Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Axel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axel Swap

i know alot of you balter's have snapped axels. how do you replace em. never dont it on a gm FWD. and my redline broke a driver side axel. any help appreciated.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:32 PM

Jack the car up, take the tire of, back off the axle nut, take castle nut off tie rod end, pop out tie rod end, move tir-rod out of the way, undo balljoint pinch, pop out the balljoint(be very careful not to damage the boot on the ball joint), move lower CA out of the way as much as is possible. Now you may have to unbolt the strut as well depending on the amount of play in the knuckle once the ball joint is removed. I would reccommend thenuts on the top of the strut as they are much easier to re-install later. Now to remove the axle from the hub you should use the proper Puller( IT IS NOT RECCOMMENDED THAT YOU USE A HAMMER to PUNCH THE AXLE OUT OF THE HUB AS THIS COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE DIFFERENTIAL). Now the hardest part is removing the axle from the tranny, it is held in by circlips which can be quite a pain to fight against. but if you can get the righjt leverage on the inner CV joint it should come right out.

Now just install the new axle(make sure to tup up the tranny fluid as some will leak out), asnd put everything back where is was before
Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 PM

dont have a puller but im redneck enough i think i can ge her done with out any problems. or damage to the diff.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Banned

listen. or read. really easy. jack up car. remove wheel. remove axle nut. remove tie rod end nut and pop tie rod out with a hammer (hit the knuckle where the tie rod end goes into, dont hit the tie rod end). remove the lower ball joint nut and pop the knuckle off the ball joint(hit the knuckle again, not the ball joint). now pop the axle out of the knuckle. i usually use an air hammer, but i dont think you'll be using one at home so maybe thread the nut on a little and tap it out. i've never damaged or seen a diff damaged by doing this so i think youll be ok. it'll loosen up and you can pull it out of the knuckle. i tie the knuckle back with a bungee cord. now you'll have to hit the end of the axle (the joint housing) to pop it out of the trans. sounds hard but its really really easy. you shouldnt have to take off the knuckle, and i wouldnt want to, cause when you undo the strut you'll mess up your alignment specs.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:05 AM

good advice. but im not worried about getting it off the trans. thats where the cv is granaded. but still in the boot. i know cause thats where the axel looks sunk when jacked it up to look at it. thanks for the tip about re using the nut. and all the help. will up date on the R and R. have a good one