Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

ABS Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABS Problems?

Guys, before you rip me apart, I know ABS is a good thing but hear me out.

Does anyone have ABS kick in at inappropriate times? Like turning around a bend and you hit a bump and all the sudden it is pumping? Mine does this alot and I don't like it. Just now it put me in a real dangerous situation cuz I was turning around a sharp turn and hit a bump the ABS kicked in and before I knew it I was going way to fast around the bend. thought I was gonna lose it. by the time I lifted and depressed the pedal again, it was too late to be effective.

Is it normal for it to kick in at this time, I'm not stomping the pedal, just a casual brake.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS kicks on during the loss of traction. If you hit a bump and the tire looses it resistance to the ground you will in essence not slow down as much as you would on a smoother road.

Same situation without ABS. Tires lock up and you slow down fast but traction is now at 0% which is in every direction, thus rendering steering useless. So centrifigual force wants the car to go straight into the other lane or off the road depending on which way you are turning. IE, alot more dangerous.

Generally this occurs on vehicles with to tight of suspension (bouncy). And GM made this cars suspension a little bit stiffer then other vehicles for better handling at the sacrifice of ride quality.

ABS will brake the car the maximum amount without the tires locking up better then you ever could without ABS. Just watch your driving and the roads, brake into the turn, accell thru and out....

This is true in any car. I notice ABS kicking on with my 18" wheels vs my stock 17" winter wheels just because of less side wall on the 18 making a stiffer ride...
Old 06-15-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt
Guys, before you rip me apart, I know ABS is a good thing but hear me out.

Does anyone have ABS kick in at inappropriate times? Like turning around a bend and you hit a bump and all the sudden it is pumping? Mine does this alot and I don't like it. Just now it put me in a real dangerous situation cuz I was turning around a sharp turn and hit a bump the ABS kicked in and before I knew it I was going way to fast around the bend. thought I was gonna lose it. by the time I lifted and depressed the pedal again, it was too late to be effective.

Is it normal for it to kick in at this time, I'm not stomping the pedal, just a casual brake.
This is the EXACT same complaint that most people who haven't been explained ABS have, so you're not alone. Just as he^ said, it kicks in when traction is lost. I promise, in that situation if the tires had for some reason locked up it would have been way more dangerous. Steering > Skidding.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know what ABS is and I am a big fan. but when I am just holding on the brake to slow down around a bed and all the sudden there is less stop it becomes quite disturbing. The heart was pumping big time.

The ABS has saved me once or twice already in coming to a stop in time, but i sincerely feel it almost cost me today around the off ramp
Old 06-16-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt
I know what ABS is and I am a big fan. but when I am just holding on the brake to slow down around a bed and all the sudden there is less stop it becomes quite disturbing. The heart was pumping big time.

The ABS has saved me once or twice already in coming to a stop in time, but i sincerely feel it almost cost me today around the off ramp
Only thing you can really do is first check make sure the pressure in your tires isnt too high (unlikely). Then try to drive around a little slower. Or look into a better suspension setup, I'm running Tein coilovers and they work beautifully....I'm sure someone has a nice setup for the balt...
Old 06-16-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by CynicX
ABS kicks on during the loss of traction. If you hit a bump and the tire looses it resistance to the ground you will in essence not slow down as much as you would on a smoother road.

Same situation without ABS. Tires lock up and you slow down fast but traction is now at 0% which is in every direction, thus rendering steering useless. So centrifigual force wants the car to go straight into the other lane or off the road depending on which way you are turning. IE, alot more dangerous.

Generally this occurs on vehicles with to tight of suspension (bouncy). And GM made this cars suspension a little bit stiffer then other vehicles for better handling at the sacrifice of ride quality.

ABS will brake the car the maximum amount without the tires locking up better then you ever could without ABS. Just watch your driving and the roads, brake into the turn, accell thru and out....

This is true in any car. I notice ABS kicking on with my 18" wheels vs my stock 17" winter wheels just because of less side wall on the 18 making a stiffer ride...

That makes alot of sense now... because my car lowered seems to have the abs pumping (and me not slowing down) alot when i go over a bump or something stupid like that.

Any recommendations on how to help this out? On my old car (camaro) the ABS saved me quite a few times but liek i said it seems like the only time it enguages it doesnt do **** anyway. Would bigger brakes help? (i got 235/40/18 nitto 555s for tires)
Old 06-17-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
That makes alot of sense now... because my car lowered seems to have the abs pumping (and me not slowing down) alot when i go over a bump or something stupid like that.

Any recommendations on how to help this out? On my old car (camaro) the ABS saved me quite a few times but liek i said it seems like the only time it enguages it doesnt do **** anyway. Would bigger brakes help? (i got 235/40/18 nitto 555s for tires)
Bigger brakes may make it worse. You want maximum traction on the road, good tires is a must. But if the tire is bouncing off the ground then tires wont do anything. Aftermarket struts helped mine....