Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2008 SS/TC Problems watch out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismothecat
except for the fact it is only 2 secs slower than a new Camaro SS around the ring. i guess that isnt performance, just an economy car with extra add ons and 260hp.

it also beats Porsche Cayman and BMW M3
haha nicely put!
Old 10-29-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
It's a quick economy car is what it is.

Originally Posted by balt21
did you not read my post? or are you just ignoring it? im not saying its a dedicated performance car, but it is performance oriented and you cannot deny that. the ls and lt is chevys economy coupe, the ss is performance oriented.
That's what I said... lol.

Last edited by chris88z24; 10-29-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-29-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the OP made a pass in limp mode? Nobody else is alarmed by that?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
This thread is filling up with fail pretty quick.

Just because GM gave the thing 260hp and a few go-fast features doesn't make it a performance car. It's still Chevy's economy coupe (or sedan), just with a different drivetrain and uplevel-SS only features.

Get over yourselves.
The VERY FIRST information Chevy released about the PERFORMANCE of this car was the fact that was the fastest production FWD car around the nurburgring.

I dunno, maybe this thread wouldn't be happening if Chevy marketed how nice the seats were instead of the car's PERFORMANCE figures.

Then, how many magazines track tested this car, touting it as one of the best bang-for-the-buck PEFORMANCE cars out there?

Stock, the car should take almost everything you can throw at it. If Chevy expects me to buy this car and granny it, I might as well go buy a Honda Fit because what good is the 260hp and awesome handling good for otherwise?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:34 PM

hmm, well im about 270whp (more then a turbo SS) and I have been to the track say 15 times. Every time I ran atleast 4-5 times.

So lets say 75 runs down the track.

No broke Axles
No broke tranny
No broke engine
STILL HAVE STOCK CLUTCH
45,000 miles.....

Hmmm, in comparison, his 1 run down the track should not have killed his tranny. That was a pre-existing issue, and was a failure on GM's part.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Great68
The VERY FIRST information Chevy released about the PERFORMANCE of this car was the fact that was the fastest production FWD car around the nurburgring.

I dunno, maybe this thread wouldn't be happening if Chevy marketed how nice the seats were instead of the car's PERFORMANCE figures.

Then, how many magazines track tested this car, touting it as one of the best bang-for-the-buck PEFORMANCE cars out there?

Stock, the car should take almost everything you can throw at it. If Chevy expects me to buy this car and granny it, I might as well go buy a Honda Fit because what good is the 260hp and awesome handling good for otherwise?
It's for enjoying it when you have the right conditions and at the right time. If you rod anything it will break ... I don't care what it is whene ever moving parts are involved you have failures.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:48 PM

Not all cars are created equal. The tranny could have been a piece of **** while it was on the assembly line. Granted, taking your car to track is going to put more stress on it opposed to normal street driving, but the tranny shouldn't have grenaded from one or two times down the strip. If anything the clutch or axles should have given out. I currently drive a Neon srt-4 which I think is even more cheaply made than the Cobalt SS. I have beaten the SRT numerous times at the track on the stock clutch and still no problems. Chevy should then remove the GM Performance label under the hood if the car can't perform to stock numbers.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by theimportkiller
Lets get something straight I know things break I love the car all I am saying is the GM engineers did over 600 burnouts and launch control tests with 1 test car and it held so there was a manufacuring flaw somewhere I know how to drive and this problem hasnt occered with me before and it pays to have friends within GM I appreciate all they did for me
Your post mentions going through the water pits on the stock tires, which means you were doing burnouts or otherwise heating up your rubber. I have no doubt in my mind you were jackhammering your transmission all night long launching it.
This thread is filling up with fail pretty quick.

Just because GM gave the thing 260hp and a few go-fast features doesn't make it a performance car. It's still Chevy's economy coupe (or sedan), just with a different drivetrain and uplevel-SS only features.

Get over yourselves.
While I agree with most of your points, there's been people who have broken GT-R trannies because they were pushing their car at the drag strip.

Bottom line? Drag strips break **** regardless of how much a car costs. It's not a defect.

I'd love to know how handling or the Nurburgring has anything to do with a drag strip. >_>

If you manage to crack a tranny case on a road course or autox, I'll join you in bashing the cheap manufacturing. On the other hand, good luck finding a single instance of this happening. No car was ever designed or built to take everything you can throw at it. Even professional drag racers break parts - it's just the nature of the hobby.

Originally Posted by SRT2SS
Not all cars are created equal. The tranny could have been a piece of **** while it was on the assembly line. Granted, taking your car to track is going to put more stress on it opposed to normal street driving, but the tranny shouldn't have grenaded from one or two times down the strip. If anything the clutch or axles should have given out. I currently drive a Neon srt-4 which I think is even more cheaply made than the Cobalt SS. I have beaten the SRT numerous times at the track on the stock clutch and still no problems. Chevy should then remove the GM Performance label under the hood if the car can't perform to stock numbers.
He didn't grenade the tranny - he cracked the case. BIG difference. Anyone who knows these cars knows what will crack a tranny case.

Wheel hop. User error.

Last edited by Dainslaif; 10-29-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hows everyone doin I'm a new member but I want to inform everyone of some problems I have had with my new TC balt I had 4275 miles on it a month ago when the problems started I was spinning water off the tires finished and the check engine light turned on the DIC said ENGINE POWER REDUCED I didnt do anything crazy so I was like ok what ever I the tree drops and I go or I thought I was going to go anyways I ran a 30 sec 1/4 mile it felt like the car had no turbo and 1 cylinder so the next day chevy tows my car fix the problem it was some cheap tube somewhere had snapped sorry no more info on that. well they fix that take it on a test drive and smell something burning bring it back in put it on a lift and see trans fluid comming out the bottom refill and as soon as they put trans fluid in it comes out find a straight line crack in the bell housing GM doesnt make parts for the trans and no extras for warrenties are avail yet and the trans is made by SAAB so they have to pull it off the assembly line that took 3 weeks to get in the mean time I told them of something that happened once I just got gas and was driving my gauge dropped from full to empty in 2 sec i pulled over to make sure I didnt have a huge hole in the tank I didnt, turned the car on still read empty so I took off with the gas to the floor and used the no lift shift and as soon as i hit 2nd the fuel gauge came alive again and read full so long story short GM replaced the transmission, fuel pump, fuel module, the cheap plastic tube, and some more crap i dont have the repair order in front of me but chevy told me it was just over 10 GRAND in repairs for parts and labor so watch out and have fun with your TC balt
It sounds to me like your charge pipe broke near your high pressure fuel pump. When this happens the mount strikes the top of the pump and breaks it. You shoud never run your car hard in reduced power mode. It is there to protect the engine. You were not getting as much fuel as you were supposed to be getting. As for your tranny it never should have done that it was definately defective. I have a leaking sunroof that has been on order from GM for over a month now. so I feel for you on the waiting thing. My brakes squeal, I have a few rattles and a wheel balance issue. All cars have problems. Each of the last 5 cars I have owned have had their own set of problems. As long as I does not keep occuring and GM makes good on it why are you complaining?
Old 10-29-2008, 05:01 PM

It's a quick economy car is what it is.
economy car, well, not really. Economy cars are cars that get good gas milage regardless of driving style. If you romp on a toyota corolla, youll probly still get 23+ mpg. U do that in a SS/TC and youll be hard pressed to make 19...
Old 10-29-2008, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really? Huh then why does mine still say 24.5??
Old 10-29-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by balt21
The ss/tc is supposed to be a performance car, if GM would realize that performance cars need good transmissions they wouldn't have this problem, the same thing happened with alot of the ss/sc's.

I agree racing puts alot more stress on the car, but in stock form (i dont know if his is stock or not) it should be able to go down the 1/4 mile without it breaking.

This is all just IMO though.

But then if GM did go ahead to aaddress this problem and place a tough tranny then your cobalt would not have been the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK car that C&D, R&T named the SS to be.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind he broke it at the track. Or he wheel hopped in the rain or something. The majority of Cobalt cracked cases are from racing or hard driving.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:36 PM

You guys can argue about it all night, in the end any cobalt is still going to be an economy car.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:55 PM

^I dont think so.... My car reads 4 MPG when I stomp the gas... If thats economy then thats terrible... haha
Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Banned

And if you coast with no throttle it'll max out. Your point?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:00 PM

*shakes head*
Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 PM

i hate it when people dont use PERIODS
Old 10-29-2008, 07:16 PM

Hows everyone doin I'm a new member but I want to inform everyone of some problems I have had with my new TC balt I had 4275 miles on it a month ago when the problems started I was spinning water off the tires finished and the check engine light turned on the DIC said ENGINE POWER REDUCED I didnt do anything crazy so I was like ok what ever I the tree drops and I go or I thought I was going to go anyways I ran a 30 sec 1/4 mile it felt like the car had no turbo and 1 cylinder so the next day chevy tows my car fix the problem it was some cheap tube somewhere had snapped sorry no more info on that. well they fix that take it on a test drive and smell something burning bring it back in put it on a lift and see trans fluid comming out the bottom refill and as soon as they put trans fluid in it comes out find a straight line crack in the bell housing GM doesnt make parts for the trans and no extras for warrenties are avail yet and the trans is made by SAAB so they have to pull it off the assembly line that took 3 weeks to get in the mean time I told them of something that happened once I just got gas and was driving my gauge dropped from full to empty in 2 sec i pulled over to make sure I didnt have a huge hole in the tank I didnt, turned the car on still read empty so I took off with the gas to the floor and used the no lift shift and as soon as i hit 2nd the fuel gauge came alive again and read full so long story short GM replaced the transmission, fuel pump, fuel module, the cheap plastic tube, and some more crap i dont have the repair order in front of me but chevy told me it was just over 10 GRAND in repairs for parts and labor so watch out and have fun with your TC balt
Yeah, it's crap like this on top of the crap that already has happened with my SS/SC that makes me weary about getting the SS/TC...

Love the car to death and want to get it soo bad, but between this and some of the tranny issues and other things I'm hearing about the SS/TC it's sorta scaring me...

And whether he was at the track or not, with those miles (and I understand it happens...) but that shouldn't be happening...
Old 10-29-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dainslaif
You cracked your bellhousing at the track. They shouldn't have given you a new transmission at all; should have been flagged as abuse and denied.

I hate "omg the car is flawed because I broke it" posts. You took it to a track - **** breaks. Cars are not built to be bullet proof against every fool who thinks it's a drag racing machine.
Are you an ass everywhere you go 24 hours a day 7 days a week? why would you wish for someone to pay 6k out there pocket for 1 mistake , you got some issues you need to work on man.

ANyways to the op , you should be more careful how you drive the car and if gm was kind enough to pick up the tap for something that could partly be your fault , you should not come on here and make a thread with the title that says watch out tc owners if gives the impression that gm fucked up . the 2 of you are to blame for this mistake and just be thankful they fronted the bill and are not like nissan in the gtr situation .
Old 10-29-2008, 07:36 PM

I'd love to know how handling or the Nurburgring has anything to do with a drag strip. >_>
I'd love to know how the drag strip has anything to do with chris88z24's comments that the cobalt is not sold as performance car.

>_>

BTW: My current daily driver (Civic) wheel hops like a bitch. I have been relentless on the car, and transmission still shifts like new. It's not hard to design for worst case. I am an electrical engineer, I have to design for worst case scenarios, why couldn't GM?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 PM

Its not a sports car,or an economy car.Its a sport compact.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Banned

BTW: My current daily driver (Civic) wheel hops like a bitch. I have been relentless on the car, and transmission still shifts like new. It's not hard to design for worst case. I am an electrical engineer, I have to design for worst case scenarios, why couldn't GM?
Civics don't have anywhere near the torque that an SS/TC does, so you're comparing apples to potatoes. Also, how much have you dragged it?

Originally Posted by SS4EVER
And whether he was at the track or not, with those miles (and I understand it happens...) but that shouldn't be happening...
For comparison - 3 GT-R owners have blown their transmissions. 2 were at the track, 1 was about a week after a track day. The last guy was just going down the expressway and it grenaded. None of them had more than 7k miles.

If you take a car and beat the hell out of it, it will fail. You can't design a car so robust that nobody will break it.

Originally Posted by Darkmanx
Are you an ass everywhere you go 24 hours a day 7 days a week? why would you wish for someone to pay 6k out there pocket for 1 mistake , you got some issues you need to work on man.
1 mistake? Who knows how long he's been tracking his car? He could have been down there every week since he got it.

Considering he was going through the water pit, he obviously did not do any fact finding on how to properly drag a FWD car, thus I'm putting him in the same category as the other guy on here complaining about roasting his clutch under 10k.

He launched like a jackass, broke the car, and wrote a wall of very hard to read text blaming the manufacturer. Why should I be nice to this fool?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 PM

Civics don't have anywhere near the torque that an SS/TC does, so you're comparing apples to potatoes. Also, how much have you dragged it?

For comparison - 3 GT-R owners have blown their transmissions. 2 were at the track, 1 was about a week after a track day. The last guy was just going down the expressway and it grenaded. None of them had more than 7k miles.

If you take a car and beat the hell out of it, it will fail. You can't design a car so robust that nobody will break it.

1 mistake? Who knows how long he's been tracking his car? He could have been down there every week since he got it.

Considering he was going through the water pit, he obviously did not do any fact finding on how to properly drag a FWD car, thus I'm putting him in the same category as the other guy on here complaining about roasting his clutch under 10k.

He launched like a jackass, broke the car, and wrote a wall of very hard to read text blaming the manufacturer. Why should I be nice to this fool?
got any links to the GT-R trans breaking?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rissa
Really? Huh then why does mine still say 24.5??
reset ur mpg gauge, then romp on it the rest of the time u drive it. I can promise that u will get much less than 23 mpg.

Originally Posted by ptrblkz24
Its not a sports car,or an economy car.Its a sport compact.

this is the truest statment on this thread.

Last edited by 1BADSS/SC; 10-29-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: 2008 SS/TC Problems watch out!!!