Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

09' Cobalt SS/TC radio issue!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 09' Cobalt SS/TC radio issue!

Ok so when i bought my ss/tc the radio had a big scratch on the front of the glass, so they ordered me a new radio and put it in today. Well i got the car back now the chimes and the radio are freaking loud. 1/4 volume on the radio is like 1/2 or 3/4 way up. And the chimes are loud and the blinker noise is louder then the radio lol so i have to wait till next week to see whats up.

So what you guys think?
Old 05-09-2009, 08:24 PM

Bump nobody had this issue?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Well apparently i got another radio from a different supplier and there is no program to adjust the volume on my new radio. This **** is annoying, any one have an opinion on what i should do?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:49 AM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats sucks! It would get on my nerves aswell.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:29 PM

Picked up the car tonight and i am waiting for the program so just an fyi for anyone who is getting a new radio better wait till they get the volume software in before they switch them out!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 PM

just go get yourself a double din head unit
Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Gestapo007
just go get yourself a double din head unit
I hate when people say things like this. The stock radio was made to work. Many people are fine with the stock radio, under warranty it should be fixed and saying "get a aftermarket HU" is a non productive response.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe
I hate when people say things like this. The stock radio was made to work. Many people are fine with the stock radio, under warranty it should be fixed and saying "get a aftermarket HU" is a non productive response.
X2 or can make the ******* dealer buy me a double din since they fucked it up
Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 PM

wow. little over reaction. If its a warrenty issue then bitch to your dealer. theres nothing I can physically do to fix your radio chimes. All i was saying is that apparently double din decks fit in the cobalt and you can get yourself a nice one if you are getting tired of that chime. other than that, tell the dealer they fucked up
Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 PM

Well the General manager of the my dealer is on teh service managers ass, and well they cant seem to fix the issue and the car only has 900 miles on it!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Damn dude. calm down... it's not even your thread. And your response is non-productive either.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by KillerBee
Well the General manager of the my dealer is on teh service managers ass, and well they cant seem to fix the issue and the car only has 900 miles on it!
i wonder why the chimes are that loud. Does the entire radio play loud or just the chimes?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by KillerBee
Yeah... some delaer don't want to deal with the issue and they will just say "ohh we can't fix it." Just try some other dealer, I'm pretty sure someone will work better with you

i wonder why the chimes are that loud. Does the entire radio play loud or just the chimes?
It sounds like an electronic issue. I have an aftermarket HU and the harness I used has a pontiometer, which controls the loudness of the chimes and the radio's sound as well. Maybe it has one built in the OEM HU.

Last edited by drop-n-destroy; 05-18-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-18-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by drop-n-destroy
Damn dude. calm down... it's not even your thread. And your response is non-productive either.
lol besides making a post to state that my post was unproductive. My original post was. I said " under warranty it should be fixed". Which means the OP should return to the dealer and make them fix it until its at stock working spec.

I didnt mean to come off as harsh, but trying to get a stock part warrantied, the solution shouldnt be buy aftermarket, unless the OP said "to fix this I want aftermarket".
Old 05-18-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by drop-n-destroy
Yeah... some delaer don't want to deal with the issue and they will just say "ohh we can't fix it." Just try some other dealer, I'm pretty sure someone will work better with you

It sounds like an electronic issue. I have an aftermarket HU and the harness I used has a pontiometer, which controls the loudness of the chimes and the radio's sound as well. Maybe it has one built in the OEM HU.
There is a software that controls the chime volume and blinker volume. They all are set to high on factory settings. There are suppose to be software that fixes the volume issue and they software has not been developed yet. So with that being said there is nothign they can do for me. I am going to tell them to keep the care and give me another one or i will take a free stage kit when they come out. I have only had the car 2 weeks.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:14 PM

lol besides making a post to state that my post was unproductive. My original post was. I said " under warranty it should be fixed". Which means the OP should return to the dealer and make them fix it until its at stock working spec.

I didnt mean to come off as harsh, but trying to get a stock part warrantied, the solution shouldnt be buy aftermarket, unless the OP said "to fix this I want aftermarket".
True.. but it is a hassel constantly returning to the dealership just so they can say "sorry, we can't fix your problem." That justs irrates me and that's why I hate going to the dealership to get warranty work done. I would just call GM and ask for the money it costs to get a new radio. Then get an aftermarket
Old 05-18-2009, 02:16 PM

Yes the radio plays a lot louder too. I cant even turn it up half way it sounds like **** and the speakers sound like they are goign to blow!

The car is only 2 weeks old

Last edited by KillerBee; 05-18-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-18-2009, 02:23 PM

Oh I know all about having to return to a dealer to get something mundane fixed. Except my dealer is 2 hours (150 miles) away. So its even a bigger PIA, specially since my 36k warranty is up in 1k miles. I have a squeaky downpipe thing...driving me nuts. anyway... Do you have another dealer to can visit?

Ah so the new HU was made by a different supplier? Wouldnt the new 09 cars have that problem then? Have you taken the HU out yourself yet?

Sorry for hijacking, trolling etc. but I am sorta looking at getting a 2008 SS so thats why I was in the "issues" thread seeing what the main problems people were having with the new SS's.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:33 PM

Oh I know all about having to return to a dealer to get something mundane fixed. Except my dealer is 2 hours (150 miles) away. So its even a bigger PIA, specially since my 36k warranty is up in 1k miles. I have a squeaky downpipe thing...driving me nuts. anyway... Do you have another dealer to can visit?

Ah so the new HU was made by a different supplier? Wouldnt the new 09 cars have that problem then? Have you taken the HU out yourself yet?

Sorry for hijacking, trolling etc. but I am sorta looking at getting a 2008 SS so thats why I was in the "issues" thread seeing what the main problems people were having with the new SS's.
No let me clarify something so nobody is confused. I had the origianl hu in the car when i got it and it worked fine. The switched mine out because it had a huge scratch on it. Well the tech switch it out with out even considering the chimes and how loud they are. And yes the new production or replacement radios come from another supplier and there is no software for them to fix the volume. The blinker noise is so loud i could have the radio half way up and still hear the blinker. But its not a laughing matter. I have 3/4 death in my left ear because of my millitary service, when the chimes go off they make my ear ring bad. So i currently cant drive the car until its fixed. I am so pissed off right now. I told them I am tired of this. And another thing there is still undercoating spray on my car they sealed the paint with it on there, how ******* dumb are these people. I had droped the car off for 2 days to get it washed and fix and all they did was buff out a small scratch.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:50 PM

there has to be a fix, specially if they are using the new HU's in the new models of the cobalt. Do you still have your old HU or does the dealer? Have them put the old one in until they can remedy a new one.

mmm your dealer and my dealer sound related idk how they can be so dumb, but its like the dont even care about anyones car and just want customers to "settle" on things... I didnt pay $20-25k to settle on a new car..jackasses.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 PM

there has to be a fix, specially if they are using the new HU's in the new models of the cobalt. Do you still have your old HU or does the dealer? Have them put the old one in until they can remedy a new one.

mmm your dealer and my dealer sound related idk how they can be so dumb, but its like the dont even care about anyones car and just want customers to "settle" on things... I didnt pay $20-25k to settle on a new car..jackasses.
My point exactly. No on the radio thing they sent it back already. Mind you this was 2 weeks ago they switched it out. My car is an 09 and the 09 radios wont work!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 AM

Well looks like i may be getting a free stage kit since they cant fix this issue!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:09 PM

Hey it would be hard to turn down a free stage kit If you found the pin or something for that ding you could maybe put a potentiometer on it and turn down the sound...idk how the HU works in conjunction with the ding/blinkers though. You should ask another dealers tech's or advisor if they have seen that issue. Maybe tom at CED?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Hey it would be hard to turn down a free stage kit If you found the pin or something for that ding you could maybe put a potentiometer on it and turn down the sound...idk how the HU works in conjunction with the ding/blinkers though. You should ask another dealers tech's or advisor if they have seen that issue. Maybe tom at CED?
Well these guys are good. I have faith in them, they never did me wrong ever. They have a GM rep coming out today and to see if they can do somethign about. They are hoping they can turn it off until the software is developed.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:11 PM

Another update:

Well looks like they are going to try and switch out another radio out of a car on their lot. So there is no fix for this issue. GM has had over 20 issues with this same thing. The gave me a 2009 Impala for a rental

Quick Reply: 09' Cobalt SS/TC radio issue!