Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Ac line ruptured - Chevy dealer says my fault...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ac line ruptured - Chevy dealer says my fault...

Ok so today on my way home from the park (usually go running mid day) Im getting ready to turn into the store when I hear what sounds like the car overheating. I pull in check the gauges they say 187 so I go ahead and pop the car since i see steam...

So I look in and what do I see? The ac line hit one of the engine pullies and ruptured. ****! So I go into one of the Chevy dealers here in st.louis. They tell me due to my cold air intake they will not warranty it!! Wtf!?!?! my intakes been on there since last summer. They said the a/c lines were moved and that caused the rub. Now I never moved the line plus all the hold downs and tie downs are still inplace and it looks just like my families other cobalt!

So anyway the guy goes onto say that if gm meant for these cars to have an intake like the injen on my car that they wouldve made one. I point out that they did make one (GMPP). He said well then obviously since he hasnt seen one the factory one is the best and to stick with it. And goes onto to say this is why people shouldnt modify a car they got right from the factory.

So he asks to take my vin number and setup and appointment. I just threw my jegs magazine over the vin and told him to seriously go **** himself. He said that I didnt need to talk to him like that. So I asked if he had ever done anything to a car besides put gas in it and change the headlights. He responded with "well ive been doing my own oil changes since before you were born" I was born in 82 this guys looks like hes 35... But whatever. So I just laughed and started to walk away but had to get in the last word... So my temper getting the best of me I turned around and said "Excuse me sir, Do me a favor and DONT ****ING BREED! This world has enough ****tards around with you adding more" then got in the car..... yeah ok that was stupid and immature but god it felt good after dealing with him acting superior and all knowing.....

So this week I will put the factory intake back on the car and take it back in... since it obviously caused the failure........

Any other suggestion??? Besides keeping my cool???

cliff notes:
ac line ruptures
gm denies warranty
service department get an attitude
I lose my cool
cars going back to stock
Old 04-13-2010, 08:10 PM

wow that sucks man gl with the repairs
Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
You made an ass out of yourself in the service department.

Nice job!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 PM

Suggestion. Take it to another dealer?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cobalttc05
Suggestion. Take it to another dealer?
this with you stock parts in. Thats why I kept mine
Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 PM

i wouldn't go back to the same dealer lol i think they'd remember u after that
Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 PM

This is why I don't let my dad go into dealships, he's a "people person, DAMMIT" like you haha.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
You made an ass out of yourself in the service department.

Nice job!
It was actually outside. But talking down to a customer that knows more than you is typically not a good idea. I was raised where you never talk to a customer like he talked to me. Trust me im calm and cool till someone crosses a line. He crossed the line.

Originally Posted by Chinelli3589
this with you stock parts in. Thats why I kept mine
Yeah stock parts will be going back on
Originally Posted by koch1ar
i wouldn't go back to the same dealer lol i think they'd remember u after that
Yeah I dont think thats a problem Shouldve known after they raped me on my eclipse...
Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR
This is why I don't let my dad go into dealships, he's a "people person, DAMMIT" like you haha.
Im fine and calm until people throw out stupid info have no idea what they are talking about and act like they are superior while talking out of their ass.

this guy went out of his way to show me how I couldve moved the line. All the original nuts bolts and hold downs are holding the line in its original place. The whole bit about the gmpp intake was irritating as all hell. Plus his line on doing oil changes before I was born was irritating... I almost told him I was assembling engines before he graduated high school....

But yeah time for a new dealership!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
Ok so today on my way home from the park (usually go running mid day) Im getting ready to turn into the store when I hear what sounds like the car overheating. I pull in check the gauges they say 187 so I go ahead and pop the car since i see steam...

So I look in and what do I see? The ac line hit one of the engine pullies and ruptured. ****! So I go into one of the Chevy dealers here in st.louis. They tell me due to my cold air intake they will not warranty it!! Wtf!?!?! my intakes been on there since last summer. They said the a/c lines were moved and that caused the rub. Now I never moved the line plus all the hold downs and tie downs are still inplace and it looks just like my families other cobalt!

So anyway the guy goes onto say that if gm meant for these cars to have an intake like the injen on my car that they wouldve made one. I point out that they did make one (GMPP). He said well then obviously since he hasnt seen one the factory one is the best and to stick with it. And goes onto to say this is why people shouldnt modify a car they got right from the factory.

So he asks to take my vin number and setup and appointment. I just threw my jegs magazine over the vin and told him to seriously go **** himself. He said that I didnt need to talk to him like that. So I asked if he had ever done anything to a car besides put gas in it and change the headlights. He responded with "well ive been doing my own oil changes since before you were born" I was born in 82 this guys looks like hes 35... But whatever. So I just laughed and started to walk away but had to get in the last word... So my temper getting the best of me I turned around and said "Excuse me sir, Do me a favor and DONT ****ING BREED! This world has enough ****tards around with you adding more" then got in the car..... yeah ok that was stupid and immature but god it felt good after dealing with him acting superior and all knowing.....

So this week I will put the factory intake back on the car and take it back in... since it obviously caused the failure........

cliff notes:
ac line ruptures
gm denies warranty
I lose my cool
cars going back to stock
Read This Post The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/your-rights-about-your-car-warranty-aftermarket-mods-7439/
Old 04-15-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by mongorat427

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7439
oh sure but if the service guy is right and stuff has been moved to where it rubs, then that MM act is worthless. yea i know he says he didnt move anything but who knows. maybe the intake is whats rubbing on the ac lines, which if so hes sol.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
When stock, the AC lines wouldn't have rubbed on anything, so I have to side with the service guy. Whether you know it or not, you moved or changed something in the config of the AC lines or something around them. It's operator error. You played, now you pay.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by mongorat427

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7439
Yeah I read it. However the dealership blamed the failure of the part on an aftermarket part. Which in the warranty act is one of the loopholes for them....

So I can spent time fighting it... or return it to stock. try again. And if that fails the line is 46 bux through my buddies work and he will vacuum out the system and recharge it for me for a case of good beer.
Originally Posted by LethalSS
oh sure but if the service guy is right and stuff has been moved to where it rubs, then that MM act is worthless. yea i know he says he didnt move anything but who knows. maybe the intake is whats rubbing on the ac lines, which if so hes sol.
Intake is nowhere near the lines. Period.

Originally Posted by SSlobalt
When stock, the AC lines wouldn't have rubbed on anything, so I have to side with the service guy. Whether you know it or not, you moved or changed something in the config of the AC lines or something around them. It's operator error. You played, now you pay.
I have my cobalt to compare to my families cobalt. Trust me the intake didnt move the line one bit. All of the factory hold downs are still there. And its a hard metal line. It would take an intentional effort to move it from its location. So Id think id remember that.
Trust me ive been working on cars for almost 14 years. Im not some newb kid. And in their stock location my families bone stock 08 2.4 sport the ac line is a 1/2 inch away from the pulley. So its far from operator error.

So overall im fairly irritated. And at this point I might as well cancel my extended warranty as im not sure what the hell im paying for that for.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a K&N intake and it doesnt go anywhere near my ac lines.
It rubs on my PCM, and is close to my brake lines at my ABS controller, and at one time rubed on the resavour for the engine coolant.

cliff notes:
ac line ruptures
gm denies warranty
I lose my cool
cars going back to stock
Old 04-16-2010, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by insylem
I have a K&N intake and it doesnt go anywhere near my ac lines.
It rubs on my PCM, and is close to my brake lines at my ABS controller, and at one time rubed on the resavour for the engine coolant.
Mine rubs slightly on the valve cover thats about it. But I guess thats close to the ac lines....
Old 04-16-2010, 03:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I read it. However the dealership blamed the failure of the part on an aftermarket part. Which in the warranty act is one of the loopholes for them....
They'll try to blame a bad muffler on a CAI if they think you'll believe it.

The burden of proof is on the dealership under the Magnuson Moss Act in the US. The A/C lines are nowhere near where a CAI would be routed. I suggest taking it to another dealer.