Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Air box mod sucking in snow? Very hard engine jerking / misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air box mod sucking in snow? Very hard engine jerking / misfiring

Well, I'm already heading to the dealership tomorrow for an unrelated issue (and I'd love some opinions on that too..):

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...-stops-225219/

So I thought I'd ask for some opinions...

I did the airbox mod for the supercharged SS. I took off the lower "lid" thing, shoved a high flow filter in it, and drilled some (rather large) holes to tighten it in. Haven't had a problem since... until it started snowing yesterday.

Randomly, in deep, blowing snow or with it snowing very hard, I'd get what would feel like a very violent jerk in my engine. It felt like I slammed on my clutch and dumped it right back off. Or like someone slammed on my brakes for a split seconds. The RPMs never actually moved that I could see, but it wasn't pleasant.

Well, I had no choice but to head to work, and by all means once the car warmed up a bit it only did it once every 10 minutes or so, although it was a bit random. In higher gears it didn't seem as rough if that means anything.

Today, though, it only did it once or twice right after pulling out of my unplowed parking lot at my apartment. Once I was on plowed, salted roads I didn't see it again for the rest of my hour and a half commute, nor on the way home.

So, I came to the conclusion that my airbox mod was probably sucking in snow, which obviously isn't something I want to mess around with. What would be the best fix, here? I'd imagine even with the lid removed a CAI intake is much more exposed, why would this happen? Should I just put the lid back on it (and kill my beautiful SC whine)? Grab a whole new OEM airbox (under $100)?

Could it be something else entirely and my guess is wrong?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll be heading to the dealership early in the morning - I don't know anything mechanically about cars nor am I fixing one with no garage, no tools, and a snow/ice covered parking lot to lay on, so instead my pocket gets to be hurt
Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 PM

I know from experience, that you are very capable of hydrolocking your motor with your current setup.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 PM

hydro shield?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by c1_c1rca
hydro shield?
The snow is probably accumulating on the filter, and starving the motor more than actually sucking in water.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 PM

How is this setup any different / worse then a cold air intake, though? It's mostly blocked off by the underbody's plastic, whereas a CAI is basically sticking out completely exposed...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to mess around with it. If I have to stock an OEM box on it to be safe, I'll be doing so tomorrow. But I'm confused as to how it's possible.

I should also note I wasn't able to find any reason to believe there's actually water entering the engine. The oil looks as clean as ever, and the car idles perfectly fine. This ONLY happens in gear, and seems to mostly happen under very light acceleration. It also did not happen in ~100 miles today since 7am or so, and the car is still accelerating like a champ now that the roads are cleared.

Last edited by c0Ld; 01-13-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by c0Ld
How is this setup any different / worse then a cold air intake, though? It's mostly blocked off by the underbody's plastic, whereas a CAI is basically sticking out completely exposed...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to mess around with it. If I have to stock an OEM box on it to be safe, I'll be doing so tomorrow. But I'm confused as to how it's possible.
I would assume the supercharger is producing alot more vacuum than a traditional N/A or turbo setup. Causing it to be alot more detrimental on our cars.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 PM

Maybe. Now that is is no longer bad out my car is running perfectly fine, but I'm not going to risk feeling my engine jerk in pain a second time. Has anyone ever felt similar symptoms? I've never felt an actual misfire, so I'm not sure if that's even the right way to describe it..
Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Elite v1
The snow is probably accumulating on the filter, and starving the motor more than actually sucking in water.

Probably. I've driven in really heavy rain and never felt this, so it's definitely snow-exclusive.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Block the hole by the fog light so the snow can't get in,if the snow is real deep it might of forced in and filled the cavity around the air box and froze in there.
There's really no other way for enough snow to come in that would cause problems.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 PM

...hole by the fog light? Is it under the car? I've never seen it.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:29 AM

I'm pretty sure its on top of the fog light but haven't been in there for a while .
When I first put the CAI in I remember seeing it there but then I had the whole fender liner out and the wheel off.Now I just access it through the flap.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:48 AM

Not trying to be a smart ass.. But why not invest in a decent CAI w/ a hydro shield? Problem solved.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 PM

I'm not even remotely mechanically inclined. I do plan to get a CAI this spring, but I'll have to find somewhere to put it in which won't be easy around here.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:46 PM

If you can do an airbox mod then you can do an intake. Its pretty simple with the right tools. I did it years ago with zero knowledge and came out fine.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Use the stock intake with the bottom lid if you plan on driving your car in the snow/rain.

-GM Build Book
Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mindrot
Not trying to be a smart ass.. But why not invest in a decent CAI w/ a hydro shield? Problem solved.

Why I will forever and always keep an enclosed filter on my car, even if it pushed 500whp out the back.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW bro that sucks^^^
Old 01-15-2012, 01:33 AM

Guess I'll be the first to say it.....

But when it comes to CAI's and the airbox mod is the MAF getting wet. Take it out, see if it's wet. Or just replace it and see. Then invest in some sort of hydro shield. Or find a stock air box.

That's the cheapest, easiest thing to check. And most common.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 AM

^ Right. My filter was COVERED in slush and crap and was soaking wet. I'm just saying screw it and putting a replacement in it rather then trying to clean it off.

For now, I've put the lid back on it. I miss hearing my supercharger, but that's about the only benefit - I can barely notice any power difference. I'm guessing/hoping the (large) holes I drilled on the side to tighten down my high flow filter don't let anything in, but since they're kind of facing against the fender I don't think water is capable of getting to them anyway. But when our filter is four inches off the damn ground it's not worth risking the lid for now.

I will probably go for a cold air intake with a high quality hydroshield in the spring (there's *NO* way I'm getting under my car in 10 degree weather :p), but for now, my supercharger is silent again :'(

My brake issue I linked to ended up being the fluid being a tad low from a lazy brake job by the dealership I bought it from, plus my front rotors were a tad warped. Luckily with a friend working at this dealership I walked away without paying anything.

Edit: The most baffling part is why a wet MAF sensor never bothered to throw a check engine light after two hours of random misfiring/lugging.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 AM
USA Y U NO HAVE AUTOBAHN?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sucking up water and restricting the air flow will cause the problem you're having EXACTLY

Had to buy a hydroshield for to resolve this problem in rain.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:44 AM
USA Y U NO HAVE AUTOBAHN?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TTR sells hydroshields
Old 01-15-2012, 11:59 AM

Do you mind linking to a good one that's affordable? I've never heard of TTR.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Elite v1
^This.

I sucked water into my LNF the first year I had it, you'll get a misfire and likely a flashing CEL.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Well, it finally threw a CEL, P0420. I don't know why it's just now throwing it now that it's running fine again, but..

This seems to be related to a dead/dying cat converter, not the air filter like I had guessed. I'm fully stock with the exception of my high flow air filter (and now that the lid's back on it, it doesn't even make a difference). I don't notice much of a problem now, maybe a tiny bit of stuttering under very light acceleration such as in snow, but that could just be my tires fighting for traction too. I think I'll wait a few days to see if the code disappears or head back to the stealership...
Old 01-15-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to Chevrolet, there is a recall for the CATALYTIC CONVERTERS on our cars. 06' and 07' years had defective catalytic that are a free replacement via GM. Give them a call if thats the issue. A clogged cat is never good. No more BOOST!

Quick Reply: Air box mod sucking in snow? Very hard engine jerking / misfiring