Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2006 SS Traction Control and Check Engine lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2006 SS Traction Control and Check Engine lights

I bought a 2006 SS about a month and a half ago and periodically i would get the traction control light coming on and the car would shift hard. It would stay on for a while but it would usually go off when i turn the car off and let it sit for a minute. My check engine light would also come on sometimes and stay on for a day or so and turn off on its own. I was never sure what was causing either one, but i think i figured it out...

I have been driving a couple days without either coming on and i realized the lights have only come on when i had almost a full tank of gas. When theres less than 5/8s in the tank the lights dont come on. Has anyone else had this same thing happen and does anyone know how to fix it, i like having a full tank of gas :/
Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yessir apparently thats a common problem with 06 2.4s. There can be alot of different things that it could be. What fixed mine was replacing the intake camshaft solenoid and the map sensor. What code is it that you are getting?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 PM

i checked the code a couple weeks ago, i cant remember it but i think it was P0010...or something like that...alot of 0's and a 1
Old 08-17-2012, 04:42 PM

i dont know a whole lot about cars is there any way you could give me a quick walkthrough on how to change those id really appreciate it.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:41 PM

its pretty easy you just untighten the bolt holding it down and turn it and pull out...i think..there was a walkthrough i used too but it was so easy i felt stupid after lol ill post it later when i get on my mac
Old 08-18-2012, 12:11 AM

I have that same problem too... i took mine to get checked out at autozone and they couldn't even tell me what it was
Old 08-18-2012, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by tamez01
I have that same problem too... i took mine to get checked out at autozone and they couldn't even tell me what it was
I'd rather have my 3 year old nephew try to diagnose something on my car than taking it to autozone...
Old 08-18-2012, 02:40 AM

Ok I guess I didnt save the thread which showed pics and told me how to switch my sensor out but uhh I found this in a thread I had bookmarked. Pretty much tells you what to do.

Originally Posted by bbowman2002
I don't have any pic but I would be more than happy to explain how to replace them....
If you remove the plastic cover on the engine and look on top of the valve cover. You will see four coil packs that lead to the spark plugs. To the passenger side u will see two sensors and if you look at the valve cover you will see int and ext. That shows you the intake and exhaust sensors. There is a 10mm bolt holding them in. Remove that bolt and take a screw driver and pry up on the plastic that the wiring harness plugs into and the sensor. FYI these sensors are impregrnated in oil so have a rag ready. Make sure the o ring came out with the sensor. Do one at a time one sensor will have a black top and the other silver. That's pretty much it that I did for my 06 2.4l... Hope this helps and if u have any questions please feel free to ask and I'll help how ever I can...
Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 AM

thanks for the info i cant wait to try it. hope it works! lol
Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Twoozofjuice
Yessir apparently thats a common problem with 06 2.4s. There can be alot of different things that it could be. What fixed mine was replacing the intake camshaft solenoid and the map sensor. What code is it that you are getting?
is the intake camshaft solenoid and camshaft position sensor the same thing? probably a stupid question...
Old 08-18-2012, 11:58 AM

no its not but when I was getting that code that you are getting it had nothing to do with the camshaft position sensor. I was going to buy it since thats what autozone suggested(i was way more of a noob at the time) but i did some more research and found out its usually the solenoids so i tried the intake one first and it fixed it coming on randomly but it would still come on when I would punch it. Found out that was because my map sensor was messed up which I switched when I went sc
Old 08-24-2012, 02:01 PM

For anybody that has had issues with the T/C light and the check engine light coming on here is a few tips that may help. My 2006 cobalt was kicking on the T/C light and that would then make the car start to "Hard Shift"...So I went to an auto parts store and replaced the camshaft position sensor and had no luck with that. So I then started looking at the cam solonoid actuator. There is (2) solonoid actuators one for exhaust and the other for intake. I purchased and replaced the actuators today and sure enough that fixed the issue. I had a very hard time finding the solonoids and had to go through a dealer due to local part stores not carrying the parts. They run around $50.00 each. Hope this helps