Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Bad Struts/going on 2k mile trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Struts/going on 2k mile trip

Hey guys,
So I'm a huge noob when it comes to certain things on my car. Apparently my struts are going bad on my car (nothing major right now just some clicking when i turn and a slight cut to the right while driving). But my concern is, can this cause major problems on this cross country drive I plan on doing? I don't really have the money to fix it right at this moment and plan on fixing it when I get to where I'm going, but I just want to know I'll be safe.

Also, what struts would you guys recommend?

Thanks,
California
Old 11-15-2013, 11:16 AM

if you are not getting lound clunks and rattles when going over bumps i wouldnt worry too much about it.

worst case senario, you drive it till theres nothing left and you wear out some ball joints, wear out tires and endlinks get slammed.

your fine

also that click your hearing could be anything related to the front end. unless your struts are doing other things ( clunks, etc ) i wouldnt even assume your struts are at fault yet.

e/ struts tend to make themselves very well known when their blown... you will know i guarntee it lol. very lound BANGS when hitting bumps
Old 11-15-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 05g5
if you are not getting lound clunks and rattles when going over bumps i wouldnt worry too much about it.

worst case senario, you drive it till theres nothing left and you wear out some ball joints, wear out tires and endlinks get slammed.

your fine

also that click your hearing could be anything related to the front end. unless your struts are doing other things ( clunks, etc ) i wouldnt even assume your struts are at fault yet.

e/ struts tend to make themselves very well known when their blown... you will know i guarntee it lol. very lound BANGS when hitting bumps
Well I've gone to two places to get some work done, and both of them told me my struts are going bad without me even saying anything about them. I was told the clicking only occurs from a cold start, when the struts have not been used for a few hours.

Thank you for the input, I feel a bit safer now going on this trip. :P haha
Old 11-15-2013, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by California
Well I've gone to two places to get some work done, and both of them told me my struts are going bad without me even saying anything about them. I was told the clicking only occurs from a cold start, when the struts have not been used for a few hours.

Thank you for the input, I feel a bit safer now going on this trip. :P haha
To me, by you only explaining a clicking sound that they are making, is like the first tiny step to letting you know they are going bad. How the shop guys can see it already is beyod me.

Thats just my 2 cents

Mine are a few months past yours, i get some noce clunks over bigger bumps,
No real noise yet over smaller bumps, so im holding off for a bit
Old 11-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Former Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
We offer complete new FE5 strut and shock packages:

Click here to check them out

Call me with any questions you have