Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2010 cobalt ss lunges when parkd

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 cobalt ss lunges when parkd

its happend to me 3 times so far. and ive never had this issue with any car befor

exp - parked in my driveway . parked in first. put e-brake up turnd ignition off removed key let out clutch and car jumped forward. almost like it would do per say if ur parked in first and u start the car with the ebrake down and without pressing the clutch not as violent but not far off.. i had the ebrake fully engaged . *no it wasnt the normal car bogging down when u let off the brake with the e-brake engaged"
Old 07-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Happens to my car too. The motor stops a little slow. Just wait a second longer and you'll feel the motor die, the you're good.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:12 AM

oh okay thanks. i just started thinking bout that. cause of the turbo or something the car motor cranks down slow or something? i cant remember i remember reading somthing bout it years ago lol.. thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 11:20 AM

just use ebraske n dont leave car in gear lol. what i do
Old 07-04-2010, 11:29 AM

That use to happen to me in my old civic then I started just keeping it in neutral with the ebrake up and I've never ecountered that problem since. Do it with my balt now.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:31 AM

the ebrake doesnt hold for **** on my car. even on a slight hill with it engaged fully the car drifts. i know because ive sat in it in N with the brake on listening to the radio and then realized oh f#ck im moving
Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 AM

i put it in first after its all off not before. i only do it cause my ebrake was loose once and the car slid so its a precaution thing i guess
Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I read that was jsut the engine turning over with the wheels position once the clutch is released... my Ebrake Sucks so i always put it in gear...
Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 AM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya you just gotta give it a few seconds for the engine to wind down.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:59 AM

best words of advice. Turn the car off in neutral, and let the engine come to a full stop. then just put it in whatever gear you use for "park." also use the ebrake.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Omega1x
best words of advice. Turn the car off in neutral, and let the engine come to a full stop. then just put it in whatever gear you use for "park." also use the ebrake.
This
Old 07-05-2010, 05:05 AM

thats what i do lol on an uphill i put it in first on a downhill i put it in reverse
Old 07-05-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A factory turbo charged engine USUALLY has lower compression than a NA. Of course that is with no boost = manifold VACUUM. Lower compression = turns easier = takes longer to stop turning.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by bobbyhill31286
the ebrake doesnt hold for **** on my car. even on a slight hill with it engaged fully the car drifts. i know because ive sat in it in N with the brake on listening to the radio and then realized oh f#ck im moving

Are they adjustable? Also, do you know if there's a "fifth" brake pad inside our rear rotors? My stratus was like that, had pads inside the rear disc.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Erick161

Are they adjustable? Also, do you know if there's a "fifth" brake pad inside our rear rotors? My stratus was like that, had pads inside the rear disc.
Yes, they are adjustable - there is a thread in the how to section. Very easy.

Sorry, no seperate pad for the park brake, it just pushes the piston out on the regular service brake. **** poor design but it saves the general a couple of bucks per car
Old 07-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sp33dyG
thats what i do lol on an uphill i put it in first on a downhill i put it in reverse
It's the same thing either way.....doesn't matter if you use first or reverse on either one.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Erick161

Thats called a drum-in-hat setup. It uses the inside of the rotor as a parking brake drum. It uses drum brake shoes, not pads, therefore there is no "5th set of pads". Its a set of parking brake shoes and hardware to hold them in place. However, the SS S/C and T/C do not uses that setup, they have the parking brake in the caliper.

Originally Posted by DaBuzzard

Sorry, no seperate pad for the park brake, it just pushes the piston out on the regular service brake. **** poor design but it saves the general a couple of bucks per car
If its such a **** poor design why do almost half of all cars with rear disc brakes uses this setup?? There is nothing inherently wrong with the design at all. Drum-in-hat parking brakes tend to hold better, but neither is necessarily better than the other.

And before you go and say "its cheaper", maybe you should know the facts first, because that is not necessarily true.

Last edited by 08SSTCRD; 07-05-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
Thats called a drum-in-hat setup. It uses the inside of the rotor as a parking brake drum. It uses drum brake shoes, not pads, therefore there is no "5th set of pads". Its a set of parking brake shoes and hardware to hold them in place. However, the SS S/C and T/C do not uses that setup, they have the parking brake in the caliper.

If its such a **** poor design why do almost half of all cars with rear disc brakes uses this setup?? There is nothing inherently wrong with the design at all. Drum-in-hat parking brakes tend to hold better, but neither is necessarily better than the other.

And before you go and say "its cheaper", maybe you should know the facts first, because that is not necessarily true.
Why not say it's cheaper - it is. Less parts, easier to assemble on the line = less cost, lower price to the consumer, more profit for the manufacturer.
Simple fact, GM (nor any of their competitors) will NOT do anything on their econobox which puts them at a competitive disadvantage to the other econoboxes on the market.
If you have "facts" to the contrary I would love to see them.

Why is it a bad design?
When you use your brakes, they get hot, right?
What happens to your brakes when they get hot? The rotor expands, the pads expand.
Park your car, pull on the park brake, let it sit. What happens now?
Everything cools off and contracts. As the parts contract, there is less clamping force applied to the rotor - the brakes back off and your car rolls down the driveway.

Real world test you can do yourself - get rolling down the road at a decent pace, say 40 - 50 mph. Apply the brake slightly and hold the pedal in the same position* - you will feel the braking becoming more effective as the brakes heat up and expand

*Don't carry this on for too long, don't want anyone warping rotors now
Old 07-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MentalmSS
its happend to me 3 times so far. and ive never had this issue with any car befor

exp - parked in my driveway . parked in first. put e-brake up turnd ignition off removed key let out clutch and car jumped forward. almost like it would do per say if ur parked in first and u start the car with the ebrake down and without pressing the clutch not as violent but not far off.. i had the ebrake fully engaged . *no it wasnt the normal car bogging down when u let off the brake with the e-brake engaged"
ya you need to wait to let the motor/clutch stop spinning. wait 3 seconds longer and it wont do that.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by DeepBlack SS
It's the same thing either way.....doesn't matter if you use first or reverse on either one.
Right....but for some reason people seem to think it matters. The gears really don't give a **** which way they rotate if the car starts rolling when the engine is shut off. All that matters is you use the lowest gear ratio your vehicle has (reverse or 1st, I use reverse) so there's as much restriction on that motor/tranny as possible, otherwise gravity will overcome the mechanical grip causing the motor to turn and your car ends up going down the hill if your e-brake fails.

To the OP yes people are correct, wait a few seconds for the motor to wind down, it'll happen on occasion if you forget about it . My 2.2 did the exact same thing if I was too quick to get off the clutch after shutting it off wouldn't say it's any better/worse in the TC, I'm just in the habit.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaBuzzard
Why not say it's cheaper - it is. Less parts, easier to assemble on the line = less cost, lower price to the consumer, more profit for the manufacturer.
Simple fact, GM (nor any of their competitors) will NOT do anything on their econobox which puts them at a competitive disadvantage to the other econoboxes on the market.
If you have "facts" to the contrary I would love to see them.
Prove it. You have no clue what you are talking about.

I know the facts, as well as the costs of both setups. I'm just waiting to see your bullshit explaination about how its sooo much cheaper, when in reality you are wrong.

Why is it a bad design?
When you use your brakes, they get hot, right?
What happens to your brakes when they get hot? The rotor expands, the pads expand.
Park your car, pull on the park brake, let it sit. What happens now?
Everything cools off and contracts. As the parts contract, there is less clamping force applied to the rotor - the brakes back off and your car rolls down the driveway.
That is one of the most foolish statements I have ever read. First of all, brake pads do not "expand". They are not made of metal. Second of all, rotors expand outwards. They do not get measureably thicker. And we're talking minimal amounts here, in thousandths of an inch. When you apply pressure with the parking brake, that insignificant amount is not going to make any difference.

Real world test you can do yourself - get rolling down the road at a decent pace, say 40 - 50 mph. Apply the brake slightly and hold the pedal in the same position* - you will feel the braking becoming more effective as the brakes heat up and expand
No you won't. Thats complete bullshit that you just made up. If anything, you will experience brake fade which causes the brakes to work less effectively.

Why do you insist on making things up?? Your entire post is a joke, you obviously have no clue about the subject at hand.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:32 PM

I normally park my car in 1st/2nd/reverse. Last week, I somehow had the car in 4th and 'parked' the car just to see it start rolling. Yes, it was in gear, you could hear the motor trying to turn as if I was trying to push start it

Lesson to learn (more like what I learned that day): Make sure you're in 1st/2nd/reverse before parking in gear And e-Brake is always nice as long as it's not raining and winter weather.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
Prove it. You have no clue what you are talking about.

I know the facts, as well as the costs of both setups. I'm just waiting to see your bullshit explaination about how its sooo much cheaper, when in reality you are wrong.

Still waiting for some.......from you. Lower part count, easier assembly = lower cost.
You think that maybe there is a reason BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Audi, etc use drum in hat setups while the low cost domestics use what they do? Use your head for more than a hatrack.......

That is one of the most foolish statements I have ever read. First of all, brake pads do not "expand". They are not made of metal.

Wtf has metal got to do with it? Everything expands when heated. This is grade school physics, sorry if you didn't pay attention in class.
Second of all, rotors expand outwards. They do not get measureably thicker.

An object, when heated, will expand in equal proportion in all directions - if it gets 10% bigger in diameter it gets 10% thicker. Very measurable.

And we're talking minimal amounts here, in thousandths of an inch. When you apply pressure with the parking brake, that insignificant amount is not going to make any difference.

Every thousandth of an inch counts. I can shrink a bearing race by .003" by cooling it, drop it in a hub. Once the temperatures equalize you will NOT remove it without destroying it. A few thou don't matter?

No you won't. Thats complete bullshit that you just made up. If anything, you will experience brake fade which causes the brakes to work less effectively.

OK, 1/2 a point for you. Yes, the brakes will fade eventually. Before they do, they will tighten up - which of course generates more heat and will bring on fade. Guessing you didn't try it.

Why do you insist on making things up?? Your entire post is a joke, you obviously have no clue about the subject at hand.
If you have knowledge, you will find no need to "make things up", nor to lower yourself to name calling on an internet forum. Well done.

Ah, never mind - stay in school dude, and study a bit of physics. Or study 4 years of it like I did.

You might be surprised what you learn.