FakeWhiteMan
Well I have ~500 miles on my car and it seems to be leaking boost...

IDK what it is, but I think its the recirculation valve. It starts to build boost then it starts a whistling noise from the right side, I think... If I floor it in 5th at like 50 it builds boost just fine and seems to hold it, but if i say downshift into 3rd it builds up and starts whistling and makes no real power...

Still hits ~15 psi, but something is clearly wrong
I've never hit over 14psi and recently, since i havent been pushing the car because i know the frame is bent. I tried pushing it with launch control the past couple of days and it won't hit over like 12-13psi, am i leaking boost? How else can i tell?
Old 12-28-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by idlingmike
So your car doesn't for 12.7 or 120+ like it says in your sig?
12.7 was with nitrous.

no nitrous now. larger turbo and some meth possibly.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:36 AM

3,500 miles

-rear rotors are grinding.
-front brakes squeal at the end of light/slow stops
-On cold startups..occasionaly get a loud sound like a piece of paper placed in a fan with the blades slapping it. (in the engine bay and only lasts a couple seconds)
- On cold startup..(only noticed once) get a metallicy high pitch sound like two metal wheels rolling/grinding on each other. Ended when the rpms dropped and the classic tick tick sound of the direct injection kicked in. Sounds like the turbo is about to blow. eeekk

regardless of the issues I still love my car
Old 12-30-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by SSBalt
3,500 miles

-rear rotors are grinding.
-front brakes squeal at the end of light/slow stops
-On cold startups..occasionaly get a loud sound like a piece of paper placed in a fan with the blades slapping it. (in the engine bay and only lasts a couple seconds)
- On cold startup..(only noticed once) get a metallicy high pitch sound like two metal wheels rolling/grinding on each other. Ended when the rpms dropped and the classic tick tick sound of the direct injection kicked in. Sounds like the turbo is about to blow. eeekk

regardless of the issues I still love my car
Totally have the same ******* problem, my brakes are squealing at slow stops really loud and i get that same grinding sound before the ticking, including the clunking sound in the fan. after a curb accident, they "fixed" my suspension and this **** still happens, but im beginning to believe none of these things have to do with the accident. Have you hit anything? I know my frame is bent.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Curious to see everyones issues they had with there 08+ SS/TC.

Ill start
' Other then some of the small issues the car has, its funny i was contacted by a laywer confirming my car fits under lemon law replacement. To much cosmetic and time in the car to start over..

1.) Since day one i got the car, keeps burning up the fuse block and horn
' Was in the shop 6 times for it, and never fixed correct at multiple dealers '

2.) Front rotors warping very easy, kept getting turned or replaced
' Then a TSB was released and new style rotors fixed the issue'

3.) P0101 code - Not Maf, they replaced Maf and code came on while leaving deal again
' but now after digging, there is a TSB/ Issue with Actuator '

4.) As heard from others. Back brakes have groves on inside of rotors both sides
' i got the only pair of rear rotors in the states at moment, but cant get correct pads, dealer covered '

5.) Tranny was whining and dealer said it was tires or my intake ' haha, NO'
I chewed out the head tech and manager to put it on a lift in gear, confirmed was tranny.
as dealer was pulling tranny out, i got a call saying there is another SS/TC in there with same issue ' they have both trannys apart trying to figure out what ' bearing i should say' took a ****.

6.) Shifter cables broke for the 2nd time. GM is releasing new cables as this is a problem with alot of TC's. Shifter cables are no where to be found, pushed the issue with GM Corp. and the dealer removed a set from new car

7.) There are a few other small issues but none that havent been taking car of and fixed asap.

yea, i had that same whining, i was going to bring it in for service on a wednesday the 24th but the trans stripped EVERYTHING! inside it on the that monday the 21st, they ordered me a new trans and the said delivery date is friday with an install time of approx 5hrs.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 PM

I think I know why your trans broke.

12.7 was with nitrous.

no nitrous now. larger turbo and some meth possibly.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why did it break?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:56 AM

what is breaking on these is not cause of power.

its a bearing on case cover side .
seen a STOCK car ss/tc's tranny go south

-Jeremi
Old 01-01-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Toolism
Totally have the same ******* problem, my brakes are squealing at slow stops really loud and i get that same grinding sound before the ticking, including the clunking sound in the fan. after a curb accident, they "fixed" my suspension and this **** still happens, but im beginning to believe none of these things have to do with the accident. Have you hit anything? I know my frame is bent.

No accidents yet.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:12 AM

shifter cable snapped on mine //// i replace it with a zip tie works WAYY better

my rear rotors squeek like hell when its cold

and the biggest one the shitty charge piping moving freely