Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Axle click?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Axle click?

I have a major problem with my car. The axles click when I turn, accelerate, decelerate, and let the clutch out. Does anyone else have this problem? I've already had both of my axles replaced TWICE and the problem went away after each time. But of course it comes back within a few thousand miles. Thoughts?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think its a cobalt thing cuz mine do it too. bump for a straight answer
Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnySasakiMGS
I have a major problem with my car. The axles click when I turn, accelerate, decelerate, and let the clutch out. Does anyone else have this problem? I've already had both of my axles replaced TWICE and the problem went away after each time. But of course it comes back within a few thousand miles. Thoughts?
I brought mine in not too long ago for this problem, They replaced the bearings (well the whole hub) and it was fixed. It got real baad after awhile. Are u still in warrenty?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 PM

I have this prob. too!! Is there any danger if I keep on driving with the clicking sound?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Banned

i brought this up a while ago and the general response was that they all do that pretty much.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 PM

The axles would fall under the 5yr/100kmi warranty. Im still covered.

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i brought this up a while ago and the general response was that they all do that pretty much.
Thats whats really screwed up though. Theres no way in hell they should be clicking as much as mine and still be "normal".

I can make a turn at a redlight and go up to 3rd gear and hear the clicking about 8 times.

Originally Posted by Jesse_Chouinard
I have this prob. too!! Is there any danger if I keep on driving with the clicking sound?
I don't know yet. I'd really like to find out though.

Last edited by JohnnySasakiMGS; 10-01-2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-01-2008, 05:58 PM

it's a VERY common thing with this car. not only does my car do it, but every other ss I've seen does too. Not only that, but mine makes a faint.....what I can only describe as a high-pitched buzzing noise through second and third gear, not all the time, but it does it often

I can make a turn at a redlight and go up to 3rd gear and hear the clicking about 8 times.

hmmm.....now that does sound different

Last edited by arkkornkid; 10-01-2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-01-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Doesn't sound like normal axle click to me. Mine click like once or twice, but not that often. Something isn't right.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:30 PM

I brought it to Denooyer and they found my control arm was rubbing something. They "fixed" that but the click is still there. Their "master" tech said it was gear lash. Yeah ****** right.

Originally Posted by arkkornkid
it's a VERY common thing with this car. not only does my car do it, but every other ss I've seen does too. Not only that, but mine makes a faint.....what I can only describe as a high-pitched buzzing noise through second and third gear, not all the time, but it does it often

hmmm.....now that does sound different
Its only when there is a change in load on the axles. I thought maybe it was the LSD locking and unlocking but that wouldnt happen when the wheels are straight right? And plus I seriously hope that a LSD would'nt make this car sound like its going to fall apart. I'm nervous about showing up to car shows now.

Last edited by JohnnySasakiMGS; 10-01-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
lol Denooyer ftl!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:25 PM

that happend to me too but it does it for a couple of days then it stops for 2 or 3 weeks then it comes back :s
Old 10-01-2008, 08:18 PM

well i drove it around for a long time and then it got extremly loud, and thats exactly when it happened when it loads and unloads. Just go front to reverse back and forth to show the dealer and they will noticably hear it. Also bearings are not covered under powertrain.

As for dangereous goes... I didnt think so (now Im not trying to scare you at all) but Im sure you guys all know Tony CTCOBALTSS from CT started on the boards in 05 and has recently dissapeared. Well it happened to his the bearings seized up when he was doing 65 jerked the wheel and I believe broke the control arm or ball joint not sure which one. His car spun around like 2 times on the highway hitting another car and the gaurdrail. Not cool....
He got it fixed after 6 months and now hes not really into it anymore.
They had mine for a week and a half cause they couldnt find parts anywhere. Free rental that I took on vaca and racked up 1500 miles with.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
subscribed mine do it all the time and I have an 06 with 27k on it what should i do?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:29 PM

i told the dealership i go to, and they said they checked and didnt find something wrong or hear anything.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 PM

Clicking would be a sign of CV Joints going bad, and Not normal. Front Hub/Bearing wouldnt click, but would have a grind, or whining sound.

Got a question for all those having this problem, Who is lowered? And, Do you have any vibration while the Clicking noise is going on.

Just wondering, cause ever since I have installed my sportlines I have had a serious vibration that comes on at 20mph and speeds up as the car does. I have checked, double checked and triple checked every nut and bolt and they are all good and at the correct TQ. And I replaced both Hub/Bearing assemblies cause they were going out. I feel now that it is the CV Axles/Joints causing the vibration. But it didnt do a thing on the stock ss/sc springs. Just once I lowered the car. Seems to only do it under a load and really bad when making a hard left turn, thus loading the right front wheel. Which is where I feel the most of the vibration. Oh and let me add my alignment is good.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by 06SS/SC STAGE2
Clicking would be a sign of CV Joints going bad, and Not normal. Front Hub/Bearing wouldnt click, but would have a grind, or whining sound.

Got a question for all those having this problem, Who is lowered? And, Do you have any vibration while the Clicking noise is going on.

Just wondering, cause ever since I have installed my sportlines I have had a serious vibration that comes on at 20mph and speeds up as the car does. I have checked, double checked and triple checked every nut and bolt and they are all good and at the correct TQ. And I replaced both Hub/Bearing assemblies cause they were going out. I feel now that it is the CV Axles/Joints causing the vibration. But it didnt do a thing on the stock ss/sc springs. Just once I lowered the car. Seems to only do it under a load and really bad when making a hard left turn, thus loading the right front wheel. Which is where I feel the most of the vibration. Oh and let me add my alignment is good.
now that i think of it, since i lowered it like 6 weeks ago? i havent really heard the noise, all though i just got my car running again like 10 days ago? but it seems like they whent away.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 PM

Hmmm, thats interesting. Now I dont have the clicking, but the above mentioned vibration. Im gonna be replacing my CV Axles in the very near future. Cause at times and certain loads its like the front end is coming apart. The only thing I can come up with is the CV axles and joints develop worn areas in them and that could cause the clicking or in my case the vibration. Due to the change in angle of the axle/joint. Which is now and upward angle vs stock a downward angle. But very interesting.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 PM

Its only when there is a change in load on the axles. I thought maybe it was the LSD locking and unlocking but that wouldnt happen when the wheels are straight right? And plus I seriously hope that a LSD would'nt make this car sound like its going to fall apart. I'm nervous about showing up to car shows now.
My car does it...but only once in awhile..basically as everyone says...with the loads changing. But I dont have a lsd, so I wouldnt worry about that....seems as if all ss/sc's seem to do it. Although some members have changed to "upgraded" stage axles and the clicking has seemed to have gone away with them...I dunno....it doesnt feel dangerous in anyway...its more annoying than anything.

Originally Posted by arkkornkid
I've heard this high pitch...I thought it was the tranny and not the axles. It only happens on cold start for me...especially since the weather is getting colder up here too...I'll have to keep an eye out on this too.

Last edited by cobaltR; 10-01-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-01-2008, 09:49 PM

The clicking noise is not a good thing, if it turns into a generic humming sound while driving get to a repair shop asap... lost my passenger front axle about 2 months ago, luckily I had reported it to my dealer several times and they checked it out thoroughly 2x on the lift and 4 other visual inspections within 20k miles and had no choice but to warranty it. Luckily for me all new 2007 and newer vehicles were bumped up to a 5yr 100k mile limited warranty. So cruising with 42k miles on it now and still bringing it in.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:01 PM

So your having to bring it in again, even after replacing them once?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ragnarok69
The clicking noise is not a good thing, if it turns into a generic humming sound while driving get to a repair shop asap... lost my passenger front axle about 2 months ago, luckily I had reported it to my dealer several times and they checked it out thoroughly 2x on the lift and 4 other visual inspections within 20k miles and had no choice but to warranty it. Luckily for me all new 2007 and newer vehicles were bumped up to a 5yr 100k mile limited warranty. So cruising with 42k miles on it now and still bringing it in.
But most of these "clicking" sounds are not your typical bad axle/bad bearing sounds. If you have mulitple clicking sounds with a generic humming then you have a problem, which is what the OP sounds like he has. Even after axle replacements....almost all have had their unusual "clicking" sounds reappear. If someone has found a cure for this I'd like to know, but their isnt one to my knowledge.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:44 PM

No humming just clicking. I'll take this info with me to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I'm going to see several different dealers about this issue. I'm sure it would look bad for GM to have one of their best cars rolling into a local car meet sounding like a POS. I can see all the honda homos snickering...
Old 10-02-2008, 06:36 AM

From what I have read the car is a pos. If I would have researched a little more than what I did, I wouldnt have bought this thing. The build quality isnt up to par and defiantly not up to my standards.
Good luck at the dealer, keep us posted.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 06SS/SC STAGE2

Lowering or raising a vehicle with cv shafts will most certainly cause clicking and driveline vibration especially if it is lowered more than 1/2 inch. My Gmc sierra did that when I cranked the torsion bars up, it vibrated going down the highway and it clicked quite a bit also.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by cobaltR
I've heard this high pitch...I thought it was the tranny and not the axles. It only happens on cold start for me...especially since the weather is getting colder up here too...I'll have to keep an eye out on this too.
I'm not sure exactly what it is, it mostly starts when I goose it and then goes away after a few seconds.... I've just recently noticed it. And it has been cooler here, hadn't thought about that. The fact that it's not a constant noise is why I'm not too worried about it at this point, it's just an annoyance.

Quick Reply: Axle click?