Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2008 SS/TC Problems watch out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 SS/TC Problems watch out!!!

Hows everyone doin I'm a new member but I want to inform everyone of some problems I have had with my new TC balt I had 4275 miles on it a month ago when the problems started I was spinning water off the tires finished and the check engine light turned on the DIC said ENGINE POWER REDUCED I didnt do anything crazy so I was like ok what ever I the tree drops and I go or I thought I was going to go anyways I ran a 30 sec 1/4 mile it felt like the car had no turbo and 1 cylinder so the next day chevy tows my car fix the problem it was some cheap tube somewhere had snapped sorry no more info on that. well they fix that take it on a test drive and smell something burning bring it back in put it on a lift and see trans fluid comming out the bottom refill and as soon as they put trans fluid in it comes out find a straight line crack in the bell housing GM doesnt make parts for the trans and no extras for warrenties are avail yet and the trans is made by SAAB so they have to pull it off the assembly line that took 3 weeks to get in the mean time I told them of something that happened once I just got gas and was driving my gauge dropped from full to empty in 2 sec i pulled over to make sure I didnt have a huge hole in the tank I didnt, turned the car on still read empty so I took off with the gas to the floor and used the no lift shift and as soon as i hit 2nd the fuel gauge came alive again and read full so long story short GM replaced the transmission, fuel pump, fuel module, the cheap plastic tube, and some more crap i dont have the repair order in front of me but chevy told me it was just over 10 GRAND in repairs for parts and labor so watch out and have fun with your TC balt
Old 10-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned

You cracked your bellhousing at the track. They shouldn't have given you a new transmission at all; should have been flagged as abuse and denied.

I hate "omg the car is flawed because I broke it" posts. You took it to a track - **** breaks. Cars are not built to be bullet proof against every fool who thinks it's a drag racing machine.

Last edited by Dainslaif; 10-29-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dainslaif
You cracked your bellhousing at the track. They shouldn't have given you a new transmission at all; should have been flagged as abuse and denied.

I hate "omg the car is flawed because I broke it" posts. You took it to a track - **** breaks. Cars are not built to be bullet proof against every fool who thinks it's a drag racing machine.
yeah that...

and the pros often break stuff too and inspect, replace, or rebuild on a regular basis.

Track = **** breaks sometimes
Old 10-29-2008, 01:49 PM

whoa whoa whoa

Lets get something straight I know things break I love the car all I am saying is the GM engineers did over 600 burnouts and launch control tests with 1 test car and it held so there was a manufacuring flaw somewhere I know how to drive and this problem hasnt occered with me before and it pays to have friends within GM I appreciate all they did for me
Old 10-29-2008, 01:55 PM

wow..... The car is designed to handle abuse. 4250, 1 time at the track and the tranny takes a sh*t? Sounds to me like bad parts, not negligence. You should be bale to peel around corners, spin the tires, and beat the hell out of it at those miles without problem. Now when you reach 50k+ miles, then Id say start taking it easy on her, but thats not valid yet.

Originally Posted by Zander916
yeah that...

and the pros often break stuff too and inspect, replace, or rebuild on a regular basis.

Track = **** breaks sometimes
not at less than 5k miles..... Theres something worng there.

Last edited by 1BADSS/SC; 10-29-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 PM

The ss/tc is supposed to be a performance car, if GM would realize that performance cars need good transmissions they wouldn't have this problem, the same thing happened with alot of the ss/sc's.

I agree racing puts alot more stress on the car, but in stock form (i dont know if his is stock or not) it should be able to go down the 1/4 mile without it breaking.

This is all just IMO though.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:59 PM

yes there is something wrong, i hate chevys way of doing things. "quantity over quality"
Old 10-29-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
No... the track is WAY different than the street. A lot more stressful. All it will take is one bad case of wheel hop and goodbye transmission. You're incredibly lucky they are fixing it under warranty.

The SS T/C ain't no ******* performance car, get that out of your heads. It's a sport-oriented economy car. It is NOT by any means made for the track. Same with the SC... stop calling it a performance/sports car. It's a Cobalt people.

If you want to bring your car to the strip and beat the hell out of it, fine. But at least buy some proper equipment. The OEM 18's are NOT proper equipment to bring to the track... yet people still wonder why they break **** when they use the OEM wheels and tires. LOL. Buy some DR's and steelies or lightweight wheels.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
No... the track is WAY different than the street. A lot more stressful. All it will take is one bad case of wheel hop and goodbye transmission. You're incredibly lucky they are fixing it under warranty.

The SS T/C ain't no ******* performance car, get that out of your heads. It's a sport-oriented economy car. It is NOT by any means made for the track. Same with the SC... stop calling it a performance/sports car. It's a Cobalt people.

If you want to bring your car to the strip and beat the hell out of it, fine. But at least buy some proper equipment. The OEM 18's are NOT proper equipment to bring to the track... yet people still wonder why they break **** when they use the OEM wheels and tires. LOL.
this isnt true. There are plenty of SS/SC's and SS/TC's that havent broken at the track, and push power levels far exceeding a stock SS/TC's power levels. In addition the transmission in those cars is rated at 350+ wtq. I seriously doubt his car is making that much power. His car has some faulty equipment in it is all.

Also, wheelhop tends to destroy the axels, not the tranny. I believe they fixed the wheelhop issues in the SS/TC
Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM

their is no doubt that the ss's are rather cheaply made, hence the little noise here and there, gear grinding going into reverse etc. these things have happened to people with less than a thousand miles on the car, many people on this site will agree
Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
this isnt true. There are plenty of SS/SC's and SS/TC's that havent broken at the track, and push power levels far exceeding a stock SS/TC's power levels. In addition the transmission in those cars is rated at 350+ wtq. I seriously doubt his car is making that much power. His car has some faulty equipment in it is all.

Also, wheelhop tends to destroy the axels, not the tranny. I believe they fixed the wheelhop issues in the SS/TC
They got lucky, or they have proper tires on the front. No joke, all it takes is one bad hop to trash the tranny. Especially at a sticky track. Usually the axle will snap before the tranny casing cracks but with the beefed up axles on the TC I am beginning to wonder if they are allowing the tranny to give out before the axles now.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:11 PM

They got lucky, or they have proper tires on the front. No joke, all it takes is one bad hop to trash the tranny. Especially at a sticky track. Usually the axle will snap before the tranny casing cracks but with the beefed up axles on the TC I am beginning to wonder if they are allowing the tranny to give out before the axles now.
Lets hope not. There will be a lot of pissed GM owners if thats the case. Im glad I didnt buy a SS/TC after hearing all these problems. I had enough issues with my SS/SC, I couldnt imagine climbing into the SS/TC with a whole new set of problems.

5700 miles, and not one issue here...
Old 10-29-2008, 02:12 PM

If you want to bring your car to the strip and beat the hell out of it, fine. But at least buy some proper equipment. The OEM 18's are NOT proper equipment to bring to the track... yet people still wonder why they break **** when they use the OEM wheels and tires. LOL. Buy some DR's and steelies or lightweight wheels.
then dont put 260hp in a sports oriented economy car if it cant launch at a track. i dont think the ss/tc is gods gift to cars as most do on this site for that very reason, in fact, i dislike it personally. ive have been saying since they annouced they were building it a year ago and using the f35 still that it wouldnt hold up when ss/sc's were breaking at alittle over the stock numbers of the ss/tc.

what does GM think people are going to do? "ohh look i got this quick car, its turbocharged, it has no lift shift and launch control. im not going to use any of that though, im just going to put around town like an old man." heck no they know very well people are going to use it for what it was made for, to be fun and quick.

if its not meant to ever go down the 1/4 mile they shouldnt let any of the magazines do tests on it.

Did you see the thread for the stage kits? 315hp and it didnt state tq. if GM wants to put out an economy car that is capable of handling that much horsepower with a staged kit it should be able to launch at a track in stock form.

/rant.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
I believe they fixed the wheel hop issues in the SS/TC
So its RWD now? LOLOLOL
Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by JMAc88
So its RWD now? LOLOLOL
hehehe, wouldnt that be nice?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a performance car.... hmmm Turbo.. Performance.... Launch Control.... Hmmmm performance... Sport Tuned suspension.... Yah thats not a car built around performance...

Sorry to hear about your car man, hope it doenst happen to any others...
Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Banned

The track is HORRIBLE on cars .. Haven't you seen high HP FWD cars breaking trans axles and cv joints ALL THE TIME !! The track is sticky and I have seen some of the most "solid" cars on the track have one bad failure which went unkown and caused multiple and eventually catastrophic failure is eminent ...

He broke it ... LOL

Atleast it's fixed ..
Old 10-29-2008, 02:19 PM

also if you use the no lift shift at over 6000 rpms it will float the valves and the check engine light will blink or if you dont shift within the time limit of approx.3 sec i think it is the valves will float and the check engine light will stay on for approx 3 days with codes for a cylinder 3and 4 misfires
Old 10-29-2008, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by theimportkiller
also if you use the no lift shift at over 6000 rpms it will float the valves and the check engine light will blink or if you dont shift within the time limit of approx.3 sec i think it is the valves will float and the check engine light will stay on for approx 3 days with codes for a cylinder 3and 4 misfires
excellent. That sounds nice too
Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM

This thread is filling up with fail pretty quick.

Just because GM gave the thing 260hp and a few go-fast features doesn't make it a performance car. It's still Chevy's economy coupe (or sedan), just with a different drivetrain and uplevel-SS only features.

Get over yourselves.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by theimportkiller

Interesting didn't know bout the valves...
I have seen it flash at me missing a NLS but never the CEL stayed on???

any one else?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM

Just because GM gave the thing 260hp and a few go-fast features doesn't make it a performance car. It's still Chevy's economy coupe (or sedan), just with a different drivetrain and uplevel-SS only features.

Get over yourselves.
did you not read my post? or are you just ignoring it? im not saying its a dedicated performance car, but it is performance oriented and you cannot deny that. the ls and lt is chevys economy coupe, the ss is performance oriented.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Banned

I bought mine as a fun economy car .. "Shruggs Shoulders" any one else ?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get over yourselves.
except for the fact it is only 2 secs slower than a new Camaro SS around the ring. i guess that isnt performance, just an economy car with extra add ons and 260hp.

it also beats Porsche Cayman and BMW M3
Old 10-29-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by BowTieTillIdie
I bought mine as a fun economy car .. "Shruggs Shoulders" any one else ?
you should be able to have fun with it then, not have to baby it.

what do i know though, i have an lt

Quick Reply: 2008 SS/TC Problems watch out!!!