Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Accelerometer Location?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Accelerometer Location?

Many cobablt owners have complained of their cars stalling when hitting bumps hard. I happen to be one of these owners. When taking the vehicle to the dealership the solutions range from "We can not replicate the problem", "You have too many keys on your key ring" (Ignition problem), "Sounds like an electrical problem" (Check grounds).

I have been given the run around many times when trying to resolve the problem. I have taken it upon myself to do some further research into the matter. I came across an owner who finally got the problem resolved after much effort fighting with the dealership and contacting GM. The solution ended up being that the BCM needed to be replaced. I began talking about this with some other car enthusiasts and we were wondering why the problem would be the BCM.

All cars are equipped with a safety device called an accelerometer. These are used to detect a collision and cause the car to shut off. This sounds like a likely suspect as to what may be causing the problems with all these vehicles randomly shutting down when hitting a large bump. This raises the question, where is the accelerometer located on the cobalt? If the answer is the BCM we have a definitive reason why replacing the BCM resolves this problem. Does anyone know the answer to this question?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think our cars have this. Being in 2 accidents myself with my 2010 cobalt. Im pretty sure our engine is shut off when an air bag is deployed. my 1st accident my air bags went off and the engine of cut. My second accident my air bags didnt deploy/ despite being hit at 30mph from the rear/ and my car stayed on.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 AM

This happened to me.. i hit a pot hole on the highway doing about 70 and the car died and stayed dead.. the dealership found that the main fuse in the trunk connected to the battery had shorted and popped... they replaced it, no more problems... check the fuse in the trunk its kinda big and noticeable on the wiring...
Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
very possible there is something in the BCM, but usually the issue with the BCM is a short/grounding issue, and simply moving everything around while replacing it solves the problem. Buddy's car locally had an issue with the door locks going off randomly when hitting bumps, along with the shutting off. Replced the BCM to alleviate the door lock issue, and the shutting down went away as well.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by CleanCut
This happened to me.. i hit a pot hole on the highway doing about 70 and the car died and stayed dead.. the dealership found that the main fuse in the trunk connected to the battery had shorted and popped... they replaced it, no more problems... check the fuse in the trunk its kinda big and noticeable on the wiring...
If this had blown the car would not restart. Most people that experience this problem are able to restart the car after it stalls. Some are able to put it in neutral, others have to come to a complete stop and put it in park.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:24 AM

A fuse shorting? Thats bullshit...
A Fuse by design is normal to be shorted. Its suposed to have LOW resistance, or it would interfear with the circuit it protects.

Its possible the fuse was overloaded, then blew, possibly resulting from a short. Sounds like the guy was either lying, or didnt know what the **** he's talking about.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:44 AM

yea i understand its supposed to short if the voltage goes to a certain point.. im not lying its what happened just trying to help out.. insylem, go f*** yourself
Old 11-20-2010, 07:55 PM

My car is at the shop currently for control arm bushings (3rd time) and for the stalling problem. We will see what they come up with. All I know is if its not corrected I will be contacting GM as this is about the 5th time I have requested it to be fixed