Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Blown Motor (2.2L)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Motor (2.2L)

Long version:

Drove to work on Tuesday morning...was stuck in some construction/gravel road for a short while...once I got out of that I pressed the gas to accelerate back up normal speed and the motor had much less power then it should of...felt like it wasn't running on all 4 cylinders or something..I turned down my music at this point and noticed a loud click click click coming from the motor that would get louder/faster the higher the RPM's got. I got on the highway at this point and the car had absolutely no top end power at all and it took longer then usual to climb in RPM. Went to see a mechanic later in the day...he said it sounded like a worn rod bearing and a new motor would be cheaper then tearing it down to repair. Planned to think about the options and do something about it next week. Proceeded to drive home after work when all of a sudden on the highway(only going 70km/h) the noise got much lounder and had a sorta grinding noise added to it....coule hundred feet later the noise is MUCH louder and the CEL is flashing on the dash on off on off on off really fast. I let off the gas completely and let it roll when it finally made a loud metal clunk noise and cut out. Now it won't start at all...just struggles and makes coughing noises when turned over. So I bought a motor today with 10000KM on it and its going in on Monday or Tuesday...anyone want to hazard a guess as to what went wrong? I plan to get a look inside once its out of the car. Motor had 97000KM on it..roughly 60000 miles i think? It's an 05 so powertrain is only 80000KM warranty so im stuck with the bill.

Also, I'd like to take the head off the car before bringing it to the shop for the engine swap....is there any how to on removing the head? I plan to keep it if nothing has been damaged in it.

Short Version:

Motor died.
Bought new one.
Want to take off head...how do i?