Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2008 SS/TC failed Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Where's The Cruze SS?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you guys clean the fittings when you regrease them?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 PM

I wipe it down with a rag before and after I dont use any solvents if thats what you mean
Old 03-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Where's The Cruze SS?
Platinum Member

That's what I did when I installed them, was just checking.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leemanfor
Update

So im pissed. I took it to the Chevy dealer and they told me the alignment was off and the camber was off. They needed to grind down the strut to even it out. I told them that's fine since they can't dyno it anyway. I ordered new Moog end links from O'reiley's and was going to pick them up after work.

My oil filter cap has been leaking and its only 15 bucks from them, so i Told them to just change the oil filter cap. she said ok.

I get there. they did an oil change, I had JUST done an oil change on Sunday so that was a waste of 30 bucks. got a new oil filter cap.

225 bucks for oil change, alignment and grinding down my strut for camber. Positive is the car actually feels great. I declined their replacement of end links for 300 bucks. I've done it before.

Drive over to the Emissions place. Guy notices I have 40 size tires. Says they don't dyno 40 size tires because it can damage the rims. and they will have me pull off to the side and do the sniffer test. I passed it fine.

Spent 300 bucks for no ******* reason. Oh well, guess I can replace the endlinks now and the car doesn't pull anymore.
Alignment is always going to be off camber wise when you lower your car, thats a given, it just depends on how much. I would never grind down the strut to try to even out the camber angle, its not going to hurt anything. Toe is what you should really be looking at but I have a feeling your toe is fine on your car, id like to see the actual alignment sheet first before hand. Sucks that they beat you over th ehead like that but thats why I never, ever, take my car to a stealership.

As far as the wondering goes, your sway bar end links arent going to cause the car to wander, ESPECIALLY not on the dyno. The only thing that would cause the car to wander that badly would be the end links on your steering rack, inner/outer. But a simple tug on the inners and inspection of the ball joints on the outers will tell you if you have issues there.

Sounds like your emissions places are scamming people, 40 size tires will not damage rims, in fact 40 size tires comes stock on alot of vehicles with larger wheels from the factory, there is nothing out of the ordinary about this. Is this a public emission testing place or is it all private testing in the state of colorado?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
lol/ I am surprised the moogs failed. the grease nipples are really not very well attached and do break off
powergrids. last for ever. Notice the OP's cabs are still good lol. sad you got rpped on an oil hcange I do mine the only drawback for DIY is getting rid of the oil/ I save it and then recycle it
glad you passed the e test OP~!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spawne32
Alignment is always going to be off camber wise when you lower your car, thats a given, it just depends on how much. I would never grind down the strut to try to even out the camber angle, its not going to hurt anything. Toe is what you should really be looking at but I have a feeling your toe is fine on your car, id like to see the actual alignment sheet first before hand. Sucks that they beat you over th ehead like that but thats why I never, ever, take my car to a stealership.
True that dropping / raising the car makes a visible impact on the camber, you're not feeling that on the road. The instability (and insane inner tire wear) comes from the change in toe which is why the Cobalt should be aligned asap after any change in ride height.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Spawne32

As far as the wondering goes, your sway bar end links arent going to cause the car to wander, ESPECIALLY not on the dyno. The only thing that would cause the car to wander that badly would be the end links on your steering rack, inner/outer. But a simple tug on the inners and inspection of the ball joints on the outers will tell you if you have issues there.

Sounds like your emissions places are scamming people, 40 size tires will not damage rims, in fact 40 size tires comes stock on alot of vehicles with larger wheels from the factory, there is nothing out of the ordinary about this. Is this a public emission testing place or is it all private testing in the state of colorado?
well after getting the car aligned at the dealership and getting the camber fixed there is no more tug. Which kind of annoys me cause I took it to Firestone since I have their lifetime alignment and they said they did an alignment too.

This was a public place. the only emissions place in the state
Old 03-28-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, in Firestone's defense an alignment and cutting your struts are two different things. Camber is not adjustable on this car. I also question the effect camber had on your handling as I was lowered on the exact same springs and put over 40k miles on a set of Bridgestone RE760 summer tires with no abnormal wear or handling issues.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Banned

Yeah I dont know. I haven't had any handling issues until about a month ago when i noticed the tugging.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:40 PM

well after getting the car aligned at the dealership and getting the camber fixed there is no more tug. Which kind of annoys me cause I took it to Firestone since I have their lifetime alignment and they said they did an alignment too.

This was a public place. the only emissions place in the state
Do you have a copy of the alignment sheet that the dealer gave you, and would you be willing to take a picture of what they actually did to the strut? You said your on CM springs right? I am curious about how off your camber was. I also have CM springs on my car and it sits fairly low now that they have settled in, took my car for an alignment oh...2-3 months ago because the toe was way off from when I bought the car. But the camber was NOT out of spec by no means. -1.3 in the front and -0.7 in the rear, with a minor error on the pass rear which i assume has to do with the position of the alignment tool more then anything, since they dont touch the rear.

I see no reason why they s hould have had to touch the strut at all, heres a copy of my alignment sheet on CM springs. This is on a SS/NA with FE3 suspension, but should be exactly the same.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Banned

I do, I will post it up when I get home since I am at work currently
Old 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM

I do, I will post it up when I get home since I am at work currently
the end links you replaced, were they the sway bar end links or the tie rod end links?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Banned

sway bar endlinks.

and just from looking at your picture my camber was way off compared to yours
Old 03-28-2014, 01:50 PM

sway bar endlinks.

and just from looking at your picture my camber was way off compared to yours
Doesnt make any sense to me, sway bar end links are not something I see causing any sort of wandering, they are only under extreme pressure in cornering, with the car flat on the dyno the sway bar should have little to no tension on it (depending on the link). If you had said the joints on your tie rod ends were loose or worn then it would make perfect sense as the wheel would be wondering in any direction without the steering wheel actually moving. I am curious to see what exactly they did and how your alignment sheet looked, cant imagine for the life of me why your camber would be so much different.